This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] Conky-lua modified by madvinegar for Zorin OS

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39:00 pm

I have prepared the following very easy guide in case someone would like to add to his desktop the conky-lua.
I have modified the conky so as to suit Zorin OS. More specifically I have done the following:

1) I have attached the zorin logo.
2) I have used blue colour (which is the color of Zorin).
3) I have modified the code so as to show the temp of your pc/laptop (which imo is very very useful).
4) I have modified the code to show the wireless upload/download values (not the ethernet ones) but it can easily be set to show the ethernet ones.
5) I have prepared a script that delays conky to load for 30seconds so as to be safe that it will not conflict with the compiz 3d effects. No worries, it loads very fast.

So, lets start with the guide:
Firstly, ofcourse, download and extract the compressed file that I am attaching in the end of this post. Right-click on it and sellect "extract here".

Step1 - Install sensors
Code:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
sudo sensors-detect

You answer yes (y) to all questions.

Step2 - Install conky
Code:
sudo apt-get install conky-all

Step3 - Install neurpolitical font
Copy the neurpoli.ttf. file to /usr/share/fonts/truetype
This can be done through
Code:
gksudo nautilus
in terminal.
Once the file has been copied to the "truetype" file, open it with font viewer and click on the button that says "install font" at bottom-right.

Step4 - Copy files to home folder
Copy the files ".conkyrc", ".lua", ".conky", ".concky_script_startup.sh" to your home folder (the same folder where your Downloads, Documents, Music etc. folders are).
Note that these files have a dot (.) in front of them. This means that they are hidden. You will have to press ctrl+H to be able to view them.

Step5 - Make conky_script_startup.sh executable.
Right-click the file, go to permissions tab and tick the box that says "allow executing as a program".

Step6 - Add conky_script_startup.sh to startup applications
Open startup applications and click on "new". As name use "conky" and as command browse to your home folder and add conky_script_startup.sh. Again, you will have to press ctrl+H to be able to view it as it is a hidden file.

That's it!
Reboot and some seconds after your desktop loads you will get this fantastic conky.
It works just great and I have tested it in Zorin 5 and Zorin 6.
Swarf, can I get extra jewels for that? :lol:

efwis

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:14:25 pm

well i downloaded your attached file, however its kind of hard to install everything and run the conky_script_startup.sh when the files aren't in it. the only files you included in the download are the instructions and the font, nothing else was included. I already have a modified version of LUA running on my system, however I would really like a copy of the startup script so I can have it start automatically when i reboot the system.

madvinegar

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:19:47 am

It's also kind of hard to follow the guide when you do not read it carefully :mrgreen: . Maybe you have missed reading the sentence in red color:

Note that these files have a dot (.) in front of them. This means that they are hidden. You will have to press ctrl+H to be able to view them.

When you extract the downloaded file press ctrl+H to view the hidden files. ;)

Just for your ease of reference the script is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 30 && conky ;

I am giving a 30second delay just to be sure that conky will not conflict with the loading of the desktop and the compiz effects.

Gonz

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55:43 pm

Great guide ! ....Thanks much madvinegar

Gonz

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25:38 pm

anyway to change the clock from 24 hour to 12 ?

madvinegar

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:27:22 pm

I think that it shows exactly what your panel bar shows. So change your panel bar clock to 12 hour mode and I think that it will change automatically on the conky.

Gonz

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:37:30 pm

hmmmm ... my panel clock shows 1:36 pm ... conky panel shows 13:36
I checked the files and don't see any adjustment entries either.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28:24 pm

Hi Gonz,

regardless whether you set your clock to 24 hour or AM/PM, it will only show AM/PM, this seems to be another bug in Gnome 3!!!???.

Regards Wolfman :D

Gonz

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05:19 pm

Hi Wolfman,
the panel clock in awn shows in both 24 hours and in AM/PM also. No issue there. It's the one that comes with the Conky script that seems to only show in 24 hr mode ... been trying to get it to AM/PM like the one in the awn panel and how it's set up in preferences.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:56:37 am

Maybe it's done by amending the code on the ~/.conkyrc file. But sorry, I am not a programmer so I wouldn't know how to do that.

On the other hand I am very glad that you got it working! It means that my guide works... :D

Gonz

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:03:17 pm

also, i think it might not be an issue with conky - i'll keep on tinkering and see - if i don't break it, i will let u know if it works :lol:
Thanks again !

