This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OneClick Uninstall Zorin(Linux ) OR Windows

mrboss

Fri May 24, 2013 7:45:14 pm

Hi Guys
today i have an easy way to Remove Any OS Zorin (or any other Linux Distro) OR Windows

Step 1 : get a live version of linux
You need a live version of linux (distro doesnt matter) to install the application (optional if you want to uninstall windows)
you can burn linux on cd or usb and start live

Step 2 : install OS-Uninstaller in live linux
open a new Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), then type/copy/paste :
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y os-uninstaller

Step 3 : Using OS-Uninstaller

1. launch OS-Uninstaller (System->Administration->OS-Uninstaller)
2.Then choose the OS you want to remove and click "OK"

3.A confirmation window will appear:

4.Click "Apply" to start the removal

5.that all

i tested the application myself but didnot try this installation method cuz i found it already installed in another distro

hope you like it
mr.boss

Lode

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:59:32 pm

I'm a newbie to Zorin (have only used the DVD inserted trial vrsion- but not understanding the official "How to uninstall Zorin OS" tutorial (yet):

"How to uninstall Zorin OS"
http://zorin-os.com/uninstallguide.html

Nor do I understand your tutorial. (Not being very pc knowlegeable.) So I looked on YouTube and found this:

"Removing Ubuntu Linux From A Dual Boot Windows PC - EasyBCD"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAWBZq04Izc

That seems more understandable to me. (I used to be a painter artist, so maybe my inclination by default is to vision of images.)

Does that method seem right for uninstalling Zorin?

I have Windows 8, and am afraid to just install Zorin 9 without understanding how to uninstall it in case I would want to.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:06:22 pm

Hi use Easy BCD 2.2 Community Edition from Softpedia - see this video here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

Am in process of about to upload video in respect of Windows 7 - Windows 8 may be some time to come yet! :D

Lode

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31:25 am

Thank you.

So that's you who I saw on the video yesterday before looking a bit further around and finding the other one I mentioned above.

It seems to me that your method is the safest. If something goes wrong with one of the two the other one still works.

Yet I was wondering: would the following not also work to get the hard disk back exactly as it was when making the System Image Backup?

"How to Use Windows 7′s Backup Tools in Windows 8"
http://www.howtogeek.com/131541/how-to- ... windows-8/

"Create System Image Backup of Windows 8.1 and Restore from it"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPIgrzHKgXo

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04:33 pm

Hi, no that was NOT me in the video! ;)

Just be aware (I found this out myself) creating a backup of 8.1 will want to use ALL of your external drive - so if you have other data you can kiss it good-bye! :evil:

I have just tried uploading (all last night and this morning) Part A of installing Zorin alongside Windws 7 - it crashed out at 96% - only another 8 hours to upload again! :(

Lode

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:06:54 pm

Eight hours of patience... I already have a hard time with one hour. :lol:

I'm used to making System Image Backups in Windows 7 on an external drive. At first it looked as if the only option was to restore from the latest backup, and that earlier made backups were gone. But then I saw the option to choose one of the previously made backups on the external drive. Don't remember the term, but it was just the only other option to check.

Not to lose stuff I always stash everything I want to keep on a memory stick and usually on an external drive as well.

I just added this in my above post before I saw your reply:

"How to Use Windows 7′s Backup Tools in Windows 8"
http://www.howtogeek.com/131541/how-to- ... windows-8/

I don't see how that would not restore the whole hard disk to it's backed up state, including the partition state. A separate partition used for Zorin should be gone after using the System Image Backup, if I understand it well.

So I could make a System Image Backup before installing Zorin 9, and keep that on an external driven just for the occasion I would want to have Windows 8 only again. (Slim chance, but just in case.)

I have Windows 8 look like Windows 7 with the help op Startisback. But even then it seems to have bugs.

(Or is the NSA on my case... having installed a super secret not yet by any AV discovered spyware? My scanners find nothing wrong.) :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29:03 pm

Well when running Windows these are the security packages I use:

AV (well full security suite at no cost actually!): Comodo Internet Security Suite (Free edition)
Malware - Malwarebytes (Free version) SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Edition)

For disaster recovery and hidden nasties - Comodo Recovery Disc - uses Slitaz Linux and will check for Rootkits and other deep-down nasties that may have not been picked up using other methods. :D

Lode

Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34:22 pm

I was able to make a System Image Backup of Windows 8 on an external drive. So I feel safe to install Zorin 9 now, and see how it works in it's normal much faster speed than in it's trial mode with the disk in the tray.

I have Emsisoft AntiMalware (761 days still valid licence) Online Armor Premiun firewall (idem license), Malwarebytes Pro (lifelong licence), SuperAntiSpyware Pro (lifelong), Hitman Pro free, and SpyShelter Pro (lifelong). I also am typing this while in the virtual space of Sandboxie (lifelong.) And because I run my default Opera 12.17 also by default in Sandboxie, that includes Opera 12.17's integrated email client. It's all always sandboxed by default automatically.

I saw to my happy surprise that I can use Opera 12.16 with Zorin 9.

