This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Feedback your experience of Zorin 6.2 (all flavours) HERE!

granul

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02:08 am

I installed Zorin Ultimate 6.2 and it's working very nicely. One suggestion, it would be nice if we could personnalized the color of the dock, changing it to other color than grey or get full transparency.

Thank you for this nice distribution

iflyun

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36:25 am

I just discovered this os and am quite pleased. Having a dock standard with no other menu bars is rare in a linux os.

Just from first glance I think the system tray icons could be better matched with the theme. Power button in two places is silly and I wasn't able to change the start menu user icon when running off a usb stick (live). I created a new user and changed the icon but it didn't apply to the start menu. Anyway thanks for the new distro, I will keep a close eye on this one.

ps. I also like how chrome is default :p also something most other distro's are scared of.

johnvelster

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02:15 am

Hello to all; i just a new user of linux (like 1 month ago), and i choose Zorin OS, cause, in other distro had a confuse,
installing Compiz, i just happy with Zorin OS 6.2 core, certainly,the process of downloading takes like 6 hours!!!; but
Zorin amaze me. worth it!! Now im trying to shows the OS, to all my family and friends in order to meet Zorin; the first impression
to me, is the OS is very friendly with users that comes from Windows and its really faster, thats all, greetings from Latin America and
congratulations toall the work group of Zorin, and excuse my english here we spoke spanish; hasta luego parceros!!! :mrgreen:

phelgan

Tue May 21, 2013 8:15:52 pm

Hi All,

Zorin 6.2 Core

Installed it on my new PC about a month ago now, after trying it on a dual boot system with Windows XP.
It worked very well on the dual boot PC and, given the Windows 7 like feel would make a good choice for the less adventurous members if the family.

Unfortunately I seem to be having a lot of stability issues with it - programmes often closing without warning, occasional system freezes and the now irritating "Sorry, Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error" (ironically, this dialogue has just popped up in the middle of me writing this!). In 30 minutes on the PC today I have had one freeze, one programme closure and one "internal error" (presumably prompted by the programme closure?).

I will shortly open up the case to check there is nothing daft, like a loose connection (hoping....), otherwise I might have to reinstall or move on to something else :(

Regards,

Phil

Wolfman

Wed May 22, 2013 4:44:32 pm

phelgan wrote:Hi All,

Zorin 6.2 Core

Installed it on my new PC about a month ago now, after trying it on a dual boot system with Windows XP.
It worked very well on the dual boot PC and, given the Windows 7 like feel would make a good choice for the less adventurous members if the family.

Unfortunately I seem to be having a lot of stability issues with it - programmes often closing without warning, occasional system freezes and the now irritating "Sorry, Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error" (ironically, this dialogue has just popped up in the middle of me writing this!). In 30 minutes on the PC today I have had one freeze, one programme closure and one "internal error" (presumably prompted by the programme closure?).

I will shortly open up the case to check there is nothing daft, like a loose connection (hoping....), otherwise I might have to reinstall or move on to something else :(

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

take a look here and follow the guide then get back to us should you have more problems:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

phelgan

Fri May 24, 2013 7:08:00 pm

Hi All,

Just to say that since opening case and checking connections all has behaved itself :oops: Okay its only been a few days but a positive sign. Funny, 'cos none of the connections appeared to be loose.

Thanks Wolfman, I'll look at that but hopefully will not be issue now (am I tempting fate with that statement?).

Phil

lorian

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:41:50 pm

I did not know there is a specific topic for 6.2, thus I opened a new topic for my experience of ZorinOS 6.2.
However, IMHO, Zorin needs a special theme to be replaced with Ubuntu default theme. there is many theme. Nevertheless, I think emerald can make Zorin more near to Windows 7.
The software wine alone does not help at all, It would be great if some of the default Windows software such as Microsoft Office and ... Been installed on it by default. This can be presented as a new spin of Zorin. You can install Microsoft Office by default and user can enter his/her license key to the Microsoft office program after installation.

phelgan

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:49:31 pm

Just like to say that my problems did seem to mostly down to a dodgy SATA cable, since replacing I've had very few hiccups.

