This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Attention all users who need Screenreader to work with Menu

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:35:04 pm

Hello fellow Zorin users! For those who need to have the screenreader working successfully in Zorin you need to have the 'Applications Menu' installed for AWN (Avant Window Navigator). The standard menus do not get announced beyond the fact that the 'Menu Frame' gets announced. It would be great if Zorin could create a distro like Trisquel 5.5 which gives the 'Universal Access' option at the top of the boot list, with Applications Menu running by default.

I will edit this post in a while as I am in Cairo-Dock DE at present - no AWN present! :D

OK, uploaded a video to show what to do so sighted helpers can help those who have little or no sight! :D

https://vimeo.com/86182512

Being processed as I write this - takes 45 minutes (uploaded at 13:26 hrs GMT.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:32:05 pm

OK, having investigated furher, I would not recommend Zorin 8 with its screenreader as it currently is, and if this is how it works in Ubuntu 13.10 I would advise against use of that system also. Basically, it looks like Canonical have 'buried' Orca - you cannot set up 'Character and Word' settings or 'verbose' settings, or exceptions like you can in Orca - for example - 'Siobahn' would have the exception of being read as 'Shivorn' so the phonetic exception would be spoken wherever 'Siobahn' occurs in a document or web page. I will go back to 6 at some point and see how that fairs. In the meantime I would highly recommend Trisquel for Assistive Technology for configuring 'Orca'

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26:30 am

Two more distributions to avoid for people who need a distribution that has Orca in full: Linux Mint 16 (Petra) and Fedora 20 - same interface as Zorin (and Ubuntu 13.10 I guess) I suspect this is a Gnome 3 issue as Fedora is RedHat based - shame on the Gnome Project! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Swarfendor437

Sun May 18, 2014 10:33:46 pm

OK, I have been absent as I screwed my Zorin 8 Ultimate install by installing Cinammon and logging into Pantheon desktop said goodbye to a working Zorin! If I had left it at Cinammon DE everything was as it was! Hey Ho! So as a little hobby I was going to show how AVLinux installs and that did not go well so finally got round to doing a screen cast of what Accessibility SHOULD be like on the Desktop of GNU/Linux - when the upload is done to Vimeo I will edit this post with the link! ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 11:06:01 am

OK, the video is now up!

http://vimeo.com/95682732