It is surprising how inexpensive those lifelong licenses are. Spread over 30 years for example it comes down to less than $1 a year per license.

Now I'll have to find out how to make both OS's most easily dual bootable. I've already seen some tutorials to choose from...

I understand Zorin is much less likely to get infected by malware, but I'll activate it's firewall and see about other AV if there is any. A virtual space would be fine too. But I'm not going to worry too much about it. I plan on making System Image Backups in which both Zorin 9 and Windows 8 will be included, keeping the System Image Backup I made of Windows 8 before installing Zorin 9 on it's own separate external drive. For just in case.

rldipaolo

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:13:39 pm

Thank you very much!!!! Pretty simple uninstall, love it. Ironic that I can do this so easily in Zorin, where it is Zorin that I'm having to remove (due to unworkable performance issues). I don't like Windows, but it appears that Zorin still has some maturing yet to do before it's ready for me.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:56:11 am

rldipaolo wrote:Thank you very much!!!! Pretty simple uninstall, love it. Ironic that I can do this so easily in Zorin, where it is Zorin that I'm having to remove (due to unworkable performance issues). I don't like Windows, but it appears that Zorin still has some maturing yet to do before it's ready for me.

You should really try Zorin 11 - it is a brilliant release - When I went to 'Add Printer' I noticed I had my printer unplugged because I had to use some other peripheral kit on a different OS after install I wanted to check - before I even went to select printer on plugging the All-in-One Canon Printer it was immediately recognised and printed an order I had just made on the internet - and simple scan worked out of the box too! ;) :D

hare1222

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:41:33 am

OS Uninstaller worked just fine for me. I followed your steps and used OS Uninstaller to wipe Zorin OS off my hard drive.

Zorin OS ain't bad, but is no match for Linux Mint 17.3.

My only gripe is not knowing how to reclaim the area Zorin once occupied. But I figure I can dig that info up in due time.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:33:13 pm

If you are reclaiming space for Windows that is not an issue but it will be if you mean Linux Mint - regardless of what GNU/Linux you use only shrinking of partitions can happen, not expansion/make bigger. Havinig looked at Linux Mint a few iterations ago, I find it stayed and boring - this is much more fun:

download/file.php?id=4672&mode=view

Ultimate Edition twist on Ubuntu Mate. ;) :D

Oreally?

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:51:20 am

Hi all. I'm a newbie with Zorin. I've used Mint in the (distant) past, I thought Zorin would be a breeze. Unfortunately I've found it incredibly difficult to install, and once installed that it has no wifi drivers (tried latest versions of Lite and Core). As I don't have LAN access that's Zorin pretty much unuseable for me. Zorin was recommended to me by my son, and he said on his install that network was part of the install and ran immediately, So not too sure about Zorin's reliability or stability.
By the way, the installer that worked in the end was Rufus. I found balenaetcher just wouldn't do the job, had the latest download of that too.

Aravisian

Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07:48 am

Oreally? wrote:Hi all. I'm a newbie with Zorin. I've used Mint in the (distant) past, I thought Zorin would be a breeze. Unfortunately I've found it incredibly difficult to install, and once installed that it has no wifi drivers (tried latest versions of Lite and Core). As I don't have LAN access that's Zorin pretty much unuseable for me. Zorin was recommended to me by my son, and he said on his install that network was part of the install and ran immediately, So not too sure about Zorin's reliability or stability.
By the way, the installer that worked in the end was Rufus. I found balenaetcher just wouldn't do the job, had the latest download of that too.

I had trouble with Balenaetcher and many others have expressed the same.

Lenovo is notoriously difficult to install Linux on. And Zorin is built off of Ubuntu, meaning any problems Ubuntu has with Nvidia or Lenovo hardware, Zorin will have.

I can assure you that Zorin does come with the Wifi drivers. However, your experience may stem from incompatibility with the drivers to your hardware. Another distro may suit your needs by providing a different set of drivers on installation.
For you, your experience is Valid and based off your own observations. For me, Zorin has been the most stable distro I have ever tried - across many different machines.
It is funny, our experiences differ. I landed on Zorin because I could not get Mint to take to a USB and finally, when I got fed up and burned it to DVD - it would not take to my computer. It was unstable, crashed often and it bogged down very quickly. I think Linux Mint is a great OS, but the fact is, these machines are all built for Windows Operation Systems.
Your Wifi card, your GPU, all have software installed on them and they often have their own processor. This hardware processes independently and then must communicate with the motherboard. Any driver error that causes them to not communicate or translate properly will be felt heavily by the user. And that hardware is programmed with software to communicate with the main OS on the Motherboard assuming that Main OS to be: Windows.

I do not believe that your sons recommendation was in error. Clearly, I find Zorin to be one of the most stable distros out there. But... It won't fit every machine built. No distro can.
You may try Distro-hopping and explore other possibilities. Or you may decide to troubleshoot and fix up Zorin rather than go through the hassle of installing a new OS on your machine hoping for success each time.
Whichever it is, feel free to ask here on this forum for help. We won't turn you away just because you are using a different distro. I myself, used Xubuntu instead of Zorin for a couple months or so.