This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite + Cinnamon DE

JeffK969

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42:32 pm

I've been intrigued since I read Aravisians comments in another post on here about how he installed the Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin Lite. Which I may like to try. And be able to use some different themes I assume.
I found this link: https://www.everything-linux-101.com/ho ... n-desktop/ -- On how to do it. But then I wondered, what if I don't like it, or issues arise, how to remove it....?

I also thought prior to trying to install Cinnamon DE, I would ask Aravi how he did it. Because he is part Genius. And ask has he experienced any lag after some time gone by.....

Because if this works with no lags, I'm also going to install Cinnamon on my XFCE Mint pc. This would be great. Like someone getting chocolate in my peanut butter great...

Aravisian

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:20:59 pm

JeffK969 wrote:I've been intrigued since I read Aravisians comments in another post on here about how he installed the Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin Lite. Which I may like to try. And be able to use some different themes I assume.
I found this link: https://www.everything-linux-101.com/ho ... n-desktop/ -- On how to do it. But then I wondered, what if I don't like it, or issues arise, how to remove it....?

I also thought prior to trying to install Cinnamon DE, I would ask Aravi how he did it. Because he is part Genius. And ask has he experienced any lag after some time gone by.....

Because if this works with no lags, I'm also going to install Cinnamon on my XFCE Mint pc. This would be great. Like someone getting chocolate in my peanut butter great...

Part genius, eh?

I typed in terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

Removal is both easy and impossible at the same time, which is true whenever you install another D.E. on a system. It always leaves little changes and stuff behind.
So, while I could give some pointers on a complete removal, it really is much easier to do a total backup of your Home Folder and such and if you decide you dislike having Cinnamon on Zorin Lite, do a wipe and reload, then restore backup.
That being said...

I have been running this thing into the ground - heavily. With over forty Gimp apps running at once alongside many other graphical apps, twenty or more tabs open on FF and so on- and no bog down, yet. It must be Mint, itself, that bogs, not the D.E.
I have quite literally had zero problems, no errors, no crashes, no freezes... And during that time I have updated and remade many themes and have made two new ones.
Usually after getting very adventurous, I have needed to do a restore by now. So my definite plan is to stick with Cinnamon on Zorin Lite.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05:34 pm

Another solution would be to: run a VM of Lite (in Lite!) ;) :D