This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 8 Core RC

Anonymous

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33:56 am

Zorin OS 8 Core RC 32/64 bit !!!!

32-bit Link : http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-o ... o/download

64-bit Link : http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-o ... o/download

Leave your Feedback Here : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6132

Extra Zorin OS 8 Menus in the making here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6149
Check regularly for new ones that will be released by Gizmuntu

To different ZOS 8 Themes that come within [> Zorin Theme Changer <]
Minus the Background and Fanenza Icon's !!!! :D :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:56:11 pm

WOWWWWWWW! That bottom screenshot looks like Windows Ultimate! :D

Wolfman

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:14:12 pm

Hi all,

if you are not an advanced Linux user, stick with what you have for now as this is an "Alpha" version of Zorin 8 !.

Things I found wrong thus far:

If you don't set up to auto login, it will automatically select the guest account and won't allow you to do anything administrative.

If you log out, it will only allow you to log in to the guest account!.

AWN (Avant) panel won't allow another panel so I advise you to install "Docky".

Mouse scroll doesn't respond correctly!.

Regards Wolfman :D

portaro

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:39:42 pm

The black theme is amazing, how i can get them to my zorin 6?

Anonymous

Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14:24 am

I've been goofing around with ZOS8 on various machines most of the day Friday.
And 90 % of the time right after installation...all I had to do was was flip..flop between the Guest session and my log-in ID to get the regular session to stick instead of the guest. [ No problem afterward with either !!!! ]
One time I did likewise basically the same way from the session and power.... system button.. from the bottom right side of the desktop panel.
No major problems at all afterward with anything else...even the Nvidia drivers installed just like they should.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:59:51 am

portaro wrote:The black theme is amazing, how i can get them to my zorin 6?

Not quite the same but how about this?:

Screenshot Desktop.jpg

To get this look I had to remove avant-window-navigator and gnomenu - I then had to remove 'various-zorin-os-modifications 1.1.5'

and followed the instructions here:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

Wolfman

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:21:37 am

Hi all,

another thing I found out is that Skype needs to have the Pulse Audio Manager (Paman) open and running before it will work!, see this thread about "Paman":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Make sure that you open Paman before starting Skype!.

The sound control buttons on my keyboard don't work either!.

You will also need the package "libdvdcss2" for playback of DVD's, download the 3rd (64 Bit) or 4th (32 Bit) package from here:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.10/deb/

Here is a current screenshot of my Z8 desktop with Docky at the top, Clearweather screenlet and Conky Manager Gotham theme for the desktop clock:
Workspace 1_070.jpg

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53:14 pm

Hi Gizmuntu, great job - I recognised that second wallpaper! :D

http://www.jamendo.com/en/list/a89160/t ... ves-vol.-7

Wolfman

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:11:54 pm

Hi all,

to solve the logout - login problem, create a new account and at the login window, click on the name of the normal user account or the new account name, don't click on the the account "Guest" and everything will (should) work fine as far as logging in and out goes.

The best tool to use is "Users & Groups" which is a part of the package "gnome-system-tools" and you can install it via a terminal with the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Anonymous

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59:26 pm

This is the way things should look....when everything matches !!!!

Decimator Omega

Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:34:10 am

I love it. Zorin OS 8 is awesome! :D

gorin002

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:20:27 pm

ile will download it or buy on a cd

madvinegar

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:45:46 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:This is the way things should look....when everything matches !!!!

The colours of the menu like this (half white, half black) are just great. This is how the menu of the final version of ZOrin 8 should look like.

Brahim

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:23:30 pm

This release is great but it has some issues:

1- While installing it the installer crashed

2- Vlc is not there and some video codecs are not supported by the default player

My suggestion:

1- replace libreoffice with Openoffice 4: it has lots of bug fixes and it looks like windows office

2- Include vlc by default

3- Include onboard by default

4- Replace nautilus with nemo: it has more feature like format and create bootable USB and all

5 -Include USB installer and formatter by default like on Linux Mint 16

6- Use Cinnamon instead of awn dock because it is easier to theme and more stable. I am working on creating a Zorin OS 8 Cinnamon theme now. There are also lots of Windows 7 menu applets on cinnamon spices too.
:D :D :D

