This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] Automatically remove goutputstream files from $home

madvinegar

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09:50 am

In ubuntu 12.04 there is a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/984785), in which some temporary files are created in your home folder with the name "goutputstream", and they are not automatically removed from the system. This has as a result, your home folder to be "polluted" with these kinds of empty files, that are of no use. It has not been determined clearly yet which program creates these files.

I have been deleting them for a long time now, and there was no problem at all with my system. In case you want to delete them and feel safe in doing it, you can follow my below guide.

In order to delete them automatically, I have created a small and easy script as follows:

Open terminal an write:
Code:
sudo gedit /home/yourusername/goutput.sh

(replace with your username as necessary)

In the blank file that will open copy and paste the following code:
#!/bin/bash
rm .goutputstream-*
exit 0

Save, exit and then give to the file executable permissions as follows. Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo chmod a+x /home/yourusername/goutput.sh

Then, go to system settings>startup applications, click on "add" and complete the blanks as follows:

Name: Remove goutpustream files
Command: /home/yourusername/goutput.sh

That's it. Now every time you start your PC/Laptop or log out/Login to it, these files will be automatically deleted.

P.S.: In case you want to make the file "goutput.sh" a hidden file, you can rename it to ".goutput.sh" (i.e. put a dot in front of the name). If you do so, do not forget to make the necessary change in the command path of the startup application we created (i.e. change the command to "/home/yourusername/.goutput.sh").
Hope this helps.

madvinegar

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48:34 am

To change permissions you either do it manually through gksudo nautilus>properties>permissions>allow executing as a program (as you have correctly stated)
or
via terminal using the "chmod" command (which is easier and quicker). It worked perfectly for me... Anyway, members can try both options.

Going to startup applications is much easier when you click on the "gear"(right side of the panel) and then select "startup applications". How is the "gear" called...? :mrgreen:

I would love to have you and WM drinking Ouzo and discussing about the potentials of Linux distros... :lol: :lol: