This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ALL the things you may want to do after a fresh install

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:31:27 pm

The aim of this thread is to both indicate good practices and suggestions in order to make life easy when it comes to make the basic setup of the system before/after a fresh install.
We may create 2 sections: one about good practices and the other about suggestions possibly to developers.
So, let's start our engines and write down our comments!

Waiting for a better arrangement of this discussion on the forum, we may start writing each post including the capital words GOOD PRACTICES or SUGGESTION respectively whether you want to write about the former or the latter.

TO THE FORUM ADMINISTRATORS: is it possible to create the GOOD PRACTICES and the SUGGESTION sections on this forum? Or is it possible to locate them in suitable existing sections?

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:51:29 pm

SUGGESTION
A fresh install may imply you having backed up some setting/configuration before actually running the fresh install.
It would be great to have a tool performing such kind of backup and import it to the fresh installation. Such a tool may be included in the installation process when realizing that a compatible OS was running on the same machine before being replaced by the fresh install. You know, I am not talking about a method to make a fresh install without backuping your data (that would be hypergreat thoug!). I am talking about all such annoying tasks you should think about before/after installing a new distro.
For example, such a tool may backup:
- browser bookmarks, saved passwords and other settings (plugin/add-on list etc)
- user settings
- list of installed software not installed by default on the distribution to be fresh installed (this may include importing the PPA list and possibly automatically install the previously installed software)

I know for sure that many of such tasks may be completed manually, but I am also sure it is quite common to forget pieces on the way. Personally, for example, I use to forget to save bookmarks, I find boring adding the PPA of my commonly used software etc.
Such a tool may even perform such a backup before performing the fresh install and generate an all-in-one script/archive to be used by the same tool after the fresh install is completed.
Would any one else find it useful?
Would you add some other important thing to be backed up by such a tool?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06:46 pm

maccabbeo wrote:The aim of this thread is to both indicate good practices and suggestions in order to make life easy when it comes to make the basic setup of the system before/after a fresh install.
We may create 2 sections: one about good practices and the other about suggestions possibly to developers.
So, let's start our engines and write down our comments!

Waiting for a better arrangement of this discussion on the forum, we may start writing each post including the capital words GOOD PRACTICES or SUGGESTION respectively whether you want to write about the former or the latter.

TO THE FORUM ADMINISTRATORS: is it possible to create the GOOD PRACTICES and the SUGGESTION sections on this forum? Or is it possible to locate them in suitable existing sections?

There are some very good 'stickies' [STICKY]'s in the How-To's and Tutorials and Global announcements. I did gather a lot of these and put them altogether as much as I could in the time over Christmas 2012 for Zorin 6:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5435

Wolfman has updated this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

Plus see a raft of tutorials and how-tos in the section of the same name:

viewforum.php?f=6

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07:43 pm

maccabbeo wrote:SUGGESTION
A fresh install may imply you having backed up some setting/configuration before actually running the fresh install.
It would be great to have a tool performing such kind of backup and import it to the fresh installation. Such a tool may be included in the installation process when realizing that a compatible OS was running on the same machine before being replaced by the fresh install. You know, I am not talking about a method to make a fresh install without backuping your data (that would be hypergreat thoug!). I am talking about all such annoying tasks you should think about before/after installing a new distro.
For example, such a tool may backup:
- browser bookmarks, saved passwords and other settings (plugin/add-on list etc)
- user settings
- list of installed software not installed by default on the distribution to be fresh installed (this may include importing the PPA list and possibly automatically install the previously installed software)

I know for sure that many of such tasks may be completed manually, but I am also sure it is quite common to forget pieces on the way. Personally, for example, I use to forget to save bookmarks, I find boring adding the PPA of my commonly used software etc.
Such a tool may even perform such a backup before performing the fresh install and generate an all-in-one script/archive to be used by the same tool after the fresh install is completed.
Would any one else find it useful?
Would you add some other important thing to be backed up by such a tool?

We already have a place for SUGGESTIONs too - Brainstorm here:

viewforum.php?f=9 :D :