This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Welcome Screen App

abbreviatedman

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09:26 pm

Since Zorin is so beginner-friendly (I'm recommending it to my web development students!), I'd love to see it further that by having a welcome screen. Is this something that's being worked on? I don't have a ton of extra time (toddlers, man... toddlers!), but I'd love to be involved with the coding, design, and writing.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57:15 am

Hi, I did ask for this last year after trying FerenOS - it is sorely needed and the current one is buried and relates to traditional Gnome desktop - not enamoring of the default desktop! ;)

sunshine999

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:17:50 am

Yes I agree. I came to Zorin from Mint & althought I prefer Zorin much better, Mint does have a welcome box which tell them how to get started. Also I note that Zorin does not have Timeshift which I feel is really helpfull.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25:42 am

I included Timeshift as a must have app in the unofficial manual - with a host of other advisories, like, Synaptic Package Manager (but Zorin Grid would prevent users from installing stuff you did not want on there!). One desktop environment that should be avoided at all costs is Wayland - the apps designed for it are not much better either. (For individuals needing special packages (like me to get my Audigy RX SoundBlaster card working) Synaptic will not run on Wayland. You have been warned! ;) :D

sunshine999

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31:04 am

Yes I remember reading the manual and it did say about Timeshift. I come from a tech background, mainly user support and am always looking for ways to make things earier and streamlined for people to use.

Also I am interested to an extent at getting involved with the Terminal but really I just want things to work and I can be productive. This is why I like Zorin and what kept me with Linux & will keep me with Linux. Really don't want to have to use Microsoft or Apple ever again if I can help it, on my own machines that is.