This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Aero view in Zorin?

mdiemer

Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:24:41 am

One of the (few) things I miss about Windows 7 is the aero view. I see there is an OS called Makalu LInux, which has aero. Anyone thinking of bringing this feature to Zorin? Many people love it. There is already a touch of it in the toolbar. It would be another draw for people disillusioned with Windows.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:52:23 am

Hi, the only Aero View in Zorin is the 'window switcher':

http://zorinos.com/images/screenshots/10/Switcher.png

Makulu Linux uses Cinammon - you can add this yourself via synaptic package manager - just click on the 'Z' logo next to your login details in the Login box to change to the new DE:

download/file.php?id=4371&mode=view

mdiemer

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:13:04 am

Thanks Swarf. I got as far as installing a bunch of things with the SPM (various kinds of muffins etc), but when I restarted and looked for the new Cinnamon DE, all I saw were Zorin and Gnome DE's. No Cinnamon listed. Where am I going wrong?

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:38:35 am

Are you set to 'Main Server' for your updates and software downloads? It should be in there somewhere - try updating your system first then go to the repositories again via synaptic and if it is showing up, mark for reinstallation and see what happens then. :D

mdiemer

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:19:47 pm

Thanks Swarf for the help. I'm not sure what you mean by "setting it to the main server." However I did an update via system tools. I then went back to SPM and again did search on Cinnamon. A bunch of things came up (I'm assuming this is what is meant by repositories?). They were already installed, and I think they are what I did last night. I then reinstalled all of them, which went fine. But still no Cinnamon in the DE choices at log-in. Just two Zorin choices, and two Gnome choices. I've done some internet searches on this. Nothing comes up specifically for putting Cinnamon on Zorin, but lots of things do for Ubuntu. Would that work for Zorin? I don't want to try something that might mess things up.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:30:17 pm

Hi, I will need to look at this again as I overwrote my Zorin 10 install with an updated version of insider th2 release of Win 10 pro so I could see if everything transferred ok (data wise) and it didn't, so that I could get Zorin on the disc with the old version of th2! Bear with! ;) :D

mdiemer

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:56:41 pm

Yikes! Sounds like you got your hands full. No rush, I'll see what I can come up with.

mdiemer

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:47:42 pm

I will try putting Cinnamon on my Ubuntu partition, which is on another drive. I downloaded Mint Cinnamon, ran it from the CD, just to get an idea of what it's like. I had Mint Mate a couple years ago. Have to say I was not that impressed. I have been checking out Makulu Aero, but it seems like it's not quite there yet. So I'll put Cinnamon on Ubuntu, get rid of the Unity DE. Eventually, if I like it, I may put it on Zorin. If Zorin ever got the Aero view, that would be Heaven!

mdiemer

Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:16:23 am

So I installed Cinnamon on my Ubuntu partition. Whoa. It took my breath away. With some gorgeous nature wallpapers, the aero effect blows windows away. I have it set up with the Windows 7 Aero theme. Not sure if I will put Cinnamon on Zorin. Part of me just wants to let Zorin be Zorin. But I really prefer Zorin, so if I find I'm spending more time on Ubuntu because of the aero effect, I'll have to do it. If I can figure out how. No kidding, this DE is just stunning. I had no idea it was this good. They have created a masterpiece with Cinnamon, in my opinion.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49:39 pm

Cinammon DE was/is developed by Linux Mint - and you should find that the left Windows key launches the Menu. If you edit 'themes' on the Panel you can add them from the internet like this:

download/file.php?id=4369&mode=view

Please note that I created that 'Z' logo from the official one and replaced the standard logo. ;) :D

mdiemer

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14:03 pm

I like that XP thing you did there, Swarf. I was never a big XP user, because I only used it at work. At home, I started with W95, upgraded to W98, then got a new machine with Vista, which I upgraded to W7. But I always did like the simple clarity of the XP look. I also like the colors - that was a great shade of blue. It's great that Cinnamon gives you both the XP and W7 look. One thing that impressed me with Makulu is that Jacques gives you the option of Vista icons. I still think Vista was the most beautiful OS. But I'm staying away from Makulu until it is has a more proven track record.

I am now considering whether to keep Ubuntu with Cinnamon DE, or install Mint Cinnamon itself on that partition. I have not forgotten what you said here (I think it was you) about Ubuntu tracking you. Does that continue to happen even with the Cinn. DE? I am seeing lots of ads obviously tailored to me, but they could be residual "damage" from the Unity DE. I must say though, Ubuntu with Cinn. DE is very powerful. But through it all, I keep returning to Zorin (on it now). There is something about this OS that feels like home. Maybe it's because it does keep things simple. And by the way, you also have the best forum. The look is great, and so is the help.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:41:54 pm

Hi, The XP theme I downloaded - there is an option in Cinammon to download extra themes - I took a wallpaper from Makulu (ala Vista type) on another screenshot on here somewhere with black Aero Panel. You should read the issue on Privacy which I can't remember if GEWB had in Zorin 9 manual - I know there were some privacy issues with Zorin 6.

As for Makulu 10 "Aero" LTS - yes the Vista icons were quite pretty but I preferred the XP look and the nice Luna contrast for the windows. Are you using 10 or 9 in respect of Zorin? ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:58:00 pm

[UPDATE]!!!

Take a look at this - A Zorin theme for Cinammon (with a wallpaper [ http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=154929 ] from moi to keep it 'themed' ;) :D :

53.jpg

See my 'How to' on Cinammon into Zorini 9 32-bit here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795#p48996