This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] How to create non-pae .iso of Zorin 6

madvinegar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50:44 pm

The following post is courtesy of our member Spavila explaining how to create a non-pae iso of Zorin 6, so that it could be installed in PCs/laptops not supporting pae kernel.

The Zorin 6 32-bit ISO that I downloaded from the Zorin-OS website will not boot because my computer's CPU does not have PAE. After searching the Internet and reading about the Ubuntu 12.04 installation process and system requirements, non-PAE processors, and Remastersys; I was able to make a bootable live DVD of Zorin OS 6 32-bit.

These are the steps I took:

1. I installed Zorin OS 6 32-bit on one of my computers that has a CPU that can handle PAE.
2. Need to replace the current kernel with a generic (non-pae).
a) Open terminal and type: apt-get-install linux-image-generic. Did a reboot and booted with the generic kernel to make sure everything was working properly.
b) Delete pae kernel. Open terminal and type: apt-get remove linux-image-generic-pae
3. At this point, I ran Remastersys. I searched for it in the GUI menu but could not find it. Opened Software Center and it said Remastersys was installed but for terminal use only. While researching, I read that Remastersys must have ubiquity and ubiquity-frontend-gtk; therefore, I used software center and installed it. Open a terminal: sudo remastersys dist. Let Remastersys do its thing. It will create an ISO file and MD5sum file in the /home/remastersys/remastersys folder. Doubled checked the MD5sum of the iso and it was a match. Burned the ISO.
4. See if this newly created live DVD will work on my computer that does not have pae capabilities. The live DVD took several minutes to boot; but the desktop finally showed up!!!

At this time, I have not selected the install option. I'll report back and let you know what happens.

The links below were helpful:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/151322/h ... pae-kernel
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=955622

cobbinaloic

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:45:37 am

Thanks for this post. I also have a PC that doesn't support PAE but i am not technically inclined to produced the Zorin Non-Pae CD on my own. In case yours is working, can you please upload it on a sharing site so that we can download it.