This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY]Customize Zorin to be more like UE but w/o the fluff

amsweitzer

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00:01 pm

New make the following desktop setup you need to download these files here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?votlsmm6x1v4ak1

I also installed gnome fallback by typing in terminal
sudo apt-get install gnome (this does not install the unity packages)
the I installed Cinnamon desktop by adding the repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
to add Super boot manager for animated graphical boot with icons using Burg
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ingalex/super-boot-manager

hit enter when the question to add the repository comes up
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
sudo apt-get install buc
sudo apt-get super-boot-manager
Install Conky

sudo apt-get conky-all

now to use the script for conky included in the download
extract zorinconkyfiles
the contents of the folder are hidden do [ctrl]-H to show move contents to home-username

to activate the script create a launcher by
menu/system tools/preferences/main menu/add new item/
Now that the launcher creation screen is up type {Name} Conky// {cmd will be} conky {description UE CONFIG CONKY} or whatever you want to help you id the launcher

Now that the launcher is made test it if the system data comes up its done need to make an auto start
right clck on the launcher make autostart item

One thing to check with the Conky script it may say Albert @ whatever you named your computer at the top under System to correct this
go to Home/ Ctrl-H to show hidden go to .conkyrc line 25 or 26 at the end says albert@nodename change albert to your login name save
leave the home dir
now to install theme and icons
Open ubuntu Tweak tweaks theme install the extcacted keep these compressed icon tar file and theme tar file
now using ubuntu tweak select ulimate edition icon set and ultimate edition theme
now for custon awn dock right click on your awn dock and themes custom install browse to the Blackredpanelawn.tgz and open now select it I don't you system indicator 3 applet same info is displayed in conky and the big grey bar is ugly
not including my icon for the dock refer to datek1's post on changing the icon in gnomenu
now put the azenis.png in your pictures folder and select change background and go to it

Thats it in a nutshell enjoy the new desktop and enjoy the safety of having your panel there if you need it to make the panel active you'll need to download and install gconfig-editor then find a tut on activating the panel as permanent hidden but if you need the panel the Command is [ALT]-F2 cmd gnome-panel