Gonz

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:45:18 pm

OK - Got it ! :mrgreen:

%H=24 Hours
%I=12 Hours

madvinegar

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47:49 pm

"S" must stand for seconds
"M" must stand for minutes
"H" must stand for hour
"I" stands for what...? :)

In any case, nice call Gonz! The guide is complete now! :)

Gonz

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:16:48 pm

"I" stands for what...?

I = 12 Hour format - but i don't know why they chose that letter for it.

"H" must stand for hour

H = 24 Hour format

kengator

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17:46 pm

Hey madvinegar,

I installed the conky per your tutorial. Many thanks by the way...tres cool!

One minor hiccup: temp continues to show 40 C always. It never changes. Highly unlikely that it's real. I believe that it might be one of two things:
1. No cpu temp sensor: possible
2. At the end of the sensor start script in your instructions, it started mentioning being risky and the very last thing to type "yes" I chickened out and typed "no".

Again, minor but it would be nice to make it work right. Question to you: do you know if there's any way to re-run sensor start-up or check if it detected any cpu temp hardware?

Thanks.

kengator

madvinegar

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06:59 pm

You should answer yes to all questions. there is no risk at all.
Open terminal and write

Code:
sudo sensors-detect

Answer yes to all questions.
You can then type in terminal

Code:
sensors

and see the results.

kengator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12:48 am

Thank you sir. That did it.

b4d93r

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37:55 pm

I do have one question regarding editing the config files. I've played with Zorin previously before moving to it full time but I was never able to edit the Conky files as they were always locked. In Mint, I could right click on them and open as administrator but that option is not available in Zorin. How can I open those files to edit them? I also tried using the sudo command with gedit and it couldn't open them either.

I was able to edit them easily in Mint but not so easily in Zorin. Any thoughts?

madvinegar

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:57:24 pm

Open terminal and write
Code:
gksudo nautilus

Nautilus will open and you will have full admin rights to open and modify everything.

MarkAlan

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:44:45 pm

I have followed the instructions with this and the font install fails. Does anyone have an idea of what to do in this case? Conky looks pretty ugly without the proper font. :?

madvinegar

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:42:40 pm

I suppose that you followed the below instuctions:
This can be done through
Code:
gksudo nautilus

in terminal.
Once the file has been copied to the "truetype" file, open it with font viewer and click on the button that says "install font" at bottom-right.

Do also this.
Where have you downloaded the conky files? Is it inside your Downloads folder?
If yes, double click again the neuropoli.ttf file (the one that is still in your downloads folder), open it and click install font.
Then logout/login or reboot.
Sometimes you need to install it twice...

MarkAlan

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:42:31 pm

madvinegar wrote:I suppose that you followed the below instuctions:
This can be done through
Code:
gksudo nautilus

in terminal.

Do also this.
If yes, double click again the neuropoli.ttf file (the one that is still in your downloads folder), open it and click install font.

Yes, the Conky files were saved to my Downloads folder. Through Nautilus, I have tried installing the font from both the Truetype folder in the filepath above, as well as directly from my Downloads folder. No matter where I try to install it from, the "Install Font" button turns into "Install Failed" after I click it.

At this point, I'm not so sure that the problem is with Conky, rather, it's looking more like my system won't install the font. :?

MarkAlan

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:53:37 pm

MarkAlan wrote:
madvinegar wrote:I suppose that you followed the below instuctions:
This can be done through
Code:
gksudo nautilus

in terminal.

Do also this.

Interestingly enough, even though I the "Install Font" button turned to "Install Failed" no matter where I tried to install it from, the font showed up after I restarted the computer. Interesting, since I had previously restarted it twice.

Thanks for the help!

MarkAlan

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25:15 am

madvinegar wrote:You should answer yes to all questions. there is no risk at all.
Open terminal and write

Code:
sudo sensors-detect

Answer yes to all questions.
You can then type in terminal

Code:
sensors

and see the results.

Regarding the temperature sensor, I have followed these steps, however, my CPU temperature reads 0 degrees Celsius with Conky.

I believe that I have a sensor because my terminal shows this:

AMD K8 thermal sensors... Success!
(driver `k8temp')

Any ideas why I am not getting a temperature reading?

madvinegar

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:54:20 am

Have you installed lm-sensors and then detected the sensors of your pc (as per my guide)?
Code:
sudo sensors-detect

and you answer "yes" to all questions.

