This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A Little Business Solution for Newbies

Zorinator

Fri May 02, 2014 10:21:35 am

A layman's guide for laymen; experienced Linux geeks please give this a wide berth, it is not for you.

I have compiled this because these are the things needed by newcomers and it can take very long to find a practical solution. This could save newbies time & effort!

Linux really is easier to use than some Windows versions. Distro's like Zorin and Mint already include much of what the business user needs, such as Thunderbird mail, LibreOffice, etc. Another office suite that works well is Kingsoft and you can download .deb installer from here.

Email: If you are using a Google account and an Android phone, you can sync email, calendar & contacts with add-ins for Thunderbird, also tasks. Thunderbird as a good mail client supporting POP and IMAP. The Android alternative with enhanced functionality is MailDroid

Calendar: Your Google calendar opens in a tab in Thunderbird and it can be made accessible off-line as well. In Android, I use BusinessCalendar as it works better and it is free.

Notes: I am also using ThunderKeep for which there is an add-in for Thunderbird although you can sync that through a browser app as well. Of course, there is Keep in Android!

Accounting-wise, there is Grisbi or GNUcash that will address most or all of your bookkeeping requirements.

Local sync is possible and you will need a very basic computer to set up as a server to run ownCloud. With this tool, you can sync PIM organizer data, documents, audio, video, etc., between your computer/laptop, tablet and phone without needing to take data off your premises or using the internet. Your own private wireless network will do just fine.

PIM - Personal Information Manager eg MS Outlook.

There are other solutions but the set-up above is aimed at former Windows XP users who need a new home, or others wanting to board the Linux train, but get lost amidst the myriad distro's, strange jargon and too many opinions from geeky enthusiasts. It is not meant as being authoritative; just entry level solutions that can be put in place by an average Windows user.

Please do not confuse the issue by posting negative comments or a myriad of "better solutions" which may be well-intended but that will only confuse new users. Only post when you really have a better yet simple solution and when you really have something constructive and positive to contribute. Posts that do not meet this requirement will have to be removed by a moderator.

keithterrill

Sun May 25, 2014 12:06:02 am

thank you, this has been a bit of help. i have just stuck my toes into the Linux waters and though I have years of computer experience (since 1973), I know almost nothing of the Linux world. I as a consultant have just started helping others make a move/migration from Microsoft (especially XP/2000 machines) to a Linux environment that will give them the functionality they are used to.

Zorinator

Sun May 25, 2014 2:33:11 pm

Welcome to this wonderful world of ZorinOS (and Linux.) I am glad that it could help someone! You may also find this link useful: http://www.unixguide.net/linux/linuxshortcuts.shtml

While I am not against Windows, I must say that I found Linux to be more compatible with hardware than some Windows versions, especially on the 64-bit side of things. I am not Linux qualified at all but, when I started with Linux, it was less smooth than it is now and I cannot remember how many times I have formatted and re-installed since, mostly out of curiosity as I wanted to get to know a variety of distro's. Zorin by far is the easiest and smoothest, second is Mint and, for someone who just want a computer that works, best advice is not to venture beyond these two excellent pieces of software.

There is more information that may be useful also at http://www.maclindroid.wordpress.com/bu ... beginners/ but I am sure that the nice, friendly forum users and admins here can answer many questions.