This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

App For Installing Multiple ISO's Onto A USB Drive

star treker

Tue May 15, 2018 1:28:37 am

Hello everyone!

Anytime I find a solution for something I need, I like to share it with other's who might need the same thing. As you know, Etcher is a wonderful app, best in my opinion for beginners. It allows you to easily select the ISO you want to flash, select the drive you wish to flash to, and Etcher handles the rest. This is good if all you want to do is flash one bootable ISO onto the drive for installation purposes.

However, if you want to flash multiple ISO's onto a external USB flash or SSD drive, Etcher is useless. I discovered an app called Multiboot USB. Link to it bellow...
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot- ... rom-linux/

Multiboot USB is an awesome easy to use app, but they really need to improve their installation instructions. The app needs to be downloaded form their site, and installed as root. After you have extracted the download to your desktop, go into your terminal and type in GKSU Nautilus, which will open your file manager as root, then you can run the installer as the instructions tell you to do.

The app has a wonderful drag and drop interface, you simply drag and drop all the ISO's you want, into the app box. The app will create a bootable USB drive with all your ISO's. For some people, they will want this ability for having multiple OS ISO's, that way they can taylor each machine to their needs based on the OS they want to install.

However, what I have done, is I bought the VectoTech Rapid 128GB external SSD drive, and I plan to use it as a service drive. I am going to use MultiBoot USB to place Zorin OS 12 Ultimate ISO, Gparted Live ISO, and Clonezilla Live ISO, onto the SSD drive. Once that is done, I am going to use Gparted on my installation to re-partition the drive into two partitions.

I am going to leave about 20GB of space for running Zorin ISO in LIVE mode, some of that space will be for Gparted and Clonezilla as well. On the second partition, will be most of the drive space available, and I will use that, to place image backups from Clonezilla. With this single drive, I can operate a computer with no OS installed on it, I can partition drives, and make backups, all via one external drive solution. :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Tue May 15, 2018 12:13:23 pm

Hi star treker,

I have been promoting that system as the best one out there and provided the tarball on this forum! :D
It is a French invention and perhaps that is why the instructions may not pan out as well as in their native tongue.
I have been having issues running it in Zorin Lite but managed to get it working, but the Drag and Drop in xfce based Lite is not playing ball - and that I had to select the .iso first - I think there are serious permissions issues and some poor apps present (Geary - never really liked it - too much like Outlook 365 at work - only worse, Parole Media Player that does not recognise Audio CD's!)
You can actually burn an iso of MultiSystem in 64-bit as an OS. ;)

star treker

Tue May 15, 2018 8:05:54 pm

I am aware of the new Zorin lite, but I haven't used it. I paid for Zorin Ultimate in 2016, so that is what I am using. Also, I noticed that Zorin has updated to version 12.3. I notice that the intelligent auto hide hasn't been improved since. I reported this issue in my feedback in 2016, which you can read about in my older threads where after awhile of running, any full screen app, prevents the auto hide panel from re-appearing when you put your curser down at the bottom of the screen, and have to hold down ALT and hit TAB in order to task switch back and fourth from the opened apps, or I could just hit the super key, and bring up something form there as well.

So how is XFCE with the lite version? I mean, other then the problem you are having with multiboot usb?

Swarfendor437

Tue May 15, 2018 8:37:07 pm

It doesn't feel as polished as Core and chromium was just horrendous freezing all the time. I wish team Zorin would stick with Mozilla apps. ;)