This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] How to carefully replace Zorin ( Start Orb )

Anonymous

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41:32 am

How to replace the (Z) start button.

( In Root )

The whole process will be completed here >>>> /usr/share/icons/zorin os/scalable/places >>>> In here all you have to do is swap out the (Z) distributor-logo.png for the one you want in it's place.

The new .png will say the exact same thing ( distributor-logo.png ) in place of the original.

Before you even attempt this, go to ( Gnomenu Settings ) >>( Preview ) and have ( Use system icons instead of theme icons ) check marked only!!! >>With the foot showing<< (Now you can safely swap the old for the new)

Once you have completed the task above go back to ( Gnomenu Settings) uncheck mark the ( Use system icon's instead of theme icon's ) and check mark ( Use distributor logo instead of button theme ) only !!!

Once your finished, exit out of (Gnomenu Settings) >>> Your All Finished <<<

Note: Gnomenu will crash on you if the .png you use is larger than the original one when swiching out!!! ( The New .PNG CANNOT BE LARGER THAN THE ORIGINAL )

Note: You will have the usual crash after your done. Just do the usual, to bring the new (Start Orb) back online!!!!

I used the script that comes in Ubuntu Tweak>>>( Browse as Root ) ... I just copied the script over to home and made a custom launcher.

If Gnomenu crashes at anytime during??? . All you have to do is log out of Zorin and log back in to Gno-Classic and reverse the process as ( root ) !!!

Note: Save everything you replace just in case!!!

Have fun from Datek1 and Little E

Anonymous

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15:16 pm

Here's a screenshot of my son's desktop with his new Start (Orb) and the Vista Menu he pulled from the actual>>>gnomenu-2.9.1.tar.gz and added to gnomenu as >>(root)
He did this all by himself at 9 years old. This is to say most anyone can do this without any doubt!!!!

amsweitzer

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07:08 pm

nice tut it used to be easier than that theres a tut also that shows if you change from distributor icon you can install themes downloaded from gnome-look.org

Anonymous

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22:55 pm

amsweitzer wrote:nice tut it used to be easier than that theres a tut also that shows if you change from distributor icon you can install themes downloaded from gnome-look.org

As far as I know, ( Just got home from a long rode trip ) my son is telling me this is the only way. And he should know, he's manipulated Zorin Os 6 every which way but loose. And I won't even think of looking into the situation further as to what you said. Because if Little E says to me it can't be done , I'll leave it at that!!! And the reason I have no doubt as to what he's saying, because a while back we looked and looked>>> Googled our tails off and no results!! And to this date we've had no luck searching in relation to the above on these threads. Yes you can install add-ons/themes to the gnomenu, but the only thing that will work is the (menu itself) and not the (start button). If you find a way let us know with a Screenshot !!!

amsweitzer

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48:54 pm

To install, extract archive and copy folder into usr/share/gnomenu/themes/buttons. You should be able to find it in the gnomenu preferences menu after that.

amsweitzer

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59:52 pm

i will

Anonymous

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28:46 pm

amsweitzer wrote:To install, extract archive and copy folder into usr/share/gnomenu/themes/buttons. You should be able to find it in the gnomenu preferences menu after that.

I was reading your post in the other area's on the forum. If your still using Zorin Os 5, that's why Gnomenu works perfect whem changing the start (orb) , and Main Menu ect.. But in this case with Zorin Os 6 the only way at the moment, are the directions I gave to everyone to use in the beginning of this thread. If there was another way AZorin himself or the moderator's would have been here with a solution to the problem long ago. Hopefully an updated version will come out one day. But I don't see that happening, because it's been way over a year since the last release!!!!

amsweitzer

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23:20 pm

Your right about it it your way is the only way now if your son knows how to customize conky to default to right hand of screen and change theme to clear like in UE 3.4 I would love a tut on it Image Here's screen shot as promised with new icon