This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] All Canon printer drivers

Wolfman

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09:20 pm

Go here:

http://ubuntuportal.com/2011/12/how-to- ... buntu.html

Install the PPA using the terminal commands provided then update and choose your drivers from the list.

Regards Wolfman :D

steeev

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:34:16 am

Hi,

this doesn't seem to be working - is it because i'm booting into zorin (6.3 core ) from a memory stick ?

here's what i get -

live@live:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:

More info: https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+archive/canon
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpqSmZIe/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpqSmZIe/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 3F7B4A1D from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpqSmZIe/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 3F7B4A1D: public key "Launchpad Misakovi" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
OK
live@live:~$ sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-ip1900series
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package cnijfilter-ip1900series

any ideas on what i can do about this please ?
steve.

Wireaddict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:27:30 am

I have a Canon D420 printer; where can I find a driver for it? Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56:29 am

@Steve,

yes!; it is most likely because you are using a Live CD!. (Sorry about the late answer but I have only just seen this post from you!)

@Wireaddict,

you need to advise us as to what version of Zorin you are using and whether you have a 32 or 64 Bit system first!.

Your printer is not listed here:

http://ubuntuportal.com/2011/12/how-to- ... buntu.html

Is this the correct name of your printer?: Canon D420 or is it Canon MX420?. (Not saying you cannot read and write; just confirming model name!)

You can go here and download the .tar file and convert it with "Alien":

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/c ... ndSoftware

Download the file and make sure you have "alien" installed:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

See 2nd post here for info about how to use Alien, it is for Epson but the same applies:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4815&hilit=install+using+alien

Hope it helps.

Wireaddict

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:22:13 am

Being a noob, I can't seem to get the Terminal to accept my instructions such as this one:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install alien
I enter these instructions & this is what I get:
dave@dave-N68SA-M2S:~$ Code: Select all
Code:: command not found
dave@dave-N68SA-M2S:~$ sudo apt-get install alien
sudo: must be setuid root
dave@dave-N68SA-M2S:~$
Please tell me how to access the terminal &/or input instructions. I like Zorin OS much better than Windows except for no printer/scanner & a minor issue with the monitor mentioned elsewhere. Regards.
Dave

Wolfman

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:30:29 am

Hi WA,

when you click on "Select all". you must right click the command under where it states that and it is the command you should be pasting in the terminal, not the bit "Select all".

See the 2nd post again here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4815&p=22778#p22778

as I have cleaned it up a bit.

This is how you should be starting off in the terminal using my name as an example:

wolfman@fred5:~$ sudo apt-get install alien

Let us know if this helps.

Wireaddict

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:02:44 am

Hi again, every time I enter "sudo apt-get install alien" [without "SELECT ALL"] I still get "sudo: must be setuid root". Do I need do do something to access the root?

Wolfman

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:14:31 am

Hi WA,

do you have more than one user account setup on your PC?, are you logged in as "System Administrator" (= root)?, take a look here about adding user privileges for different user accounts:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

Hope it helps.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00:59 pm

Also do you have 'autologin' enabled - not a good idea for when updates/installs required! ;)

Wireaddict

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55:41 am

Hi again, Swarftendor37: I did have Autologin turned on til now but I just turned it off. Wolfman: mine is the only account on this computer & it is an administrator account. As such, I should have root status & be able to run sudo commands with no problem, shouldn't I? Also, shouldn't the terminal ask me for my password when I enter sudo instructions such as the ones you suggested? It doesn't [as you probably guessed]; it probably assumes I don't have root status. I'm still a noob but I finally get the drift of the terminal's response: "sudo: must must be setuid root"; it's saying that I don't have root status in spite of my administrator account status &/or it doesn't recognize that.

It appears that this issue should probably be posted in a new thread til it's resolved then I'll return to the printer [& likely scanner] & flat screen monitor screen resolution issues but that's your call. Regards.
Dave

Wolfman

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34:08 am

Hi Dave,

you need to install the Users & Groups thing (see link above) so you can check out why you aren't getting root privileges!.

Your root password never shows in the terminal when typing it!.

I will look at it more later as I have to go now.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:00:57 pm

Hi Dave,

try adding a guest account and see if that works for you, you would need to log in on that account!, you can use the same password as your normal root password, it won't hurt!.

Regards Wolfman:D

Wireaddict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:23:28 pm

Hi again, in a word: SUCCESS! [putting it mildly]. I created another user account [standard/non-administrator type but I still couldn't use sudo with my original user account [entitled "dave"]. Then I created another account, this time with administrator privileges & the terminal worked as it should but still wouldn't accept any sudo instructions when using my original "dave" account. Next, I deleted my 'dave' account & recreated it as 'dave' again but I wasn't allowed to use my original password which was just a single digit. It wouldn't accept a password that short so I made a longer/better one then tried entering this in the terminal: "sudo apt-get install alien" & it asked me for my password this time which it never would do before. After entering the password it installed 'alien' with no problem. After this I removed the temporary adm. account I mentioned earlier [in the second sentence] & the terminal still asked for & accepted my password so this problem appears solved. [That's why I considered putting this issue in a new thread; that way you could mark it as solved]. Possibly the problem was caused by the original, short single-digit password even though Zorin accepted it at installation. Anyway, thanks so much for your patience & help! Hopefully I'll be able to get the printer/scanner & monitor all working properly without bothering you so much. Regards.

Dave

Wolfman

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05:24 am

Hi Dave,

good to hear, for future reference, the normal minimum password length is 6 characters!.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:10:53 pm

And password security should not contain words but letters and digits - 10 used to be a secure length - currently 13 I believe! ;)