This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Making taskbar/panel transparent on Zorin OS/Ubuntu/Linux

asakpke

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:04:09 am

It is very simple & looks elegant indeed.

Following are the steps on Zorin OS (I have tested on version 4 & 5, I hope it is correct for other versions)

Step 1
Right click on the panel at bottom & select 'Properties'
Click 'Background' tab
Select solid color
Change the style to select transparency as required

Step 2
Right click on the Desktop empty area & select 'Change Desktop Background'
Click 'Theme' tab
Click 'Customize'
Select 'Controls' tab
Click 'Zorin OS Mac'

Enjoy transparency :)

Source: My Blog http://asakpke.blogspot.com/2012/06/making-taskbarpanel-transparent-on.html

Wolfman

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:27:38 am

Hi Aamir,

thanks for the tip :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49:23 am

Unfortunately it does not work for me on Zorin 5.2 core.

After step1, only half of my panel bar was transparent. The right side which has all the indicators (wifi, clock etc.) was still not transparent.
Proceeded to step2, changed the theme to Zorin OS MAC, but I have not noticed any change.

I loged out and login again, and when I returned to the desktop all the bar was transparent but also all the indicators were missing. Also, an error message was waiting for me that the panel has not been loaded correctly and i had to choose between delete and reload. I clicked on reload, the indicators appeared again but the bar was again non-transparent in the right half.

So I changed everything back to the default settings.

Does this only work in Zorin 5 ultimate?

asakpke

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20:11 pm

@madvinegar
It did worked on Zorin OS 4/5 Ultimate edition. But I think ultimate edition does not matters. Did you tried other option with the same result in last item 2nd step i.e 'Zorin OS Mac'?

madvinegar

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:33:50 am

I asked if this only works in zorin 5 ultimate because the MAC look is only included in ultimate editions.

asakpke

Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:05:06 am

@madvinegar yes :(

blfriis

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:21:05 pm

You can also point you mouse at the panel or any window, then push the Alt and use your scrolwheel.

blfriis

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37:34 am

bilfirs - is this the correct reply? The thread was about making the panel transparent, not about how to use compiz cube / move to new dekstops!

Maybe not the best solution, but you can make the panel transparent that way.It doesn't move you to another desktop.

Before Alt+ scrollwheel
after

I know its done by using compiz and maybe not the right way to do it but if you can't change it by the awn settings you can try this way. ;)

blfriis

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07:51 pm

:D I have never doubted your skills or your guides.And remenber you can do it anywhere here's a pic of my terminal.