This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why not more individual Zorin?

lorian

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:26:00 am

Recently. I've installed the Zorin 6.2 and here is my experience:

1. The plymouth is not eye-friendly, I'm speaking about that two rotary circles!
2. The installer icon (on live desktop) is not related to Zorin. It's an Ubuntu icon!
3. The theme is not unique. I think emerald can bring a better theme:
Code:
sudo apt-get install apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emerald
compizconfig-setting-manager > Windows Decoration > Command = emerald ; decoration windows = any ; shadow windows = any
However, There are many beter themes of Ubuntu default theme which you could use.
4. Indicater-3 is not syncoronized with awn theme!
5. There is NOT a good selection of wallpapers. Several items should be included: 1. The main background (there is) 2. Nature (there is but they are not great) 3. Abstract & Art (there is not) as in: http://www.vladstudio.com/wallpapers/
6. check the output of `uname -a`, Ubuntu is in the output!
7. It's better to rename some default software and change thier icons with clear icons that is better for new user that comes from Microsoft village. for example: Thunderbird -> Mails, etc. As you know, Gnome has changed the name 'Nautilus' to "Files". Debian uses its fork of mozilla productions with new names: ice*

In general, Zorin has failed to present a totally different experience with Ubuntu. It needs to be more customized.

madvinegar

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:29:58 am

Try Zorin7. Not ready 100% yet (still an RC) but you will get the idea. Much more unique and with uniformity.
Better plymouth, better icon.

lsb_release -a gives "zorin 7 OS"... :D

See my pics here (2nd post): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4631