If yes, post here the result of
Code:
sensors

MarkAlan

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43:30 pm

madvinegar wrote:Have you installed lm-sensors and then detected the sensors of your pc (as per my guide)?
Code:
sudo sensors-detect

and you answer "yes" to all questions.

If yes, post here the result of
Code:
sensors

Yes, I did that, probably about three times. I just did it again for the heck of it.

After I do the last part (sensors), I get this:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device

temp1: +0.0°C (crit = +94.0°C)

k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp: +45.0°C

Does this mean I have no sensor for the first one?

madvinegar

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:24:22 am

Probably yes. But don't worry. I will tell you exactly what to change in the conky script so as to show your Core0 temp.

Go to your home folder and open the ".conkyrc" script file.
Code:
sudo gedit /home/yourusername/.conkyrc

(replace with your username)

Find the line that says:
${font Neuropolitical:size=13}${color FFFFFF}${alignr}temp: ${hwmon temp 1} °C${font}

Change the {hwmon temp 1} to {platform coretemp.0 temp 2}

Save, exit, run conky again (logout-login) and see if your temp reading works.
If still not, try also {platform coretemp.0 temp 1}

MarkAlan

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:19:14 pm

madvinegar wrote:Probably yes. But don't worry. I will tell you exactly what to change in the conky script so as to show your Core0 temp.

Go to your home folder and open the ".conkyrc" script file.
Code:

Find the line that says:
${font Neuropolitical:size=13}${color FFFFFF}${alignr}temp: ${hwmon temp 1} °C${font}

Change the {hwmon temp 1} to {platform coretemp.0 temp 2}

Save, exit, run conky again (logout-login) and see if your temp reading works.
If still not, try also {platform coretemp.0 temp 1}

I tried both of those substitutions, but Conky did not appear on my screen, so I had to revert back to the original conky script. Any other ideas?

madvinegar

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:27:45 pm

I will get back to you later this afternoon, if that's ok. I have some notes back home that might help. Stay tuned!

madvinegar

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:33:53 pm

Ok I think I got it.

Replace {hwmon temp1} with {execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core 0" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3}

or
{execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core0 Temp" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3}

Let me know if it worked.

MarkAlan

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59:25 am

madvinegar wrote:Ok I think I got it.

Replace {hwmon temp1} with {execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core 0" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3}

or
{execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core0 Temp" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3}

Let me know if it worked.

The second one worked. Thank you! :D

Question: What am I measuring the temperature of? This isn't the CPU, is it? Isn't it the temperature of the PCI Adapter? I saw where to change the words in the script, and I want to change it from to CPU to whatever temperature I am actually measuring.

On another note, I'm using the 12 hour clock. Is there a way to eliminate the zero before the first digit? I know this sounds kind of petty, but when I look at a clock and it's 8:00 AM, I'd rather see 8:00 instead of 08:00, if you know what I mean. Can you also help with that?

madvinegar

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:23:58 am

We managed to get the temp working and that's great! :D
If you need me to explain what the code I gave you means, let me know.

The Core 0 temp is usually the temp of your GPU.
The temp1 is a virtual temp which sometimes may be wrong. So, to be honest, you are better off with the Core0.
For sure it is not your hdd temp. To view your hdd temp you must install either "hddtemp" or better "psensor".
So in case you want to re-name the "CPU" you can write, i.e. "GPU" or "System Temp" etc.

As regards the clock, the only tip I can give you is how to change it from 24hour to 12hour.
See the post of our member "Gonz" in the second page of this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2316&start=10
You need to edit the file "conky_rings.lua".

MarkAlan

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21:43 pm

madvinegar wrote:We managed to get the temp working and that's great! :D
If you need me to explain what the code I gave you means, let me know.

The Core 0 temp is usually the temp of your GPU.
The temp1 is a virtual temp which sometimes may be wrong. So, to be honest, you are better off with the Core0.
For sure it is not your hdd temp. To view your hdd temp you must install either "hddtemp" or better "psensor".
So in case you want to re-name the "CPU" you can write, i.e. "GPU" or "System Temp" etc.

