This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Google Earth and Garmin

Volksvegan

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:30:02 am

[Using Zorin 9 Lite on an eeepc 900A and 900]
After getting an error message about not having the right graphics card for the most current version of Google Earth, even though it installed (which I discovered is a typical situation in Ubuntu), I found an older version here http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/import/g/googleearth/ ; I used the 6.1, i386.deb one (scanned it first). It may not have the bells and whistles of the newer version (such as all the detail of the bottom of the oceans....probably don't need that, LOL), but works great and I'm able to upload hikes from Garmin Connect to it, use street view and everything else I need.
****It does take a while for the planet to load when you first open the program - be patient! The little black square will soon be filled with a lovely Big Blue Marble. ;)

Speaking of Garmin, my old (actually ancient) Forerunner 301 had ceased to upload on Windoze because the plugins wouldn't work any more, even the new versions. Lo and behold, a visit to Synaptic rewarded me with a plugin that now works flawlessly with Garmin Connect! Saved me hundreds of $ on a new Forerunner and the satisfaction of making old tech work good as new. Me happy. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34:24 pm

Hi Volksvegan, madvinegar posted a link some time ago to some old copies of Google Earth that work and I think they were pre 6.1 - don't know if the link to his files is still on here but you could do a quick search as well see if it runs a bit faster?

Glad to hear about your Forerunner issues working under GNU/Linux - that is where the similarity with Windows and GNU/Linux ends - the latte lets you use old kit without having to "upgrade this" and "upgrade that"! :D