This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[ Sticky ] Change to Mac look

Henriolavi

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:24:13 pm

How to change Zorin 9 free editions to Mac look and feel

This is a step by step tutorial how to change Zorin 9 Core or Educational to look and feel like Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite. I put this document here to a little more compact form.

If you want to have entirely Mac outlook to your Zorin desktop you have to move the AWN panel to the top, change its theme to “smoke” and change then windows' theme, icons' theme and cursors' theme to achieve the Mac outlook and style. You have to install also “Docky” dock and “Gnome tweak tool” either from software center or by using terminal and following command lines.

It is suggested to use preferably “Docky” dock to get stable and easy “Mac Yosemite” outlook to the dock.

What is included into this transformation?
-Themes that changes outlook like latest Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite
-Separate GTK themes for widows and interface
-Latest Mac icon set
-Three “Docky” themes
-Auto set themes and icons script

1. Installing Docky and Tweak tool

Here are the terminal commands to install Docky dock and Gnome tweak tool:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install docky

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

2. Installing macbuntu window and icon themes

Install and add following “macbuntu” window and icon themes to tweak tool.

Here are the needed terminal commands to install the themes and icons:

Terminal Commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mbuntu-y-ithemes-v4
sudo apt-get install mbuntu-y-icons-v4

To uninstall themes, icons and cursors from your system.

Terminal Commands:
cd /usr/share/icons/mac-cursors && sudo ./uninstall-mac-cursors.sh
sudo apt-get remove mbuntu-y-icons-v4 mbuntu-y-ithemes-v4

3. Installing “Docky” themes and applying installed other themes

To the "Docky" there are available three background alternatives according to Yosemite-theme. These can be added using following command lines:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mbuntu-y-docky-skins-v4

Use this command if removing docky themes from your system:

Terminal Command:
sudo apt-get autoremove docky mbuntu-y-docky-skins-v4

After installation choose from tweak tool windows and interface themes (MBuntu-Y-For-Gnome-Fallback), icons theme (Mbuntu-OS -Y) and Cursor theme (Mac-cursors). Open the “Docky” and add there your frequently used applications by opening the applications from menu and pinning those icons to the dock.
Note that there has been used the "Docky" dock and it has changed to "Yosemite-look" now by selecting “Mbuntu-Y-A” theme and without using 3D background from “Docky Settings”. Icon size can be adjusted and additional “Doclets” can be added also there.

4. Changing the wallpaper to “Yosemite background”

Next you can change the background to some “Mac OSX Yosemite” background according to the theme that you have. Wallpapers can be downloaded from this web page:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/18 ... allpapers/

After download copy those files to “pictures” folder, rightclick and select “Set as Wallpaper”. (There might be need to downscale the 4k resolution pictures to reduce the file size).

The deksktop looks after these changes like following screenshot.

Mac OSX  Yosemite.jpg

Top panel is hiding but visible in this picture. Panel is still needed due to there are not ie. menu or shutdown buttons in Docky . The used backgroud is one of the "official" Yosemite theme backgrounds.

5. To change the LibreOffice to “Monochrome” outlook

To improve the Mac look and feel additionally, LibreOffice view-theme can be changed from “Human” to "Sifr" by using this terminal command.

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-style-sifr

Then open "Libre office / Tools / Options / View" and change outlook to "Sifr"

Libre office sifr-theme.jpg

I think that here are almost all what can be done to get Mac "look and feel" to Zorin 9 free editions without problems. These has been tested using Zorin 9 Edu. There are still some small (optional) things that are possibly useful additions, like adding Mac fonts and changing the title bar buttons from right to the left corner.

6. Moving buttons to left corner and adding Mac fonts

The buttons can be moved to left by using this command in terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,minimize,maximize:'

And finally all looks like Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite , also the buttons.

If someone wants to use also Mac fonts those are available here:

wget -O mac-fonts.zip http://drive.noobslab.com/data/Mac-14.10/macfonts.zip
sudo unzip mac-fonts.zip -d /usr/share/fonts; rm mac-fonts.zip
sudo fc-cache -f -v

Then those fonts can be changed from tweak tool under "Fonts" to be used in the “Window Titles” , “Interface” and also when writing documents.

window themes.jpg

After installation there might still be same lacking “Yosemite theme” icons. I believe that there will come updates to add those afterwards.

Anonymous

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:10:09 pm

Here's the AwnPanelTheme !!!! :D :D

Note : Using this will match the [ indicator3applet ] with the rest of the panel.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37:35 pm

@henriolavi - That 'Home' icon looks exactly the same as that which Microsoft use in their Windows 10 Preview! :o

Henriolavi

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10:16 am

Change to Mac Lion Theme

If someone prefer to use some earlier outlook of Mac like this screenshot's "Lion theme", then make the transformation according to these deviations to "Yosemite" theme.

Lion Theme.jpg

Install from software center or by using terminal "Cairo dock" and "Gnome Tweak Tool"

Commands to install "Cairo dock:

Terminal Commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cairo-dock-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins

Install these windows, icon and cursor themes. This v3-set offers four windows themes, MBuntu -iB, -Mb, -X and -Zukimac, and three icon sets MBuntu-OSX, -SL and -XL. Enter following commands in to terminal to get these Mac window themes, icons and cursors themes:

Terminal Commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mac-ithemes-v3
sudo apt-get install mac-icons-v3
After installation choose window themes, icons and mac cursor from tweak tool's "Appearance" window.

If you want to Uninstall themes, icons and cursors, then ...
Terminal Commands:
cd /usr/share/icons/mac-cursors && sudo ./uninstall-mac-cursors.sh
sudo apt-get remove mac-ithemes-v3 mac-icons-v3

Other changes like LibreOffice to use "monochrome icons" and buttons move to left corner has to be done same way as in transformation to "Yosemite".

"Cairo dock" offers good 3D outlook and by default also "menu" launcher and some additional functionality compared to "Docky". There is no need now to add any "dock themes" to Cairo dock. Note that "Shutdown" works now only from the "Log out" button on the Cairo dock.

Lion Desk.jpg

Lion theme wallpapers used here are available in this web page:

http://hdw.eweb4.com/search/mac+lion/#10

Same Lion themes are availlable to FireFox. The smal window of workspaces appears on left down corner even if the dock has been hidden and can be used also with mouse's roll to move to other workspaces only by mowing the cursor into the window.

Lion theme to FF and roll mouse.png

Then just enjoy your nice Mac Lion outlook and UI on Zorin.

I have these themes and Cairo dock installed to my laptop due to "Docky" disappears from the screen every time I connect or remove the battery charger there.

Zorin 9 Mac Lion theme document here in PDF format:

Yulia

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:07:28 am

I have purchased Zorin ultimate edition in order to have the macOS theme included as they advertise but I don't find the theme. Anyone knows something about it?

zorinantwerp

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38:21 pm

Yulia wrote:I have purchased Zorin ultimate edition in order to have the macOS theme included as they advertise but I don't find the theme. Anyone knows something about it?

Please use next time the correct 'help and support' section

Goto 'all settings' and look for Zorin Appearance'

copy of my desktop

cheers