Anonymous

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:36:34 am

Brahim >

This is a RC not the official release !!!!
I sure hope Zorin Group doesn't do anything like the Cinnamon Desktop.
Cinnamon Desktop has been a catastrophe from the beginning. :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:
The Mate Desktop is a different story.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48:51 am

Brahim wrote:This release is great but it has some issues:

1- While installing it the installer crashed

2- Vlc is not there and some video codecs are not supported by the default player

My suggestion:

1- replace libreoffice with Openoffice 4: it has lots of bug fixes and it looks like windows office

2- Include vlc by default

3- Include onboard by default

4- Replace nautilus with nemo: it has more feature like format and create bootable USB and all

5 -Include USB installer and formatter by default like on Linux Mint 16

6- Use Cinnamon instead of awn dock because it is easier to theme and more stable. I am working on creating a Zorin OS 8 Cinnamon theme now. There are also lots of Windows 7 menu applets on cinnamon spices too.
:D :D :D

VLC is good but there have been security issues in the past - for me SMPlayer (with YouTube add-on) is the best video player.

LibreOffice is far superior to OpenOffice - most of the devs left OpenOffice when Oracle took over from Sun Microsystems and one of the leading Devs that left before this that setup GoOo ceased his dev work to join the other devs at The Document Foundation. I tried installing OpenOffice on Pear which was a complete disaster as it does not have an installer for GNU/Linux so I don't know how easy that is to configure. Libre Office has far more going for it and in a recent article in LXF LibreOffice was the outright winner! :D

Wolfman reported not long ago that the AWN project has been resurrected by someone else so it could well become stable. :D

If you are really desperate to have an Office Suite that looks like M$ you could install Kingsoft Office but that has not equivalent of Access and it is 'closed source' - why one of its Chinese users where it comes from, stopped using it.

Brahim

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07:51 am

That was a long time ago when OpenOffice buggy but now things are diffrent. Get it here http://www.openoffice.org/download/ it is composed of a set of deb files and a "desktop-integration" file which has a deb file itself. But you need to purge LibreOffice so that you can install it like this:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*

and then right-click on the file and select "run in terminal" and excute this command:

Code:
dpkg -i *.deb

it will install the office suite bu you have to install the desktop-integration deb so that you get the launchers and all :D Try it for yourself :D

I have discussed this on the Mint forum as well here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=154893

Concerning Cinnamon I don't think it is a disaster at all/.. Lots of developers hate it because they never used the latest versions of it or maybe because they hate gnome 3 all in all. But if you try Cinnamon 2.0 (which is a fork of gnome now) you see that all these claims are not based on any facts. It is fast and complete :D it has more features than any other DE see for yourself here http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets

Zorin and Linux Mint are the best distributions and even the best OSes in the world, but i still think they can do much better :D Zorin has to be more pragmatic when it comes to software. Be sure that most zorin users, the first thing they will do after installation is to install vlc :lol:

and BTW where is the computer icon on the desktop??? :D

There are lots of great things about Zorin os 8. I really love the new splash screen and the new black theme amazing but i still insist that Zorin's splash should be like this http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6039. Zorin 7 +8 splash screen have great colours but they are more like wallpapers (very static). Colour have a psychological effect on the users and the bootsplash if the first imression a user gets on the OS :D

gorin002

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:17:02 pm

zorin OS 8 on a samsung NC 10

zorin 0s 6 ulimate edition was a bit slow
7.1 run faster wich edition don t know
08 runs bit faster.
on this old machine

Wolfman

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:37:06 am

Hi all,

with reference to the comments about Cinnamon DE and Mate DE, I think some of you are missing the point of the way Zorin looks, its intention is to look like Windows so people can feel comfortable with it when changing from Windows, if the devs start making a DE that looks completely different from the way it does now, they might as well just use the Mint or Ubuntu DE's and not bother developing anymore!.

