This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] Clean, update & upgrade your system

blfriis

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12:19 am

Hi everyone here's a couple of commands I use for cleaning and updating my system. Maybe they're already in the forum, if so you can just delete this post.
Use this command for cleaning and updating your system, it doesn't remove or update the kernels.
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get check -y && sudo apt-get autoremove -y --force-yes && sudo apt-get clean -y --force-yes && sudo rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/Trash/files && sudo rm -rf ~/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db && sudo find ~/.thumbnails -type f -exec rm {} \; && sudo rm -rf /var/log/*.gz && sudo updatedb && sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y --force-yes

If you want to remove old kernels too, then use this one.
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get check -y && sudo apt-get autoremove -y --force-yes && sudo apt-get clean -y --force-yes && sudo rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/Trash/files && sudo rm -rf ~/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db && sudo find ~/.thumbnails -type f -exec rm {} \; && sudo rm -rf /var/log/*.gz && sudo updatedb && sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y --force-yes && sudo apt-get purge $(dpkg -l linux-{image,headers}-"[0-9]*" | awk '/ii/{print $2}' | grep -ve $(uname -r | sed -r 's/-[a-z]+//') | sed ':a;N;$!ba;s/\n/ /g')

Besure that your system runs on the latest kernel course you cant go back to the previous kernel
I've been using them in Zorin 9 for some time now and no problems,

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27:50 pm

Hi, Felt this needed to be made a sticky so it should now be at or near the top of the How-Tos first page! ;) :D

Visitors to this thread, please note - if you click on the 'Select All' it copies it into the clipboard - you then just right-click and select 'paste' in an open terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T)