This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No sound when using Skype

william

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:57:14 pm

I've been a loyal Zorin user for a couple of years and most of the problems I've had I eventually worked out myself but I can't seem to solve this one . My Acer One Aspire has Zorin installed on it and the sound will not work with Skype . I can use the sound recorder on the Zorin OS but not using Skype . It has Pulse Audio as my only sound option when I try to check for problems in the Skype console . I can hear everything from the speakers but the microphone will not cooperate . Can anyone help ? I really don't want to load a MS system just because of this glitch . ( Zorin works so much better ! ) Anyone out there have an easy solution ?

rscott4581

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:01:54 pm

Not just a problem with Zorin apparently, this has been an issue for a while with the Acers... http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=579521

amorlock

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23:06 pm

Try this....

1. Open pavucontrol (PulseAudio Volume Control) and change the settings on the input to 10 for the left speaker and 90 for the right. Make sure you uncheck the lock button prior to changing the settings.

2. Start Skype and initiate a test call (you can use echo123 Skype testing service).

3. In pavucontrol there is a tab called Recording where you can select the input device for the application Skype.

Note: Skype has to be running and Skype needs to use (i.e. make a call) Pulseaudio while you change settings with pavucontrol.

4. Change the setting from Monitor of internal Audio to Internal Audio.

Try the test call again and it should work (It worked for me). Took me a bit to figure it out. Good luck.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04:53 pm

Don't allow Skype to control volume settings; otherwise they change constantly!!.

Regards Wolfman:)