As regards the clock, the only tip I can give you is how to change it from 24hour to 12hour.
See the post of our member "Gonz" in the second page of this topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2316&start=10
You need to edit the file "conky_rings.lua".

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to rename it System Temp. What does GPU stand for?

Regarding the clock, I already modified it from 24 hours to 12 hours. I just don't like that annoying zero as the first digit when it's before 10:00! :shock:

madvinegar

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:52:07 pm

GPU is Graphics Processing Unit. In other words, your graphics card.
Glad I helped!

kengator

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:06:19 am

{execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core 0" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3}

Madvinegar,

Very cool. I tried it myself. The script itself is a simple unix (or Linux) command but I've not seen the "execpi 1" before. It obviously launches the sensors executable but what is it and how do you use it? It's not in the online unix manual.

kengator

madvinegar

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19:34 am

"execpi" is an interval command used for conkies (probably this is why it is not included in the unix manual). The number "1" next to it is the seconds that you wish from it to update. So I have set it to update (the temp readings) every 1 second.

You can set it to any number you like, i.e. every 5 seconds, or 10 etc.

More info can be found here: http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

jcarmona

Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26:01 am

i cant get the font thing to work. i cant get conky to start on bootup.

I followed the instructions carefully 3 times.

The script works if i manually start it, but it starts conky with the ugly black look.

Like i said, i did all the instructions specified on my ultimate 64 bit Zorin 6 parallels vm.

madvinegar

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07:32 pm

In startup applications > add new app, in the "command" space write
/home/yourusername/conky_script_startup.sh

Replace with your username.

Also, in VM you cannot get the temperatures working.

Finally in VM, make sure that your GPU is fully enabled and operational otherwise you may experience glitches etc.

jcarmona

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:12:43 am

Thank you. I did notice i had a period before or in front of the name of the script. I will try again.

madvinegar

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36:24 am

It depends. If you put a period in front of the name of the script, you make it a hidden file.
But if there is a period in front of the name of the script, you must also write it like this in the startup command.
i.e
/home/yourusername/.conky_script_startup.sh

Check how your file is written.

dwaldo

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:20:19 am

Hey it worked! Looked complicated but wasn't to bad. Thank you

wiscylinux

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:45:13 pm

I followed your instructions to the tee, I believe and checked and rechecked my work and understaning of your instructions. Everything seemed to go as you describe but when i reboot conky does not startup at all. If i start conky from terminal i get the lousy black default. Any idea what could be wrong??
Toshiba Satellity A135
dual core cpu
2gb ram
Zorin OS 6

wiscylinux

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47:50 pm

Followed the instruction everything seemed to go well but conky will not start on boot.
checked script in startup apps and everything is good it just wont start any ideas????

madvinegar

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06:47 am

Have you made the starting file (conky_script_startup.sh) executable?

wiscylinux

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02:07 pm

Yea made the file executable put all files in home folder did and checked everything in your instructions now several times and still nothing. Im sure I must be doing something wrong. Just cant figure out what it is. Now if i move the files into my home folder with nautilus is it in the home folder or in my username folder. I have them in home folder.

madvinegar

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:48:15 pm

If you write
conky
in terminal, does the conky start? Do you get any error messages in terminal?

wiscylinux

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14:36 pm

It was opening in terminal before with the ugly default black scheme but now after several more attempts I get this error in terminal:

Conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input': No such file or directory
please check your device or remove this var from Conky
***** Imlib2 Developer Warning ***** :
This program is calling the Imlib call:

imlib_context_free();

With the parameter:

context

being NULL. Please fix your program.

madvinegar

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:25:45 pm

Ok, now I see what your problem is. It does not read correctly your temperature.
Can you please post here the result of
Code:
sensors
?

wiscylinux

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16:45 pm

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +58.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +56.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

wiscylinux

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24:33 pm

I just did a complete reinstall of the zorin os6 os, completed 143mb of updates and tried again, and still got that same error message when i try to start conky from terminal

wiscylinux

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43:29 am

I removed the folder .conky and .lua as well as the files .conkyrc and the startup script from my home folder and now conky works when I run from terminal. Whatever the problem is it was being caused by lua files. Any Ideas?????

madvinegar

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:44:51 am

As you see from your sensors result, the problem is that you don't have a "temp1" reading. You only have a Core 0 and Core 1 reading.
Place everything back as it was, and then we will have to amend slighlty the .conkyrc file.

