This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to semi automatically re-install all your packages

robertsaron

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:08:18 pm

I found out how to do this recently and thought it might be helpful to some people.

How to quickly re-install all software Debian based systems. NOTE: I have only tested these steps on Ubuntu and Zorin OS.

Before re-formatting the hard drive, and installing from scratch, or when installing on a new system, you first have to export the list of software to a file, and then back up that file to an easily accessible external source, dropbox, google drive, usb drive, etc…

In the CLI, you must first install dselect by doing the following: sudo apt install dselect
Then update dselect by doing the following: sudo apt update dselect

To output this information to a file in your home directory you would use: Sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

And if you wanted to use the list to reinstall this software on a fresh debian setup, copy the file back to your home directory and then do the following: Sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed-software

Then do: Sudo Dselect

If all goes well, any installed packages that were previously installed, before a format and re-install, will now be -re-installed automatically, without having to do them one by one. If anyone has any suggestions on this, or a better way to re-install all packages, with out having to do them manually, I would love to hear your thoughts.

While it is possible to view the contents of the file, I am not aware of the syntax on how to manually edit the file, though I am sure it is possible.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02:52 pm