This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

FreeCAD update help?

Jaime

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57:48 am

Hi. I installed the freecad 0.10 from the software center but I just noticed that there's a newer version 0.11 and the one that's installed is acting weird. For example I can still see some of the menus from it, even though I'm now on the browser window. I can't figure out how to just upgrade to the new version. I downloaded the 32 bit release, but since I'm using the 64 bit I get the wrong architecture message and I can't install it. If I remember correctly I think there's a way for me to just point to it and do and apt-get and have it update. I'm not sure if this is possible on this program. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Here's the link to the program.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... =Main_Page

Jaime

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38:25 am

Thanks. No I haven't uninstall it yet. I figured you could just point to the software and then do the update. I also don't have any data, I'm just playing around with it for now. I'm not sure that just uninstalling it will stop the wrong architecture message though. I know usually that works, but lately I have noticed that the 64 bit os's won't let you do this, which I guess makes some sense, but what do I know.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:05:39 pm

If it shows up in the software list in Synaptic, you can use the "force" option to force package installation!!.

Synaptic > Package > Force Version

Regards Wolfman:)

Jaime

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:02:52 am

I just tried this and it doesn't work.

swarfendor437 wrote:Try this (no guarantees as I have just used this to update youtube-dl).

1. Open up a Terminal (Accessories / Terminal)
2. enter (without the quotes) 'sudo freeCAD -U'

This should run freeCAD as 'superuser' (root) - the -U = Update.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:10:32 pm

try un-installing and then re-install it!!!.

Regards Wolfman:)