1) Open the .conkyrc file with gedit
Code:

2) Find the line that says

3) Replace {hwmon temp1} with {execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core0 Temp" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3}

So the line will become:
${font Neuropolitical:size=13}${color FFFFFF}${alignr}temp: ${execpi 1 sensors | grep "Core0 Temp" | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-3} °C${font}

4) Save, exit, reboot, and see if the conky is loading and working ok.

dweeb52

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40:08 pm

hi , have "successfully" got everything to work, looks great, but the panel stays on top when using Firefox so I can't see about 1/3 of the screen so have to un-enable conky , any ideas on why ? thanks in advance
great work

madvinegar

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:32:28 am

Does this happen with firefox or with any window?
In any case, lets first try something simple. Maybe your conky needs to start some seconds later in order to give more time for other graphical dependencies to start first.
I suppose you are using the ".conky_script_startup.sh" file to start conky, correct? (If not, you must start conky in this way. This script allows for a 30 second delay.)

Open it with gedit.
Code:
sudo gedit home/yourusername/.conky_script_startup

(replace with your username).

Then change the script and increase the seconds of delay.
i.e. from 30 seconds change it to 40 seconds or 45 or to 60.
The script will become like this:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 60 && conky ;

Save, exit, reboot and see if you still get this problem.

If you still get the problem, then we can try something else.
Open with gedit .conkyrc
Code:

(replace with your username).
Find the line that says
own_window_type override

and change it to
own_window_type desktop

Save, exit, reboot and see if that fixed it.

dweeb52

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35:40 am

Thank you very much, increasing the delay didn't work but changing the .conkyrc line to own_window_type desktop worked a treat thanks again
Love zorin and I am using it full time (from win7 - and not missing it) a newb but learning quickly thanks to support here
ta again

ps it was covering about 1/3 of the screen on firefox, open office , which I use most often and even SMPlayer but not on Thunderbird for some reason (strange)
anyway thanks again

madvinegar

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16:44 am

Glad I helped my friend.

Zoro1044

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11:07 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Have you tried amsweitzer's tutorial?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3604&hilit=conky

I could only get bog standard conky to work by opening a terminal and typing 'conky' - it then appeared on the left of the screen and I could not 'kill' it or move it!

Hi MV I had this problem when I upgraded from Z5.2 to 6.1. After I tweaked Compliz as your instructions for "white out on doc pages" it came right.

madvinegar

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55:15 am

So all is ok now?

Zoro1044

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16:28 am

Bentley3.png
Bentley3.png (84.81 KiB)

I'm having problems detecting my message count in Gmail. It worked fine in Z 5.1 but since I upgraded to Z 6.1 it doesn't show. I think it could be a Template problem could you advise how to create it since 6.1 is diff. Also how to post a file this size using a window with scroll bars.

Thanks

CODE: SELECT ALL

# Use Xft?
use_xft yes
xftfont font ZapfHumnst BT:size=9
xftalpha 0.8
text_buffer_size 1024

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
#own_window_type dock
own_window_class conky
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
background no

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
double_buffer yes

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
no_buffers no

# fiddle with window
use_spacer right

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 1.5

# Minimum size of text area
minimum_size 260 70
maximum_width 300
# Draw shades?
draw_shades no

# Text stuff
draw_outline no # amplifies text if yes
draw_borders no
uppercase no # set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase

# Stippled borders?
#stippled_borders 3

# Interval (in seconds) to flush Imlib2 cache
#imlib_cache_flush_interval 600

# border margins
border_margin 2

# border width
border_width 12

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
#alignment tl # top_left
alignment tr # top_right
#alignment tm # top middle
#alignment bl # bottom_left
#alignment br # bottom_right
#alignment bm # bottom middle
# Gap between borders of screen and text
gap_x 15
gap_y 10

# Set the width of Top Process Names
top_name_width 7

# Decimal spacing
short_units yes
pad_percents 2

# Default colors and border colors
default_color Azure
color0 White
color1 Ivory
color2 yellow
color3 OrangeRed
color4 Tan1
color5 SpringGreen3
color6 Gray
color7 Orange
color8 lightSlateGray
color9 Black

