This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED)-Scroll bar arrows for Thunderbird and Firefox.

sonny

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:06:18 pm

How can I get the scroll bar arrows that appear in Chrome in Zorin 8 to appear in firefox and thunderbird as well. I get the arrows in Ubuntu, puppy and Mint LMD but not in Zorin 8 or 9.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:03:50 am

Hi, I can't offer a solution at the moment as about to film installing Zorin 9 alongside 7 shortly - will see how I get on - unless another member or moderator can assist in the meantime! :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:17:31 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay - install 'gnome-color-chooser':

23.jpg

How to here:

http://vimeo.com/89352123

sonny

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:31:40 pm

Thanks for the info. I installed the gnome color chooser and watched the video. I could change the width and color of the scroll bars. However I could not get the scroll buttons to appear in Firefox and Thunderbird. Opera and Chrome are fine. I am trying to get my wife to swith to Zorin from XP. Thus far its OK except for the scroll buttons that she uses. She has thousands of messages in Thunderbird and finds it very awkward to go down the list without those buttons that she is familar with. Perhaps there is some setting or add-on that emables the scroll buttons. Also does it matter which Zorin look(XP, 7, gnome)? Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54:12 pm

Hi, Add Gtk Ch Theme (GTK Theme Changer) and select 'Redmond':

46.jpg

sonny

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:58:27 pm

Hi - Thanks for your help. In your examples the arrows appear in the scroll bar in Opera. Does it work in anything Mozilla such as Thunderbird or Firefox? I get the arrows in Opera and Chrome but not Mozilla stuff.
Thanks again

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:15:38 pm

Hi sonny I am sorry to report that the arrows don't appear in Evolution of Sylpheed either! :cry:

sonny

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:47:25 pm

Thanks for the effort. I am trying other forums (mozilla, ubuntu) as well. I don't have this issue in other distros only in zorin and antix. Otherwise Zorin has most of what I am looking for to present to my local community of 1800 residents that are looking for alternatives to windows 8. I think it was ok in zorin 6 based on some screen shots I observed.
Sonny

sonny

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42:20 pm

I got the solution. It has to do with the configruation file for gtk. I got the solution fron a Firefox forum that pointed me to an openSUSE forum. I could not locate an application to generate the code so I did manual entry.
There was one syntax error in the solution that I corrected by looking at the config files generated by GNOMEcolor chooser. The GNOME color chooser needs an enable option for the 'stepper'. The following is the solution:

:~> cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0
style "stepper-enable"
{
GtkScrollbar::slider_width = 15
GtkScrollbar::stepper_size = 15
GtkScrollbar::has-backward-stepper = 1
GtkScrollbar::has-forward-stepper = 1
}

class "GtkScrollbar" style "stepper-enable"

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00:50 pm

Hi sonny, excellent job! Well done! Have 120 blue jewels to you sir! I would like to make your post on this issue into a [STICKY] for other users! :D