This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install Ubuntu/Zorin despite "Installer Has Crashed Message"

Wolfman

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:10:27 pm

Hi all,

this is a quick guide for all the new people that wish to use Zorin OS and had/may have a problem with the installer crashing!. This method can be used on any Debian based system.

So, you have downloaded your ISO file which you burnt to a disk at the "SLOWEST POSSIBLE SPEED". You did didn't you??. (USB installers can ignore the ISO burn speed part!)

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, I recommend that you select the 2nd option in the boot menu "Boot in safe mode" which will load the OS without stressing out your graphics card, ATI owners can do this too but I found it wasn't necessary. My first attempt on my Nvidia rig froze and I had to press Ctrl + Alt + F2 followed by Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart!.
If it still won't boot, when the installer window shows up after rebooting, check that the highlighter is on the very first menu entry and press the "Tab" key and then type "nomodeset" and press enter again. (DVD install only as this didn't work on my USB installer!!)

You then installed said operating system and got the message at the end "Sorry but the installer has crashed, consider sending a bug report" etc etc, despite this message; all is not lost.

Now follow these steps and you should have a working system no problem.

1: Close the message.

2: Shutdown your PC. (Don't restart just yet!)

3: Remove boot media = disk/USB stick.

4: Restart your PC and select the 2nd line in the boot menu options list, then select the 2nd line again which ends with "Recovery Mode" which will take you to the recovery menu; then select the option "Network" and make sure you have a network cable inserted, don't try it with a WiFi connection as it gets very complicated!!. Once the network has been established, click on the option "Dpkg" and let it do its thing, if it asks to replace files with options like "y/n/d" or whatever; always say (y) yes!!.
The screen may go blank during the update process, just press the spacebar and the screen will come back to life!.

Once it is finished; do not click on "Resume" (which I cannot stress enough!!) but restart your PC with "Ctrl + Alt + Del" and start as normal.

(Attention!. People who have wiped their hard drives clean and only have Zorin OS installed will not see a menu unless they press the "Esc" key which needs to be done quickly!!!!.)

The following messages may show up:

Grub loading stage1.5

Grub loading, please wait...

Quickly press the Shift key or Escape (normally Esc!), which will bring up a boot menu. (If you see the Ubuntu/Zorin logo, you've missed the point where you can enter the GRUB menu)

Select the line ending with '(recovery mode)', probably the second line, something like:

Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic (recovery mode)

Thats it basically. You should now have a working system!!.

Another way is to simply click on the install button again and hope it finishes the install, this is a tip from forum member "blfriis" which he said works for him. :D

Any questions, please post them!.

Regards Wolfman :D

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Wolfman

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:51:06 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Footnote: I thought I had a bad download of Premium of 7 (64-bit) - the md5 sum did not match - but I started to burn the extracted image then a thought hit me - what if the md5 sum is for the 7-z file? Checked the 7-z file against the md5 sum and they match - so don't check the .iso against the md5 sum, but the zip file! :D

Hi Swarf,

that would only be people who have downloaded a zipped file (Ultimate/Multimedia editions etc!), normal ISO's should still match the md5 sum!!. (If you download an ISO from the normal Zorin download links, the files are not zipped!)

blfriis

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24:41 am

This evening I have been to a Linux meeting, we meet every second thursday. I talked to a Ubuntu user she told me that in Ubuntu the install crash sometimes happens in Ubuntu too.. I was told that I could start a live session and start gparted then format the partition where Zorin will be installed later, once or twice, then close gparted and click on the install icon. Then your install will probly succeed.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:07:00 pm

Wolfman wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Footnote: I thought I had a bad download of Premium of 7 (64-bit) - the md5 sum did not match - but I started to burn the extracted image then a thought hit me - what if the md5 sum is for the 7-z file? Checked the 7-z file against the md5 sum and they match - so don't check the .iso against the md5 sum, but the zip file! :D

Hi Swarf,

that would only be people who have downloaded a zipped file (Ultimate/Multimedia editions etc!), normal ISO's should still match the md5 sum!!. (If you download an ISO from the normal Zorin download links, the files are not zipped!)

