This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Patching the oncoming "software center" issue

Maerskian

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:54:16 am

I just finished reading this:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2016/0 ... e-and.html

Essentially, it's a guide to install a tool named "Ubuntu After Install" that will allow us to install the most usually demanded apps & codecs the easy-way .

Given how bad the Gnome Software Center behaves, this looks like a really good idea for those going with Ubuntu.

Still far from perfect, as "Ubuntu After Install" has a couple glitches and things that could be better ( not having all check-boxes marked from the get-go for example ) , polished... but all in all... thought this would be a really great addition to Zorin if implemented as a tool of its own :) .

The concept itself is what makes it great... makes the usual "to-do" stuff easier & quicker ... considering the software center doesn't work as it should... at least this is a simple ( or not so simple ? ) way to patch thing in the meanwhile. I mean... think we all know what the most popular apps are... more or less... so having a tool at hand that makes 'em easier to install feels even natural, don't you think ?

Just though i'd pitch this one

Additionally: it'd be great if Zorin reduced to the bare minimum the amount of things to do after install it :

Having the firewall activated, battery-saving configurations already made, better font rendering, privacy settings, etc ...

For reference, i'd say the developer of PinguyOS did a great job pre-configuring the system.... although, maybe having so many pre-installed add-ons on firefox draws the line ...

Not even sure if some of the usual stuff recommended here was already taken into account for next Zorin version:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9785

that would certainly be great .

Not sure if this post should go here ... have been looking around and felt like it should fit here; feel free to move it to any other sub-forum if necessary.

Can't wait for Zorin OS 12 ^__^ !!!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:13:14 pm

Hi Maerskian, I agree - if you take a look at Quelitu, (equivalent of Zorin Lite) it has a great set of scripts to run post-install - that would be a starting point for Zorin Lite at least.

Now MakuluLinux takes it a step further by centralising your choice of software interface:

36.png

Will post a brief review of MakuluLinux LinDoz in 'Off-Topic' section. ;) :D

Maerskian

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:39:05 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Maerskian, I agree - if you take a look at Quelitu, (equivalent of Zorin Lite) it has a great set of scripts to run post-install - that would be a starting point for Zorin Lite at least.

Now MakuluLinux takes it a step further by centralising your choice of software interface:

36.png

Will post a brief review of MakuluLinux LinDoz in 'Off-Topic' section. ;) :D

Never heard of Quelitu before O__O , will check the youtube video now , thanks for spreading the word ;-) , always love to know about alternatives... although i still love Zorin too much ^__^ .

Hmmm... can't say i like Makulu's proposal: For starters... a working software center is necessary for newcomers... and as things stand... the one from Mint looks like the way to go... then, software centers are extremely easy to use... but as far as i know, never have exactly the same amount of packages included on Synaptic... so those ( a working software center + Synaptic ) two are complementary... and necessary anyways :roll:

Pragatipol

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:35:34 am

Pretty good site. I learnt a lot here. Thanks for this thread! Keep up the good work!