This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

wifi detected but can't connect to the internet

RavenGirl51

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39:32 am

Hello. I'm running dual boot Zorin and Windows 7 on an HP Pavillion dv6000. My problem is basically what the title post says. I can detect my wireless router (and that of my neighbors, the network at college, etc) but I can't connect.

When I scan for networks, it detects my network. When I select it, it says that I'm "connected", yet I can't connect to the internet with Chrome or Firefox or synaptic repos or anything.

Suggestions?

maxmm5

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:30:03 pm

Hi RavenGirl51, Welcome...it seems that your firewall is blocking your connection, try to configure it out on Control Center/Firewall Configuration.Here is the step by step procedure; Click Control Center, then Firewall Configuration, from the Firewall window, click the button "Unlock" and give your password, see if the firewall is active and what was in the rules, if there is, you can remove it by clinking the appropriate button and start from zero. then be sure the "Incoming" is set to "Deny", then hit the +Add button. From the "Firewall:Add Rule" window be sure that the Preconfigured was selected and all the criteria shown on the preview below was selected (this is my firewall configuration) and finally hit +Add. Thanks.

Linx

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53:03 pm

there is alot that can cause internet connectivity issues, firewall is one of the most common.

first thing is first ... we have to find out where the issue is.

open up terminal and type

ifconfig
ping 127.0.0.1
ping 74.125.45.99
nslookup google.com
ping google.com

find out what interface our using and the IP address that you have for each one ... IF your able to ping 74.125.45.99 and your not able to ping google.com, or get a dns lookup from google.com, then it is DNS, if your able to ping and able resolve hostnames, then it would look like a firewall issue.

run those commands and see if your able to copy that to us =]

RavenGirl51

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19:45 pm

Sorry that I did not respond earlier (school is starting in two weeks and work is crazy and I'm busybusybusy)

I did also check it out on another thread and solved it, tho the solution leaves it a bit weird. When you open up the network manager and edit the connection, on the first tab, you can choose either 'infrastructure' or 'Adhoc' for the mode (just under SSID). Apparently, infrastructure is supposed to be the default (?) but it was set to adhoc, for some reason.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will keep those in mind in case it happens again. I'm getting to like Zorin more and more (I've been a distro hopper for a long time) and I've turned on four or five friends to it already.

:)

Once I switched it back to infrastructure, it works fine now, with the exception that the first time I boot up the computer, it will not connect, even tho it says it's connected. But if I click on the wireless icon, it 'cycles' the connection (I'm guessing here) and it connects fine after that.

Linx

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22:27 am

that is interesting, but it makes since, I will keep it in mind for the future =]