# stuff after ‘TEXT’ will be formatted on screen

TEXT
##################
## LOGO ##
##################
${voffset -10}${font OpenLogos:size=103}${color4}${font}${voffset -76}${goto 18}${font UbuntuTitleBold:size=18}${color white}Bentley Continental${font}
##################
## TIME ##
##################
${voffset 10}${font DroidSans:size=9}${color2}TIME ${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 2}${font}
${voffset 0}${if_match ${time %l}<=9}${voffset -4}${font RadioSpace:size=22}${color2}${alignc 7}${time %l:%M%p}${font}${else}${if_match ${time %l}>=10}${voffset -4}${font RadioSpace:size=22} ${color2}${alignc -1}${time %l:%M%p}${font}${endif}${endif}
#${voffset 10 }${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=4.2}${color4}${alignc 2}
#Sunrise${offset 1}${texeci 1800 conkyForecast --location=NZ --datatype=SR --startday=1}${color3}${offset 2}|${offset 2}${color4}Sunset#${offset 1}${texeci 1800 conkyForecast --location=USAZ0082 --datatype=SS --startday=1}${font}
${voffset 5}${font ZapfHumnst BT:size=12}${color2}${alignc}${time %A %e %B %G}
###########
## EMAIL ##
###########
${voffset 5}${color red}${font :size=12}GMAIL Messages${font}${color8}${hr 2}
#${voffset 2}${execpi 600 conkyEmail --template=/allan/Templates/conkyEmail.template}
${voffset 10}${color5}${font Terminus:style=normal:size=10}Google Mail Unread Messages: ${color2}${font}${execi 600 conkyEmail --servertype=IMAP --servername=imap.gmail.com --username="me@gmail.com" --password="??????" --ssl}
#############
## Dropbox ##
#############
${voffset 16}${color pink}${font :size=10}Dropbox Status:
${color yellow}${execi 6 dropbox status}
#adjust the offset and color to your tastes (and maybe add a ${font ...} setting to change the font size/style), and place that line in the "TEXT" section of your .conkyrc file
############
## System ##
############
${voffset 20}${font}${color orange}SYSTEM ${color8}${hr 2}
${voffset 2}${color}${sysname} ${kernel}${alignr}${machine}
${voffset 2}${color}Uptime: ${alignr}${uptime}
${voffset 2}System Updates: ${color9}${alignr}${execi 3600 aptitude search "~U" | wc -l | tail} ${color7}Packages
#######################
## INTEL Temperature ##
#######################
${voffset 3}${font}${color orange}INTEL${goto 55}(Temp) ${color8}${hr 2}
${voffset 2}${color}${font}${color}CPU1 ${cpu cpu1}%${color5}${goto 80}${execi 8 sensors | grep -A 1 'Core 0' | cut -c15-16 | sed '/^$/d'} ${color red}${cpubar cpu1}
${color Green}Temperature:${color2}${hwmon temp 1}${color red}${execi 2 cat /sys/bus/pci/drivers/k8temp/000*/temp1_input | cut -c1,2}${color2}*C
############
## Memory ##
############
${voffset 3}${color orange}MEMORY ${color8}${hr 2}${color}
${voffset 2}RAM: ${goto 90}${memperc}%${alignr}${mem} of ${memmax}
${voffset 1}${color2}${membar 6}${color}
####################
## Top Proccesses ##
####################
${voffset 3}${color orange}TOP PROCCESSES ${color8}${hr 2}
${voffset 2}${color }NAME${goto 100}PID${goto 165}CPU%${alignr 5}MEM${color}
${voffset 2}${color}${top name 1}${goto 92}${top pid 1}${goto 160}${top cpu 1}${alignr 5}${top mem 1}
