This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Odd problem with chrome

pantabulosin

Thu May 19, 2011 7:31:23 am

Hi, I was trying Zorin 5 RC and I noticed that chrome doesn't launch via normal means (i. e. clicking on the pinned icon on the taskbar, clicking on browse the internet) . I ended up opening it using alt+F2, but I thought I should point that out. I am working on a live session if that makes any difference. I will keep testing the release candidate and report whatever I find here.

On a more positive note, the web browser was super fast compared to FF4, chromium and opera on this same computer using Ubuntu 10.04. I don't know if it's Chrome or the Zorin team behind this but that was impressive nonetheless.

craig10x

Thu May 19, 2011 1:44:00 pm

I noticed that too when running the live dvd of the Zorin 5 release candidate...Like you, when i click the Chrome Icon on the tray it did not open...i had to instead click the chrome icon in the menu itself....

I've been using Chrome for quite some time, and previously used Firefox...I have always found Chrome to be faster and also i think it renders web pages much nicer too...it has since become my favorite browser...

craig10x

Thu May 19, 2011 8:23:08 pm

sounds good to me :D

Hawkeye

Fri May 20, 2011 2:07:46 am

Not meaning to 'jump' your original post, but I also found a problem with Chrome will running the Live DVD. I launch the browser (from the menu -- couldn't launch from the panel icon), and then tried to go to the Zorin website. When I did, Chrome notified me that it couldn't take me there because the website's monthly bandwidth had been exceeded. This was curious, because I had just been there before running the Live DVD, so I logged out and went back to my hard drive installed version of Linux Mint, running Firefox, and immediately went to the Zorin website without any problem.

It was a curious problem, that seems to be browser related, not website related and I felt you should know about it. BTW, shouldn't a thread be established to handle Zorin 5 RC questions and problems?

Again, sorry for 'thread jumping'. Thanks for listening.

Hawkeye

pantabulosin

Fri May 20, 2011 2:21:43 am

It's cool, I guess this could be a good place to write all the problems related to chrome. I'lll get started.

I was trying different websites to try to check how the experience was and I noticed that Chrome fails to recognize a few links. So far I've had problems in a survey made using google docs, some links in hulu (like the restore to fullscreen one at the end of every show and the submit button in one of their survey questions). I've also had some problems choosing where to highlight text with the mouse. Basically, I'd be writing something and want to edit part of the text, and I would only be able to move to the section I wanted to edit with the cursor. I guess it would be clearer if I said it like "the pointer doesn't transform into an I when on top of text to signal that I can write there after clicking". I don't know if this is a matter of the chrome build that is being used or something, but I thought you guys should know

zorink

Sat May 21, 2011 3:10:49 pm

The issue with chrome not launching will be fixed in the final version. Currently you can get it to work by right clicking the icon in the taskbar and selecting unpin application. Then open google chrome from the start menu, right click on the icon in the taskbar and select pin application.

The zorin-os.webs.com site was down for a view days as the bandwidth was exceeded, the problem was not because of the Live DVD. There may have been a cached copy of the website in Firefox which explains why it was working. zorin-os.webs.com is our old website and it is not updated anymore. The new website is zorin-os.com

Best Regards,
Zorink

craig10x

Sat May 21, 2011 4:37:46 pm

Thanks Zorink...There is also a problem with the "screensaver" not kicking in....I set one of the screensavers to come on in 15 min and at that time the screen darkened but then instead of going to the screensaver it went back to the normal display...I e-mailed you about this also...
Just wanted to let you know...