This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hello

Jaime

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45:01 am

Hi. I'm a new user of Zorin and I have now installed it on two machines. My desktop and my laptop. I noticed a Defcon sort of pop up on my desktop today. I unistalled one of the programs that was installed before but i'm not sure if this has to do with that. It was the netwaren/novell program I think it was, but I can't remember the name. It's the one that lets you chat with others and share files. In any case the Defcon words appear on the lower menu bar for a second or two every now and then but I have no idea what that is. Does anyone know what that may be? Thanks. By the way I really like this setup. I was an Ubuntu user but I really hate the new setup they got now so I had to find something else.

Jaime

Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:24:59 pm

Thanks. Well so far the only two programs I needed to install were the record my desktop and virtual box which I have used before. Everything else I needed was already in the distro. I'll take a look at my laptop later and see if I can find that program I uninstalled, but you would not be seeing that if I already took it out. I don't like whatever that is because I have googled for that and still can't seem to find what it is. There's just something weird with that. Oh yeah the other program was ktorrent which I think has quite a few updates and I'm not sure if that may have anything to do with it. So far that's all I can think of but hopefully someone will find out what that is.

Jaime

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55:38 am

Hi again. I uninstalled the ktorrent and today I went to install Devede when the 'Defcon a' window popped up. Okay now I really don't trust this as this was showing up way before I even started installing anything. So I'm doing a bit more digging and this is all I can find. I sure hope we can figure this out since what comes up in google is stuff about hacking and not good either. So far they all seem empty.

Jaime

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:57:56 am

Here are the log files I get, which one should I start looking at? Sorry about the weird picture, the forum makes it big like that. Needless to say I just don't trust whatever that defcon a window is. Something really weird is going on there. By the way, how do I pause the results when I do an ls -l? I'm getting too much info but I need to stop it. I'm just playing around the command line and well, don't know how to pause the darn thing. Thanks.

Okay I figured out how to slow the screen down. Just use ls -l | less or more. Less allows you to search for words by adding a / before your search word and more works just like the windows version where you can just go to the next page and back, no search on this one though.

Wolfman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:14:54 pm

Restart your PC in "Recovery Mode" and run "dpkg", once finished, restart your PC and see if it still happens.

Keep us informed!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Jaime

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:33:33 pm

One question, how the heck do you get into the rescue mode on this OS? I tried holding down the shift key and nothing. I also tried the esc key and still nothing. This is the only OS on this machine.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:03:57 pm

Press the "Esc" key within a couple of seconds or it defaults to the main OS without options. Once you are in the sub menu, you can select "dpkg" from the list!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Jaime

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48:26 pm

Thanks guys. I tried both, but all I see is no signal. So I decided to download a couple of other distros that didn't work and if they installed I could not see anything correctly. So I went back to Ubuntu for now, but I'll be looking around for Windows again. Hopefully they'll be something this black friday or cyber monday. If I can just get one more copy then I can change back to Windows and call it a day. I really enjoyed linux these few years but lately there's just way too much mucking around just get things working and I've been testing Windows on one of my machines and seems okay. So if I find any good specials I'll get it, if not I'll keep trying a few others and see how it goes. But I just want to say thanks for helping me out, I do appreciate it.