Still getting to grips with Linux, but one the whole, Zorin is proving a good choice (though it does have a habit of showing its underwearwith references to Ubuntu popping up quite often!).

Thanks for the helpful pointers on the forum all.

Phelgan

phelgan

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14:46 pm

I am exploring the joy of owning a Raspberry Pi, so am experiencing Raspbian. Also thought about trying Mint. At the moment though, getting the family used to a Windows-free PC, so not going too mad.

kenetics

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04:04 pm

I've been testing Zorin Lite (Ver. 6.2) on my Asus EeePC900. I put it on an SDHC card and it's working very well. It's the first distribution that has run this well on my netbook, besides the various Puppy versions I have been using, and it runs nearly as fast (Puppy loads entirely into memory).

I installed Zorin directly to the SD card from Linux Mint on my desktop computer, with Grub and everything, without resorting to Unetbootin and it ran fine from the card. Zorin automatically detected the battery status and CPU temperature of the netbook, which showed up on the task bar. The wireless card was also detected and connection was easy.

I installed Open Office, as I have some protected spreadsheets that I use with Dropbox. No problem with that as the SD card is 16GB (class 6), so there is plenty of room for additional software. I guess I should read the post install thread next, to get some tips. :)

I'm tempted to try Zorin 7 Lite, as I heard that it uses even fewer resources than 6, and my netbook only has 512 MB memory. It would be nice to compare the two. However, 6.2 is running without a problem so far.

Ken

ettore

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27:26 pm

I have installed on my Dimension 3000 windows XP, Zorin 6 precise with Linux 3.2.0-53 and Ubuntu precise 12.04 LTS. Has been very hard from the beginning to receive support.If I ask Ubuntu they tell me to ask Zorin,when some of their software from Ubuntu software center are missing.I had problem installing programs like the printer,and I could not understand how to open and install this programs,like Tar files and so on.I have missed the process completely.This morning I started the PC and my Wallpaper was missing with my Gnome start and desktop icon.When I tried to re install the wallpaper I installed one of my private pictures and the background color when the right button of the mouse is used, was different.I restarted the PC and I ran the PC in recovery mode but this did not help.I cannot find any literature so to learn about this OS and I have decided to uninstall the program.I have given a good try,about 3 months,but now I have reached a point where I cannot fix what is wrong.I cannot remove Avant window navigator.I don't like it and i did not installed
Thank you
Ettore

Wolfman

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:47:57 am

Hi ettore,

why don't do you try the Lite version of Zorin, it is far easier to use than other versions:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

What printer do you have?.

Let us know what problems you are having so we can help you further!.

Regards Wolfman .D

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:29:08 pm

Hi ettore, you don't have to have Win7 look - you could always change your session to Classic Gnome. You could also just install lxde - but this would mean losing your Zorin DE - which you don't like.

Totolanio

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47:46 pm

Does using this Zorin 6.4 lite on a 64 bits very modern and powerful PC (well i mean powerful enough to run battlefield 3) is a bad idea ? just being curious

I installed it on my very very old PC from 2003-2004 and it works very well. Btw I've put GRUB in the same partition as "/", I hope it wont cause any problems.
I had some bugs at first updates and software center first usages but I managed to get everything work.
Midori was very slow though, it was freezing so I went back to mozilla. And i didn't get the language packages were automatically installed, thats nice but I wasted sometime before rebooting and seeing everything translated xD

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:14:01 am

Totolanio wrote:Does using this Zorin 6.4 lite on a 64 bits very modern and powerful PC (well i mean powerful enough to run battlefield 3) is a bad idea ? just being curious

I installed it on my very very old PC from 2003-2004 and it works very well. Btw I've put GRUB in the same partition as "/", I hope it wont cause any problems.
I had some bugs at first updates and software center first usages but I managed to get everything work.
Midori was very slow though, it was freezing so I went back to mozilla. And i didn't get the language packages were automatically installed, thats nice but I wasted sometime before rebooting and seeing everything translated xD

Hi Totolanio, the only issue you are likely to have is that some packages (applications) might not be available for the LXDE variant of Zorin but it should run extremely fast. 8 is not out yet and I am wondering if the Devs are concentrating on 9 first and then 9 Lite as the timescales are tight. I did have some overheating issues with Zorin Lite on an old Notebook - had cooler experience with LXLE - which unlike all other derivatives of Lubuntu is an LTS version just like 12.04 on which it is based - most other Lubuntu derivatives are 12 to 15 months max life cycle. :D

Totolanio

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12:03 pm

Well I might keep Zorin 8 because my hardware is fast enough and I might discover great things which aren't in the lite version, I just found the possibility to add a program to launch at startup and it seems it's not available on Lite.

