This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

screensaver

blfriis

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:06:53 am

Hi all sorry for my poor english I am from Denmark.I like ZorinOs very much.But I can't get the screensaver to work, when it's starts it's fade out to black, but then it's returns back to the desktop screen.It's ZorinOS 5.1 I ultimate (I think).hope it makes sense.. :D

blfriis

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:24:32 pm

no desktop

Obsidian1723

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:22:30 pm

Please post the information from this command done in the Terminal:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

blfriis

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10:56 pm

blfriis@blfriis-System-Product-Name:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] [10de:0614] (rev a2)
blfriis@blfriis-System-Product-Name:~$

Obsidian1723

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:49:48 am

lspci -nn |grep VGA shows this for me - 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] [10de:0326] (rev a1)

Try installing the drivers as was mentioned. Nvidia has great Linux support.

blfriis

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:16:18 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Have you tried installing the 'non-free' (this does not mean you have to pay by the way!) drivers:
Z button/System/Administration/Additional Drivers to install the proprietary nVidia driver for GNU/Linux?

No I must admit that i installed the nvidia driver right after the zorinos installation was finish.do you think that the nvidia driver causes the problem. I will try to install zorin in a virtuel mashine and then leave out the nvidia driver

blfriis

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:16:16 pm

blfriis@blfriis-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get --yes -q --force-yes install rss-glx && sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-screensaver
[sudo] password for blfriis:
Indlæser pakkelisterne...
Opbygger afhængighedstræ...
Læser tilstandsoplysninger...
rss-glx er i forvejen den nyeste version.
0 opgraderes, 0 nyinstalleres, 0 afinstalleres og 0 opgraderes ikke.
blfriis@blfriis-System-Product-Name:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Zorin OS 5
Release: 11.04
Codename: natty
blfriis@blfriis-System-Product-Name:~$

blfriis

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23:09 pm

now I have installed the ZorinOS 3.2 lts in dualboot with ZorinOS 5 in the lts the screensaver works fine even with the nvidia driver installed. So it must be something in Z 5 that causes the troubles I think.

blfriis

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51:24 pm

The ' above ' is from Z 5 and it's still not working the nvidia driver is installed from the repository.I haven't tried the nouveau driver.In Ubuntu 11.10 the 3D effects didn't work with the nouveau driver so I suppose that it will be the same in Zorin.
But in 3.2 lts everything works just fine

Wolfman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17:27 pm

Did you check the settings in: Control Center > Screensaver. Maybe there is something there causing the problem!!??.

Regards Wolfman:)

blfriis

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:57:37 pm

The settings are the same in 5 and 3.2 but I can live with out the screensaver on this pc so don't worry too much about it. Maybe it will work when the next zorin arrives.But thanks for helping :)

blfriis

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:18:26 am

Now it's getting spooky my wife used her log in this evening, on her user profile.and the screensaver seems to work.It's the zorin 5 OS.It must something in my settings... but I don't know where.. is it possibly to shut down the screensaver and restart it with the terminal to see what might cause the troubles