${voffset 2}${color}${top name 2}${goto 92}${top pid 2}${goto 160}${top cpu 2}${alignr 5}${top mem 2}
${voffset 2}${color}${top name 3}${goto 92}${top pid 3}${goto 160}${top cpu 3}${alignr 5}${top mem 3}
${voffset 2}${color}${top name 4}${goto 92}${top pid 4}${goto 160}${top cpu 4}${alignr 5}${top mem 4}
${voffset 2}Total:${goto 100}${processes}${goto 165}Running:${alignr}${running_processes}
#########
## HDD ##
#########
#${voffset 3}${color orange}HDD (Temp) ${font :size=9}${color SpringGreen3}${execi 300 /usr/sbin/hddtemp /dev/sda |cut -c27-55} ${color8}${hr 2}${color}${font}
#${color #9cc4ff}Temperature:${color2}${hddtemp /dev/sda}*C
#${voffset 2}/: ${goto 90}${fs_used_perc /}%${alignr}${fs_used /} 0f ${fs_size /}
#${voffset 2}${color8}${fs_bar 6 /}${color}
${voffset 2}${color8}/home: ${goto 90}${color6}${fs_used_perc /home}%${alignr}${fs_used /home} 0f ${fs_size /home}
${voffset 2}${color8}${fs_bar 6 /home}${color}
${voffset 2}Swap: ${goto 90}${swapperc}%${alignr}${swap} of ${swapmax}
${voffset 1}${color5}${swapbar 6}${color}
#############
## Network ##
#############
${voffset 3}${color orange}NETWORK ${color8}${hr 2}${color}
${voffset 2}${font}${color}IP Addr:${alignr}${addr eth0} / ${execi 3600 wget -q -O - checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/[^[:digit:]\|.]//g'}
${voffset 2}Down: ${color Red}${downspeed eth0}${color} k/s ${goto 152}Up: ${color SpringGreen3}${upspeed eth0}${color} k/s
${voffset 2}${downspeedgraph eth0 25,130 000000 ff0000} ${alignr}${upspeedgraph eth0
25,130 000000 00ff00}${color}
${voffset 2}TotalDown: ${totaldown eth0} ${alignr}TotalUp: ${totalup eth0}
#${voffset 2}${color8}${font}${hr 2}
##########
## WiFi ##
##########
#${color orange}WIFI Network (${addr wlan0}) $color
#${wireless_essid wlan0} ${wireless_link_bar 6 wlan0}
#Down: $color${downspeed wlan0} k/s ${alignr}Up: ${upspeed wlan0} k/s
#${downspeedgraph wlan0 20,120 e5e5e5 F1AA0E} ${alignr}${upspeedgraph wlan020,120 e5e5e5 F1AA0E}$color
#Total: ${totaldown wlan0} ${alignr}Total: ${totalup wlan0}
#Inbound: ${tcp_portmon 1 32767 count} Outbound: ${tcp_portmon 32768
#61000 count}${alignr}Total: ${tcp_portmon 1 65535 count}
##################
## CALENDER ##
##################
${voffset 8}${font DroidSans:size=12}${color5}DATE${offset 6}${color blue}${voffset -2}${hr 2}${font}
${voffset 12}${font LiberationMono:size=9}${color6}${alignc 120}${time %A}${font}
${voffset -5}${if_match ${time %e}<=10}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=20}${color5}${alignc 980}${time %e}${font}${else}${if_match ${time %e}>=10}${font DroidSansFallback:size=20}${color4}${alignc 115}${time %e}${font}${endif}${endif}
${voffset 5}${font LiberationMono:size=10}${color6}${alignc 115}${time %B}${font}
${voffset 3}${font LiberationMono:size=10}${color6}${alignc 115}${time %Y}${font}
${voffset -85}${font LiberationMono:size=12}${color2}${execpi 59 VinDSL_Cal_6=`date +%-d`; cal -h| sed '1d' | sed s/^/"\$\{offset 80"\}/ | sed '/^ *$/d' |
sed 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_5"'\>/${color4}&${color4}/'}${font}
${voffset 60}${font CutOutsFor3DFX:size=64}${color5}${alignc 110}${font}

