This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to install third-party application in Z5L

Triophile

Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:31:54 pm

Hi guys.

Searched on this board and more widely on the net, and getting nowhere in a very time-consuming manner, even for what I suspect is a very basic query.

I need to know how to install a third-party Debian-compatible app in Z5L (ie, an app which is not listed in Synaptec). In this case, it's the latest ATI drivers for Linux 32/64 from ATI/AMD's site. Yes, I realise these (or something similar) can be downloaded through the Additional Drivers process, but I'd like to know how to do it manually (and besides, whatever's available automatically doesn't work wonderfully well on my machine). I realise some apps which aren't known-100%-compatible can cause probs, but my install of Z5L is totally expendable, so that's not a problem.

Double-clicking on ATI's .run file opens the Add/Remove dialogue, which does not list the ATI .run package I'm trying to install. I've tried a couple of things, without necessarily fully understanding what I'm doing: trying to open it from the command line and, I suspect, getting the syntax wrong, etc.

Any help much appreciated, Jon.

Triophile

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:24:43 am

Hi Swarfendor.

When I right-click on the file (which ends .run, not .deb), I don't get 'Install using Ubuntu Software Centre' as an option.

The link you provided got me headed in the right general direction though (I think). I ended up using this command:

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty

from this page:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... r_Manually

I ran that command in the folder (Desktop) in which the .run file was located, and ran it as root.

This then unpacked (is that the right term?) the contents of the .run file to provide the correct files for an installtion in Ubuntu Natty (which Zorin is based on, apparently). This left me with three .deb files - one the driver, one Catalyst Control Centre, one development files.

I double-clicked on the driver to install that first, and then did the same for CCC. They both seemed to install correctly. Only problem is, I can't find a short-cut to CCC, and can't get it running by typing amdcccle into 'Run' or terminal, despite the fact that the package installer is telling me it's already installed. Any suggestions as to how I can find and start CCC, and then pin it to a handy menu somewhere?

Cheers, Jon.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18:33 am

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Please read from the above link, once you have downloaded the file, right click and go to properties and make the file "Executeable".

Double click and run file, it should auto install!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Triophile

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:52:04 pm

Oookkkaayyy, that's more like it :-) Got CCC now. I opted for the automatic, non-build-specific install. Getting less tearing in DVD replay, but still some.

Is there any advantage to a build-specific install?

Cheers, Jon.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:38:25 pm

Hi Jon,

I honestly couldn't tell you, I removed the drivers myself as they didn't seem to be really helping at all!!!. (On my Nvidia rig, the drivers are fine!!)

Regards Wolfman:)

Triophile

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:46:42 pm

OK, no prob, Wolfman.

As you did, I've uninstalled CCC and ATI's own driver. Interesting thing was, presumably as I'd installed using ATI's own installer, I didn't seem to be able to uninstall via Add/Remove programmes, as the relevant CCC and driver files came up as not yet installed. A quick look at:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... st.2Ffglrx

yielded the answer. In this case, rather than running the command line, I just navigated to /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh as root, did what you mentioned above, Wolfman (made file executable), and then double-clicked it. This seems to have worked OK - both CCC and ATI's own driver seem to have gone from my system, though some sort of feedback during the uninstall process would have been nice :-)

Anyway, now I'm starting to get the tiniest feel for Linux and how files are laid out, I'll have a crack at going for either a build-specific and/or custom install, and see if that eliminates the tearing issues. At least the rotating cog-cube 3D test in the ATI software ran fine, so if I do need 3D graphics, the ATI software should work if I re-install it.

Thanks again for your help, Wolfman!