This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] UNABLE TO CONNECT WIRELESS INTERNET

NOOB2ZORIN

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51:18 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to Zorin. I just installed Zorin today. The installation went well but I was unable to connect to the internet through my wireless connection. All the wireless connections in my area are detected but every time I try to connect to mine it never works. My wireless adapter is as follows...Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter. I did a little research and found that I may need some sort of device driver but I'm not familiar with how all that stuff works. I browsed the product list for NDISWrapper and I didn't see my make and model anywhere. Any help or advice on any kind of solutions to my problem would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

NOOB2ZORIN

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:11:07 pm

For starters I have a SONY VAIO Laptop model #-VGN-NW204F on the bottom of laptop it says model # is PCG-7184L. Not sure which one to go by. The first one is on top above keyboard. When I installed Zorin os I chose the option to delete windows and install Zorin. that may give you some info on the partitions. Let me know if I still need to download gparted please.

NOOB2ZORIN

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40:13 pm

Here are some specs for laptop
Screen: 15.5" (1366 x 768)
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.1 GHz
Cache: 1 MB L2
Memory: 4GB PC2-6400 SDRAM
Hard drive: 250GB Serial ATA
Optical drive: CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW/DL-DVDRW
Graphics card: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD w/Clear Video (1759MB shared)
Webcam: Built-in
Networking: 10/100/1000base-tx gigabit ethernet intel wifi (802.11b/g/n)
Ports/slots: USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Headphones, SD Secure Digital slot , Memory Stick sl, ExpressCard/34 slot
Audio: Intel High Definition Audio
Speakers: Built-in stereo
Mouse/pointer: Electro-Static touch pad
Keyboard: QWERTY, 86 keys with 2.0mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Product dimensions: 14.6" x 1.2" x 9.8"
Weight: 6.0 lbs

Wolfman

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56:30 am

Hi and welcome,

did you try out your wireless connection using the live CD and did it work, just as a test; put the live CD in and boot from that and see if it works, if it does, we will know that your card is okay and we can look elsewhere for the problem.

For Atheros drivers for Ubuntu:

http://linuxplained.com/how-to-fix-athe ... untu-1104/

Not sure how well versed you are with the command line but it is fairly straightforward.

Regards Wolfman :)

madvinegar

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57:48 am

Could you please post back the result of the following 4 commands so as to get some info about your wireless card?

lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

NOOB2ZORIN

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:27:55 pm

Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys. I ended up resolving the problem. I Installed Zorin OS through the boot menu using a usb flash drive. Everything went well but I did skip the part of the installation where I can establish internet connection because I figured I would do that later. Of course when I attempted it later it wouldn't work even though it seemed to be sensing all the networks in the area. After searching online with another computer to find a solution and having no luck I got the idea to reinstall Zorin and enter my wep key during the installation process and for some reason it worked like a charm. Hopefully this might help other users! I still don't understand why it would work during the installation and not later once I was on my desktop. I know for a fact that I was using the right wep key both times because the connect button won't highlight so you can push it unless you input the right wep key.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:05:03 am

Hi,

always select "Install third party Software" at the installer menu and always make sure that you have a working internet connection during the install process and that "Install Updates" is also marked!!.

NOOB2ZORIN

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55:01 pm

Where exactly is that option located? I chose the "Start the Installer Directly" option.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:58:10 am

Hi,

that option is in the window just after the welcome screen where you select your prefered language, another important window is "Installation Type" which is where you are asked how you want to install Linux, you can erase disk or replace or do "Something Else" which is what i always do so I have complete control over the installation process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9Wv-XU_4M