This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

I've really messed things up....?

liviococcia

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:13:16 pm

Hello members
I was trying to add a Quicklaunch button to my taskbar of Qcalculator, and i just could not get it to be like all the others i.e Google chrome browser, Banshee, File manager, you know the way it's set in a rectangular button with a small blue light when you ran your mouse over them.

Anyway i removed the Qcalculator icon i'd created, and upon doing this somehow clicking 'remove' i lost all the other quicklaunch icons, how can i get them back, aarrrrg!!! please help?

While i was trying to sort that out, i went into 'Compizconfig settings manager' and change something i'm not sure what, but now i've lost the effect where closing a window would break it into 'blocks' and also the minimum/ maximizing effect like a genie out of a bottle.

Is there anyway to bring everything back as it was before trying to create the Qcalculator taskbar quicklaunch?

Any help would be really, really great!, thanks

kind regards
Livio

maxmm5

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:10:11 pm

Hi liviococcia, Welcome...Open the apps, then right click the icon that appear on the task bar and hit "Pin application", do all over again to all apps you want to be pin on the panel bar. To get back the exploding window, you must check the check box for the following "Animations" and "Animations Add-On" from CompizConfig.

maxmm5

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55:32 pm

You can even change the animations effect for opening, closing or maximizing window through "Simple Compizconfig", instead of exploding you can change it to airplane, fold, glide,flip, fade or even burn the window.

liviococcia

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21:07 pm

Thanks for your help maxmm5, but when i open an app no icon is appearing in the taskbar, also i tried the instructions regarding compizconfig settings but again even though i've checked the items it's not creating the effect, when i minimise a window or app, it just seems to disappear off the desktop, i can't explain it really

regards
livio

liviococcia

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20:41 pm

Thanks swarfendor437, that sorted the taskbar icon app issue out, i'm still struggling to get the default effects that Zorin core 5 ran with using compizconfig settings manager, i can't seem to get the effects below to stay or switch to them what am i doing wrong please?

Zorin default on my installation was...
Closing a window was - Explode
Minimising a window was - skew or genie effect (not sure)
Multi Desktop was - Cube which i could zoom in and out

I tried the Simple Compizconfig app, but i can't seem to get the effect to stay?, i'm missing something probably really simple

Any more great help would be really good, thanks everyone
regards

liviococcia

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:34:43 pm

Hello swarfendor437, hope you've got the answer, i'm still struggling to get anything out of Compizconfig manager, if i check say the 3D cube effect nothing happens, if i check for the Explode effect for closing a window nothing.

It's as if Compizconfig turned off in some way, and i can't find out how to turn it back on, and in the 'Simple compizconfig ,if i pick something on the animations tab like 'Explode' that works, but the 3D cube effect for multiple desktops i just can't get to work.

regards
Livio

liviococcia

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46:07 pm

Sorry for my slow reply swarfendor and thanks, I've manage to get Compizconfig to 'Explode' and 'Magic Lamp' my windows, what i can't get to work is 3D cube for multiple work-spaces, I've notice that in the 'General options' section of Compizconfig settings manager under the 'desktop size' tab the 'number of desktops' option is set to 1 i'm unable to increase it, even if i change the other sliders under 'Horizontal' or 'Vertical'.

So i think, i might not be getting the 3D cube because of this, i don't think it's my graphics drivers because they've not changed from when it was all working correctly, also i did check for any hardware upgrades and there were none, it seems as though something else is also turned off that allows 'multiple work spaces', I've looked at 'gconf-editor' but did not see anything i could change, there seemed to be an address reference to 'windows_manager' under applications i think under a 'gnome' folder, but couldn't find the app itself when i searched for it.

Again, any advice, as this is a Macbook (13inch screen Intel core) i would't even begin to know if there were any suitable Graphic card updates that are compatible, but do know it was all working prior to trying to add a simple 'Quicklauncher' of Qcalculator and then removing it, and inadvertently other things.

Help is appreciated from everyone.

regards

liviococcia

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42:40 pm

Hello, yes, i've got 'cube reflection and deformation', 'animation add-on' and 'rotate cube' are all checked, i can't find 'additional animations' in 'Compizconfig settings manager' unless i'm missing it,
regards

liviococcia

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49:04 pm

Just tried something, i added 'Windows switcher' to the taskbar and created 4 workspaces, nothing happened with regards my 3D cube problem, then i did some searching and found this...

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 65335.html

..and moved the slider for 'Horizontal' under the 'General options' 'Desktop size' to 4, made the 'Vertical' slider 1, and the 'Number of desktops' 1 (it still does not allow me to change it to anything other than 1).

I now have a 3D cube, but only by holding down 'ctrl'+'Alt' +right mouse button (Button1), so i did a little more hunting and found this....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1597687

...so after entering this... xev .... into a 'Terminal' window, another small window with a black box opened, if clicked with a mouse button it's number would be displayed in the open 'Terminal' window, it showed in was 'button 2' that i needed, on my mouse this is the middle wheel button.

Now i'd like to change the image that appears on the 3D cubes top and bottom face, and as usual it's not obvious to me so any help would be great!

Thanks swarfendor437 for all your help, it's something that you posted that prompted me to think again.

kind regards
Livio

liviococcia

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24:17 pm

I also managed to change the background, top and bottom face of the cube by following this.....

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/07/30/config ... mpiz-cube/

So i think i'm all sorted out now, what a learning curve that was not to mention all the help I've had from members, thanks again

regards