This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZORIN OS 5 RC Release notes!

Mr.Big

Thu May 19, 2011 3:34:00 pm

please, we need a proper release note of zorin os 5 to KNOW what has changed, otherwise users will blindly test the RC release without knowing what needs to be tested...just a vague blog post is not enough to proper testing.

and some screenshots would be nice

a word of advice, zorin team REALLY needs to work on its community, a linux distro without its community is nothing

Hawkeye

Tue May 24, 2011 4:06:47 pm

Mr. Big,

FWIW, the homepage presents a 'world class distribution', but the forum and support newbies should be getting on it is unfinished, unresponsive, and second class at best. As someone taking a serious look at this distro, looking to change at least one of my computers to another distro, it appears that this is either 1> a hobby for whoever runs it, or 2> run by people who are far more interested in the technical aspects than in the people aspect of management. Either case is almost surely fatal.

For all those who want to 'pile on' for these negative comments, and castigate me, or suggest I 'pitch in and help'. Please save it. I am a linux user, not a linux doer, and if anyone knows the fairy tale of 'the emperor's new clothes', I am just the idiot who has pointed out that the emperor is naked...

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Tue May 24, 2011 9:55:39 pm

swarfendor437,

You are the last person I would want to have their feelings hurt over my comments. As I browse the forum sub titles, you are the only active (non-Zorin) moderator trying to help members and possible members! And doing a magnificent job, BTW!

I wish I were actually more able to help, personally, because I think this distribution has some outstanding potential. There is just no real technical expertise in my background/experience to help fellow users :oops: . My response to Mr. Big's post was actually intended to be helpful, not sarcastic or mean. It's just that there are some serious things lacking on the people side of this.

We are in complete agreement regarding the necessity of having high technical quality, but that is just the front end of any enterprise -- there has to be support of equal quality. If not, there will be a constant churning of interest, users in, users out; until a bad reputation stops people coming... :(

Long story short, I just wish the Zorin brothers could clone you about 8 times over, and give you some authority and direct access to them. If something like that were already in place, my original reply to Mr. Big would never have been made.

BTW, who are asakpke and rmockler? I haven't seen any indication that they are helping you manage this forum. Just saying...

Hawkeye