This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install new Fonts to Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44:55 pm

OK, so you want to change some fonts or add some new ones from your favourite open-source/creative commons/royalty-free font site.

Download the fonts - they may be in a zip folder or other archive format - extract them to a folder of the same name.

Next open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and navigate to usr | share | fonts.

Now the fonts folder and all therein is a protected system folder so you are going to have to take ownership of the 'truetypes' folder.

At the Terminal prompt enter:

Code:
sudo chown [your username] truetype

Remember after typing and entering this you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to root to take ownership of the folder - you will not see any asterisks or anything else as it is a built in security feature.

You now have control of the fonts folder so you can simply copy and paste the new font folder inside of 'truetype' - that is assuming you have downloaded a 'truetype' font.

If the font is tarballed and not from a regular source, please remember to scan it with clamav but also inspect the tarball that there are no hidden commands in addition to the font that might wipe your hard drive - See Page 87 of the Unofficial Zorin 12 Core manual.

pcfan5

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:08:35 pm

Great !, thank you!. I also need to install microsoft fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman, could it be done this way? I guess so.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15:43 pm

Hi, you don't have to do that - just read my Unofficial Manual for Zorin 12.x Core - the Microsoft Fonts can be installed from SourceForge using Wine. ;)

pcfan5

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51:25 am

thanks for the reminder ;)

pcfan5

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30:18 pm

I have just discovered that "fonts-croscore" package , from synaptics has this feature :
"Arimo, Cousine and Tinos were designed by Steve Matteson as innovative
and refreshing designs that are metrically compatible with Arial,
Courier New and Times New Roman, respectively." ;) Yupi!

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52:25 pm

pcfan5 wrote:I have just discovered that "fonts-croscore" package , from synaptics has this feature :
"Arimo, Cousine and Tinos were designed by Steve Matteson as innovative
and refreshing designs that are metrically compatible with Arial,
Courier New and Times New Roman, respectively." ;) Yupi!

Nice find. ;) :D