This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing HP printer wireless, HowTo

kb5050

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:28:49 pm

This is very brief, but to tell you that if you are the lucky ones to have an HP Wireless Printer or any of the newerish Professional Series.
For those unfamiliar, here is how to get it to install and how to get around the install failures.

I had just recently installed Zorin OS9. When it installed, it automatically picked up my printer, but named it Laserjet. It would not do anything, so I removed it and tried to reinstall it, with no luck. It appears to go in just fine but you cannot print anything.

Ok so a simple Google search reveals that to install it you need hplip installed. That is installed, but if you go to the Software Center, you will find there is also a GUI (Very nice) hplip available. That tempts you to install that, which by default isnt. Go ahead and install it as you might like it later on.
You CAN install the printer using it, but it also will fail, as it asks for the root password, 3 strike rule and your out.

I discuvered the correct solution, is simple.

Open a terminal and enter
sudo hp-setup

This works, and it successfully downloads and installs the proprietary driver.

My printer is connected already to the network via wireless.
If yours is not, then choose USB instead.
It will go and scan find and install with no errors.

When your done just close out. DONE.

Now the problem is that the GUI version Toolbox will now work and support all printer functions and is a decent tool to also allow you to easily cancel print jobs, and check toner levels etc etc etc.
I am calling it a problem because it fails unless you run it as root. This does need to be fixed in the Software center distribution.
It fails to install the printer if your not in sudo mode, and so it denies you and fails.
So you must run the initial install from the terminal in sudo mode.

Hopefully this will avoid countless problems going round and round the installation to other Newbies.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:29:58 am

Hi,

please see the printing section of the post install guide for HP printer set-up:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054&p=8048#p8048