This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install for Blind user optimization

Anhaux

Fri May 23, 2014 7:24:25 am

Install for Low Vision Linux
useful tools and accessibility

Install Zorin 8.1 (64 or 32 bit)

after install go to

Start>universal access.
High contrast ON
large text ON

Changes the Desktop Icons to be more readable

Install updates to be current with stable Releases (even an older version of Zorin will be upgraded to current release packages. Example Zorin 6 will be upgraded to zorin 8 or better..)

Start>System Tools>Administration>Software Updater

install Chrome Extentions (voice recognition web page reading,readabilty Search for these files)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

chromevox (voice and webpage reading)
US English Female Text-to-speech (by Google)
add zoom (screen magnifier)
high contrast (Web page adjustments)
goonow voice search (Voice search)
voice instead (Voice input)
announcify (Speech to text box)

Click to install into chrome Browser

icon to adjust will appear in top right menu after installs

Chrome adjustments

On the top right corner click on the icon that looks like 3 horizontal bars

To set a home page like google select open specific page radio button and set to your preferred start page. I also set all the boxes in appearance so I can see all menu bars and have a home button on the window.

To enlarge screen on chrome selct settings there is a menu item called zoom, adjust to suit

Go to Software Center on Start

Start>Software Center
(Type in the Search bar on the top right) the following programs Then click install)

Install Calibre (Ebook reader converter and Organizer)

(Tweak the Book Cover Box)select the bar between search box and the title window and enlarge

Now set up Book Viewer customization. Go to Start> Office>E Book Viewer. On the left 4th from the bottom is an icon that looks like gears, select this and edit the tab

choose the default font size and adjust to suit, Then select minimum font size, I input 48 and 36 as my preferences. You can then adjust colors of background and text, Adjust to suit or leave as black and white, I prefer Yellow on Black

Install qBittorrent (for bit torrent downloads)

Setup Magnet Links to use qbittorent. Goto goto search engine and type “Jules Vern Torrent” Without the quotes. Choose a result

On the second picture on the upper left. There will be an icon that looks like a Little Horseshoe magnet, Select this, a window will appear asking you what program to use to open this, choose home>usr>bin>qbittorrent.exe

Install Xsane (Scanning and OCR)
Install Multilanguage OCR (search for cuneiform)
Install Firefox (Alternative browser without Speak aloud)
To tweak Firefox go to the upper right hand corner to the icon that looks like 3 lines on top of each other.

select preferences and type in the address of your preferred start page I prefer http://www.google.com or you can add a news source like CNN

now we will add a video capture button to firefox to save youtube videos. In google seach type ant video downloader. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er-player/
install into firefox, When You play a video an icon will appear that look like a little globe. Clicking this will save the video into your documents folder.

Install XBMC (Best media Player)
(Change xbmc to windowed mode or else you cant change to different workspaces)
go to Systems>System>video output>windowed
Now choose default folders,

Under Music choose files then add source, Do the same for video, (always drag movies, Pictures and music to the appropriate folders labeled in your home directory)

Install kmag (window magnifier) Under settings I choose follow mouse mode. Then Launch the program. To add the Magnifier on the task bar Launch it, Then on the task bar right click on the icon and select Pin Application. Works for all running applications

Install gscan2pdf (scans to PDF)

Install gPDFText ebook editor (Simple PDF edit)

Install winFF (converts between video formats

Install acid rip (Captures a DVD to a file)

Change Video Source to /dev/sr0 (Default is /dev/dvd and will not work)
Under file size tab change the size if You want High quality. I really don't see detail
so I set it at 1500 mb. Once the dvd is loaded choose LOAD and then select the track, (usually the longest) On the left hand menu of the video tab Choose crop then detect. I also choose Xvid codec under Video and on the General tab choose pcm audio or else I find the video audio doesn't sync, but you'll have to play with the settings to get a video quality you like.

Track will be in a directory in your home directory. Then copy it to your video directory

Install DVD Styler (Makes DVD with menu's)

Optional Install Virtualbox ( optional to install windows OS virtualPC's)

Optional install

Optional Install Dosbox (optional Plays old dos games, not easy to understand)

Optional Install kazam (optional Screen and windowed video capture ,)
(I make training vids with this)

Optional Install Isomaster

Optional Install gns

How to's (to be added later)

how to add epub extension to firefox

how to add epub extension to chrome

how to magnify function on firefox

how to magnify on libre office

how make mp3 audio book using kazam

how to tweak ebook readers , font contrast,size

how to add items to pin menu tutorial

Launch any application in this example we will choose image magick under the graphics start menu
on the menu bar an ico will appear. Right click the icon and choose Pin Application. A permanent link will appear to launch this program, to remove right click and choose Unpin Application

I find the following searches of websites very useful

http://www.mp3skull.com (Finds mp3 music)
http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/wallpapers.shtml (Great wallpapers)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ Free ebooks

(Search for ebooks)
in google search enter the following to make a “pipe” the Vertical bar between the book formats, use <shift + backslash key right above the enter key> You an also just enter a single extension but I like having it find the book in whatever format to read. If you cant figure out how to make a pipe don't worry just clip and paste the following search)

allinurl:(CBZ|CBR|CBC|CHM|DJVU|DOCX|EPUB|FB2|HTML|HTMLZ|LIT|LRF|MOBI|ODT|PDF|PRC|PDB|PML|RB|RTF|SNB|TCR|TXT|TXTZ) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

(finds ebooks just change the text at the end after the Parentheses to the name of the book your looking for) i.e. The Moon is a harsh Mistress to Dracula etc.

Hope this tutorial is of help, Please pass it on if you find it useful

Carlos Gonzales
Anhaux

(EDITED by Moderator - to prevent spam email to user!!!)

Swarfendor437

Sat May 24, 2014 2:37:44 pm

Some good information - but stll no solution for someon who has no vision whatsoever!!

See my thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6362&hilit=+orca