Linuxgamer94

Tue May 06, 2014 3:48:40 am

Lets see, bloated, slow, unstable, unupdateable. I tried Zorin os 6 and switched my moms pc to zorin, god was that a mistake. I just hope that the next LTS would be easy to maintain and that they rework their themes or pick a diffrent file manager where we can just click and drag the folders into the favrotes on the sidebar. GOD that was annoying.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 8:58:07 pm

Linuxgamer94 wrote:Lets see, bloated, slow, unstable, unupdateable. I tried Zorin os 6 and switched my moms pc to zorin, god was that a mistake. I just hope that the next LTS would be easy to maintain and that they rework their themes or pick a diffrent file manager where we can just click and drag the folders into the favrotes on the sidebar. GOD that was annoying.

Try changing your server location! :D

Andrew

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27:38 pm

Howdy Y'all....been usin Zorin 6.4 Ultimate 32 for about a month now....it's quite good, a lot of stuff on it.....one thing, about repositories.....is there an updated version of xiphos Bible program....I'm sitting at 3.1.5, according to the Sword project, the most updated version is 3.1.6.....but on the site of xiphos, they've just put out 3.2.0....but sword has to be at 1.7. Are these upgrades going to be implemented any time soon.....are you all keeping up with any of this so as to upgrade the local repositories for Zorin....I know you use a lot of stuff for or from Ubuntu....thanks for your input and for a great OS

Andrew :)

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:32:32 am

Andrew wrote:Howdy Y'all....been usin Zorin 6.4 Ultimate 32 for about a month now....it's quite good, a lot of stuff on it.....one thing, about repositories.....is there an updated version of xiphos Bible program....I'm sitting at 3.1.5, according to the Sword project, the most updated version is 3.1.6.....but on the site of xiphos, they've just put out 3.2.0....but sword has to be at 1.7. Are these upgrades going to be implemented any time soon.....are you all keeping up with any of this so as to upgrade the local repositories for Zorin....I know you use a lot of stuff for or from Ubuntu....thanks for your input and for a great OS

Hi Andrew, Most of the main applications come from Ubuntu repositories - are there any .deb packages available?

Andrew

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:45:43 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Andrew wrote:Howdy Y'all....been usin Zorin 6.4 Ultimate 32 for about a month now....it's quite good, a lot of stuff on it.....one thing, about repositories.....is there an updated version of xiphos Bible program....I'm sitting at 3.1.5, according to the Sword project, the most updated version is 3.1.6.....but on the site of xiphos, they've just put out 3.2.0....but sword has to be at 1.7. Are these upgrades going to be implemented any time soon.....are you all keeping up with any of this so as to upgrade the local repositories for Zorin....I know you use a lot of stuff for or from Ubuntu....thanks for your input and for a great OS

Hi Andrew, Most of the main applications come from Ubuntu repositories - are there any .deb packages available?

Hey Swarfendor437,

After a big bout with sourceforge, and trying to follow certain instructions for installation, I've discovered right now that their current project is based on the 64bit and it's a tar ball that will/would have to be installed through terminal....no .debs right now. I think it'll have to go through Crosswire repos first so they can analise and determine if and when this gets put into any OS repo's.....I know 3.1.6.version of xiphos is out there and a lot of other OS's/distros have it in their repo's.....is there any way of at least getting that version into Zorin repo's....Thanks for your time

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53:32 pm

Hi, one way to try is to install gdebi package installer (unless already present) then install 'alien':

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Then if the package is tar.gz - no problem - if any other tarball package, extract the files then compress with Archive manager to tar.gz format - make a note of it's location then at the bash prompt enter:

Code:
sudo alien -d -i <package_name>

d = turn into debian package
i = install debian package.

Hope this helps! :D