Just my opinion. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anonymous

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:57:00 pm

Hi All

Using the Mate Desktop wouldn't change anything with the idea behiind Zorin OS > Windows 7 migration to Linux... it would actually be closer. The Gnomenu... now Zorin Menu is the heart of the whole project. You take that away from Zorin OS, and the idea behind everything is shot out the window. Datek proved his point over a 1 1/2 ago making Zorin OS work with the Mate Desktop > Gnomenu without changing the look and feel.. End of that story. Wolfman did have one thing right, Zorin Group is not Linux Mint, therefore they need not connect themselves to that project in anyway possible...if they can avoid it. :D :D

Anonymous

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55:09 pm

More >>>> Zorin Menu Themes > Here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6149

BubbaBlues

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:29:43 pm

I installed it and after adding or replacing a few favorite apps, It looks and acts great so far. Good job as always guys. :D

madvinegar

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28:24 am

BubbaBlues wrote:I installed it and after adding or replacing a few favorite apps, It looks and acts great so far. Good job as always guys. :D

Looks great! You just need to fix the right side of the awn bar that has white colour.

BubbaBlues

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51:10 am

madvinegar wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:I installed it and after adding or replacing a few favorite apps, It looks and acts great so far. Good job as always guys. :D

Looks great! You just need to fix the right side of the awn bar that has white colour.

I would do just that if I knew how. :)

BubbaBlues

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:04:06 am

Well since I don't care for black windows I'll settle for grey.

gmc85

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57:13 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi all,

with reference to the comments about Cinnamon DE and Mate DE, I think some of you are missing the point of the way Zorin looks, its intention is to look like Windows so people can feel comfortable with it when changing from Windows, if the devs start making a DE that looks completely different from the way it does now, they might as well just use the Mint or Ubuntu DE's and not bother developing anymore!.

Just my opinion. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi all
yeah I made a winxp-like theme for cinnamon http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mint-XP+%28GTK3%2C+GTK2+%26+metacity+pack%29?content=162905

Myth busted :)

Cheers

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:52:06 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:Well since I don't care for black windows I'll settle for grey.

Hi BubbaBlues,

No need for that - just right click the AWN Panel and select 'Properties'/'Edit Panel' (been awhile!) and go to the Applets tab - go down to the bottom panel which represents your current panel - remove 'indicator applet 3' and replace with the individual icons from the available applets:

http://vimeo.com/78665951

This video was for a different purpose - no background on AWN at all! :D

BubbaBlues

Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:Well since I don't care for black windows I'll settle for grey.

Hi BubbaBlues,

No need for that - just right click the AWN Panel and select 'Properties'/'Edit Panel' (been awhile!) and go to the Applets tab - go down to the bottom panel which represents your current panel - remove 'indicator applet 3' and replace with the individual icons from the available applets:

http://vimeo.com/78665951

This video was for a different purpose - no background on AWN at all! :D

That doesn't work on this version because there isn't anything available in the apps to replace the indicator 3 applet with. It's cool though, I like the grey fine. :D

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09:45 am

Howdy BB Just in case ya didn't know or maybe forgot.
I have most of the panel themes... to match the rest already made for everyone.
It's Dateks old section...I just keep things up and add to it occasionally.
The link below is pretty self explanitory on how.
Just in case.. go the the panel itself right click on preferences > themes > install.
Then it will direct you to pick from where ever you have the themes stored.
Pick > activate the theme of interest within the panel for it to work with the rest.
Sometimes you have to log-out then log-in to make everything complete !!!!

Link > Awn Panel Themes : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4870

Added for ya just in case !!!! :D :D

Removing Indicator 3 applet : [ Just drag it back over to the other window in the applet menu just like in the screenshot below ]
Do just the opposite...to add applets of your choice.

PhutureX

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28:34 am

can anyone tell me how to get my volume keys working? FN+the up or down they worked in Zorin 7... i know this is a RC of 8 but i was just wondering...

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:09:56 am

PhutureX wrote:can anyone tell me how to get my volume keys working? FN+the up or down they worked in Zorin 7... i know this is a RC of 8 but i was just wondering...

Next time you have a question...I'd leave it in the Help & Support or Installation Section.
Sometimes the right people for the answer might bypass this thread until a way later time.
I hate to seeya waiting any longer than you have to.
I would help ya myself, but I don't have a good answer for you.
Check back in a couple of hours.
Gizzy

BubbaBlues

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11:19 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Howdy BB Just in case ya didn't know or maybe forgot.
I have most of the panel themes... to match the rest already made for everyone.
It's Dateks old section...I just keep things up and add to it occasionally.
The link below is pretty self explanitory on how.
Just in case.. go the the panel itself right click on preferences > themes > install.
Then it will direct you to pick from where ever you have the themes stored.
Pick > activate the theme of interest within the panel for it to work with the rest.
Sometimes you have to log-out then log-in to make everything complete !!!!

