This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install printer canon into zorin OS? Dis

angversen

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:52:24 am

sorry before, i wanna ask about installing printer in linux
how to install printer canon 1980 or 1880 into zorin OS??
thank you!!!

Wolfman

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:08:17 pm

Hi, angversen,

I assume that you mean the Canon IP 1900 series??.

Please always state model and make exactly so it helps others to help you!!.

Look here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer ... e=download

Regards Wolfman

angversen

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47:04 am

yes, i wanna install canon ip 1900 in my zorin os 5. i'm so confuses. Can u tell step by step how to install??
i'm just using linux OS for the first time so that i cannot install the printer correctly.
many articel that i've read but i also cannot install the printer.
thank you wolfman.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55:20 am

Hi,

you need to click on the link that I provided and scroll down to the bottom and agree to the terms, then download the file.

1. create a folder in your home folder and call it canon-drivers
2. copy the downloaded file to that new folder
3. right click and extract here
4. open the newly extracted folder "ip1900 debian printer
5. there are 2 files (both deb) which you need to install using the software manager (the other file you can ignore)
6. this is only for 32 Bit PC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is not for 64 Bit systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Hope it works for you.

Regards Wolfman:)

angversen

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29:45 am

i've already tested install the both of files that (*.deb) using 'ubuntu software center' but it comes error "Failed to satisfy all dependencies (broken cache)".
any solution mr. wolfman???
thanks a lot (:

Wolfman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06:41 am

Hi,

sounds like you have may have "broken packages", open > Synaptic > edit > fix broken packages and then close Synaptic (after successful repair!). Then try installing the packages again.

If fixing the broken packages doesn't work in Synaptic, restart PC and select recovery mode and then run dpkg from the list and see if that works!!. Then try installing the packages again, if you still get a message about dependencies, try making a note of them and search for them on the net!!. (deb packages only!)

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:08:05 pm

I just had a thought about the dependencies thing, install the packages "gdebi" and gdebi core, when you click on a package, select with a right mouse click "open with" and choose gdebi, this little baby has a good way of dealing with failing dependencies!!. It is far better (imo) than the Ubuntu software manager.

You can use Synaptic or the terminal, for the terminal copy and paste:

sudo apt-get install gdebi gdebi-core

Then put in your password when requested.

Hope this helps you further.

angversen

Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:46:23 am

i try to install gdebi in terminal using the comment that you sharre but it comes "Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cnijfilter-common : Depends: libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.1)
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution)."

so confusing.. what is the wrong Mr. wolfman??

Wolfman

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:13:27 am

Hi,

open Synaptic and change the download location for your packages, click on a new location then close everything but don't reload the list before you close.

Restart your PC and go to "recovery mode" and select "dpkg" from the list and it should sort out your dependencies problem that way.

Did you manage to install "gdebi" successfully or not??.

Once that is done and your PC restarts, try installing the packages with gdebi again!!.

angversen

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:15:29 am

my printer was installed.. i installed the gdebi and update my software and it works.. thank you wolfman.. (:

Wolfman

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:58:07 am

Glad to hear it angversen, I hope it will help others too.