kengator

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:34:43 am

Hey guys!

I've been away for a while trying out other distros but I'm back to Zorin. I installed version 8 (I'm unable to wait for the LTS version but will install that when it comes out).

I ran into a problem: I had Madvinegar's conky running fine on Zorin 6 but in 8 it has a black background. When I open a wiindow while I'm in the light Zorin theme, the conky background goes white and I can't make anything out. If I switch to the dark theme, conky background goes to black again. This is repeatable.

Any thoughts on what changed between Zorin 6 and 8 and how to make the conky background transparent again?

Thanks

kengator

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:21:58 am

kengator wrote:Hey guys!

I've been away for a while trying out other distros but I'm back to Zorin. I installed version 8 (I'm unable to wait for the LTS version but will install that when it comes out).

I ran into a problem: I had Madvinegar's conky running fine on Zorin 6 but in 8 it has a black background. When I open a wiindow while I'm in the light Zorin theme, the conky background goes white and I can't make anything out. If I switch to the dark theme, conky background goes to black again. This is repeatable.

Any thoughts on what changed between Zorin 6 and 8 and how to make the conky background transparent again?

Thanks

kengator

Do you have an nvidia card per chance? ;)

kengator

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:24:33 pm

Hi Swarfendor,

Sorry, I should have stated my hardware on the original post.

No, I don't have a graphics card on my PC; it uses Intel graphics.

Again, all hardware is exactly the same as what I had with Zorin 6 when the conky ran fine. Also, I only used drivers that came with zorin 6.

To be clear, in zorin 8 the conky background is not transparent and the background color seems to be tied to the current desktop theme: black with dark zorin theme and white with light zorin theme.

Should I attach screenshots of my desktop?

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45:30 pm

HI, I would see what happens by installing additional themes - open synaptic and search for Gtk themes changer and also gnome-color-chooser - with this you can make the scroll bars wider:

http://vimeo.com/89352123

decalman

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:20:08 pm

I'm using conky manager

The clock is also a conky and everything moves.

got the clock from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/ibvla ... +Pack_3.7z

and the other one from here http://www.teejeetech.in/2013/07/super- ... ckage.html

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:10:28 am

Cool decalman - thanks for the links - 120 blue jewels to you sir! :D

MarkAlan

Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:36:40 pm

Hello again!

I recently upgraded my Compaq Presario V5000 from Zorin 6 to Zorin 9.

I reinstalled Conky-Lua, however; I noticed that any time I right click on the desktop and then make a left click on the desktop, another conky appears on top of the first one. I get double and triple images (sometimes more), and it creates a real mess.

Has anyone had this happen and/or know how to correct this issue?

Update:

I solved this by deleting this line from .conkyrc

own_window_type override

7vincent7black7

Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:36:57 pm

Is there any chance to configuring the looks of this conky like how one can drastically change their conky in crunchbang? That was a feature I thorougly enjoyed on that OS, but its been a few years since I ran that distro on my old laptop, so I can't exactly remember the how's and do's of that. :)

Wolfman

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:52:38 pm

7vincent7black7 wrote:Is there any chance to configuring the looks of this conky like how one can drastically change their conky in crunchbang? That was a feature I thorougly enjoyed on that OS, but its been a few years since I ran that distro on my old laptop, so I can't exactly remember the how's and do's of that. :)

Hi,

try "Conky Manager", see the post install guide for details in the section: Silverlight Clone (Pipelight) & Conky Manager:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Hope it helps. :D

kengator

Wed May 09, 2018 5:10:59 am

Hi guys,

It's been quite a while since my last post. I was hoping to get hold of someone who was a lot smarter than me and could help me figure out how to modify this conky.

In a nutshell I wanted to replace the swap memory ring with two thin rings to show disk reads and writes (similar to the network rings). I got the rings set up and it displays the values of the disk reads and writes properly but I can't get the darn rings to work. I've screwed around with this on and off for the past couple of years and have finally thrown up my hands.

Here are the changes to the clock_rings.lua file:
{
name='diskio_read',
arg='/dev/sda',
max=100,
bg_colour=0xffffff,
bg_alpha=0.2,
fg_colour=0x4126e5,
fg_alpha=0.8,
x=163, y=440,
radius=16,
thickness=12,
start_angle=-90,
end_angle=180
},
{
name='diskio_write',
arg='/dev/sda',
max=100,
bg_colour=0xffffff,
bg_alpha=0.2,
fg_colour=0x4126e5,
fg_alpha=0.8,
x=163, y=440,
radius=30,
thickness=12,
start_angle=-90,
end_angle=180
},

And the .conkyrc file:
# ${color 00CBFF}${goto 125}${voffset 56}Swap #
# ${color FFFFFF}${goto 125}${swapperc}% #
${color 00CBFF}${goto 125}${voffset 56}HDrw
${color FFFFFF}${goto 125}${diskio_read}
${color FFFFFF}${goto 125}${diskio_write}

Any help scratching this itch would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

kengator

Swarfendor437

Wed May 09, 2018 12:04:36 pm

Hi kengator,

As you are probably aware I am no conky-lua expert and I am now on the fence as I prefer a desktop with useful icons on. In the meantime:

https://www.noobslab.com/2012/06/instal ... linux.html