Link > Awn Panel Themes : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4870

Added for ya just in case !!!! :D :D

Removing Indicator 3 applet : [ Just drag it back over to the other window in the applet menu just like in the screenshot below ]
Do just the opposite...to add applets of your choice.

I know how to take out the indicator applet. I've been using Awn settings for years. I'm saying you take it out and you have no system tray. No clock, no sound icon, no network icon... There is nothing in the applets list to replace it. Nothing in the repo either.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:32:59 pm

PhutureX wrote:can anyone tell me how to get my volume keys working? FN+the up or down they worked in Zorin 7... i know this is a RC of 8 but i was just wondering...

Hi,

another bug in Ubuntu 13.10 I'm afraid to say, it affects my laptop and my multimedia keyboard too!.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1233508

PhutureX

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:30:27 pm

thanks for the info yall... hopefully they'll get it to work i love this distro

PhutureX

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50:13 pm

randomly just started working.... love this distro yet again...

Anonymous

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58:29 am

Burgan Red Menu @ Zorin OS 8 Menu Section
A Burgan Red GTK-3 Theme is in the making !!!!

BubbaBlues

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:59:14 am

Very nice Gizmuntu.

Anonymous

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:01:53 pm

Screenshot_1123.png
At least I know that Mate 1.6 works !!!!
Secondly.. the good thing...is.....that those who cherish their old GTK-2 Themes..... they can add the Mate desktop to Zoris OS 8 !!!!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08:22 pm

Great work Gizmuntu - loving the blue frosted desktop! :D

Contra

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10:49 am

Gizmuntu wrote:

Next time you have a question...I'd leave it in the Help & Support or Installation Section.
Sometimes the right people for the answer might bypass this thread until a way later time.
I hate to seeya waiting any longer than you have to.
I would help ya myself, but I don't have a good answer for you.
Check back in a couple of hours.
Gizzy

go to settings in your start menu and click on the keyboard Icon
from there it will allow you to re assign the keys easy enough

it is under the shortcuts section

Wolfman

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:42:43 am

Wolfman wrote:

Hi,

another bug in Ubuntu 13.10 I'm afraid to say, it affects my laptop and my multimedia keyboard too!.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1233508

Hi,

my keys are working in Zorin 8 Core now!.

PhutureX

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01:52 am

got the volume keys working fine but been having trouble when hitting the power button most of the time it doesnt do anything other times it'll ask if i wanna shut down, restart... i dont know whats going on...

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:04:07 pm

Have you followed Wolfman's excellent post-installation guide?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

Wolfman

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:29:19 pm

PhutureX wrote:got the volume keys working fine but been having trouble when hitting the power button most of the time it doesnt do anything other times it'll ask if i wanna shut down, restart... i dont know whats going on...

Hi,

under normal circumstances, you shouldn't touch the power button but use the normal menu in the bottom right corner, that is assuming you have the Win 7 look, if you touch the power button, it might want to suspend or hibernate but I cannot be sure as I cannot find any info or any setting in System Settings for it.

Ctrl + Alt + Del will bring up the logout menu but if you want to shut down, use the button on the bottom right or the one in the main menu.

If you have to press the power button to switch off for whatever reason, make sure you press it and hold it in until the PC shuts down BUT ONLY DO THIS IN EMERGENCIES IF YOU HAVE TO!. This is known as "Soft Power Down".

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:24:24 pm

Hi Wolfman, I misread that - I thought he meant the power button on the menu! :oops: :lol:

PhutureX

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:56:49 am

before i could just hit the power button and the same menu as if i were to click in the main "start" menu... it works sometimes but i'm not worried bout it i can just take the extra step and go to the menu...

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:24:51 am

PhutureX wrote:before i could just hit the power button and the same menu as if i were to click in the main "start" menu... it works sometimes but i'm not worried bout it i can just take the extra step and go to the menu...

Hi,

try this terminal command and see if things improve:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f