Hi Wolfman, this was just advice for people who unpacked their Ultimate zip file and report back that the md5 sum does not match! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:09:17 pm

blfriis wrote:This evening I have been to a Linux meeting, we meet every second thursday. I talked to a Ubuntu user she told me that in Ubuntu the install crash sometimes happens in Ubuntu too.. I was told that I could start a live session and start gparted then format the partition where Zorin will be installed later, once or twice, then close gparted and click on the install icon. Then your install will probly succeed.

But before you can install you need to format the partitions and mark them appropriately - see my veoh.com video! :D

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:34:55 am

Good night

During the last couple of months managed to convert quite a few people to Zorin's greatness :) , most of the times installing the OS myself, a quick & so simple it even gets boring .

Today, i find myself in front of a completely new pc ( I5 4690 / Gigabyte H97 D3H MOBO / 16 gb ram / Crucial MX-100 SSD / no graphic card ... ) and found myself into this very same situation ( "installer has crashed" ) .

I always install from the same pendrive to avoid any issues, and today even dowloaded the Zorin 9.1 64 Core again to replace the previous .iso on the bootable usb ... but it's always the same error.

Tried doing what blfriis mentioned here :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6281

... that is, installing again after the first crash message; problem is, i don't get to see any "install" icon on the desktop after that even, so i have to start over.

At this very moment, think i tried to install Zorin 9.1 Core 64 more than a dozen times; even burned a dvd-r but still the same issue.

Feels like the trouble comes when it's trying to install / configure GRUB .

I was about to try as Swarfendor suggests ( going live, then create partitions/ format/etc... then install ) ... but then... and just because, with no much logical basis... i went ahead and tried again to install from a pendrive.

Once again, got the usual "installation crash" message ... after some seconds the screen went dark so just clicked the reset button.

To my surprise.... Zorin is now working ! . This should be the end of the story, but to be honest... right now i'm not really sure if it's properly installed.

Is there any way to verify it ?
I'll need to lose some time installing & personalizing everything, and would rather be completely sure i can go ahead

Thanks in advance for your time

Wolfman

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:12:39 pm

Hi,

run this terminal comand (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if things run smoothly:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

and:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Let us know if this helps!. :D

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23:47 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

run this terminal comand (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if things run smoothly:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Done . Downloaded 3 mb of data... but nothing really changed .
did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

For the dvd-r i burned, yes, downloaded with firefox then burned at the lowest possible speed.
As for the pendrive, i used exactly the same i've been using on the last dozen of (successful ) instalations that are still working with no problems on other computers .

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Right now i'm going to try re-installing again, pre-partitioning / pre-formatting again as suggested , will go over this later.

and:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

It's a brand new computer that will be running only Zorin, everything will be formatted in ext4 . Didn't read the full thread now as i'm about to try re-installing again but that looks oriented to multi-OS systems ... or are you telling me to look at some specific part that might be of help ?

Let us know if this helps!. :D

As soon as i can ^__^ ( fingers crossed )

Maerskian

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:03:37 pm

Finally managed to do a clean Zorin installation following the advice from one user on another forum i can't remember now ( just found a piece of paper with that written on it, it was more than 1 year ago, true story ! ) , and it goes like this ( for a 256 gb SSD ) :

With the SSD completely new just run "Install Zorin" then check "something else" and :

- 2048 mb for Linux Swap ( Logical )
- 512 mb for Efi boot Primary
- around 56 gb for "/" root - ext4 - Primary
- The rest for "/home" - ext4 - Logical

This computer has 16 gb ram so, granted, 2gb for ram seems excessive ... but the thing is .... it finally worked !!!

Now everything was properly installed and finally i have my ease of mind, since other methods like installing 2 times in a row clearly installed an unstable system ( on my particular case )

So, this part was solved . Leaving this here as an alternative method for people going through some issues like this .

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:46:13 am

Hi Maerskian, Great Job! 120 blue jewels to you for sharing! :D

Just to add some other commands that might help in respect editing the boot command:

1. Apart from 'nomodeset' are the commands you could alos include:

'acpi=off''

'xforcevesa'

'nolapic'.

2. As a complete alternative, decalman's excellent 'text-install' guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810&hilit=text+based+install#p38810