This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

On Zorin 6 suggestions

gvhools

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08:22 pm

Hello...
I totally agree with swarfendor437,to add from my side:

1) The problem with internet browser manager
2)splash screen manager

are very useful tools and suffering character in the distribution

thank you.

mutha88

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:13:08 am

I agree with both gvhools and swarfendor437. I would like just to share something else. I'm using 5.1 surround sound system and I have 22 LCD monitor. I am currently using Windows 7, but I have tested on my system Ubuntu and Zorin and I prefer Zorin in almost every single way.

But here is my request - Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distributions have problems with sound drivers. May be it is because of that PulseAudio c***, because there is a working ALSA driver for my ASUS Xonar audio card... So, please Zorin fix that issues with the audio drivers, because this is the only thing (this and the linux media/audio players functionality), I mean - the only thing that is keeping me from migration to/or to install as a second OS Zorin.

I think your OS (distribution) would be truly a masterpiece, if this problem is fixed. Thank you for your developing and I will look for other things to share with you as well. Cheers!

P.S: I want to keep Windows only for gaming purposes.

matthew9170

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:12:01 am

I would also like to recommend an easier way to download the OS. I would prefer a P2P service so people can start, stop, and pause downloads at easy and then restart them again. Because I like my people run into internet problems were a download would get to high percent and then the internet would then die, but will a P2P service like utorrent if the internet dies it wont cancel the download it will just automatically resume downloading when the internet comes back. I have had it happen when I was downloading Zorin OS-5 and when it got to 99% my internet router decided that it was a good time to restart

Juliano

Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44:08 am

With.:

Optimized for the new Core iX :lol:

Java Version 6 Update *** (x64 or x32 bits)
Code:
http://www.java.com/pt_BR/download/manual.jsp

FreeRapid Downloader :mrgreen:
Code:
http://wordrider.net/freerapid/

Kernel 3 ;)
Code:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/torvalds-christens-next-linux-kernel-series-3x

Iron Browser :geek:
Code:
http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2680&sid=5c7b3fc000b33237d7ba9ef3db89c2f2

LibreOffice 3.4.4 :)
Code:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Delete Button mail ( :twisted: :twisted: ) :ugeek:
Capturar.JPG
Delete Button
Capturar.JPG (15.66 KiB)

pantabulosin

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49:42 am

Hi everyone.

I agree with swarfendor437 in that sound issues (ALSA vs pulseaudio) should be addressed, but at the same time I have the feeling that the zorin team is not large enough to devote resources into deviating too much from ubuntu, so I don't have very high hopes on that front. However, I do expect them to squash whatever bugs there may be in the current user interface (splash sreen manager, sound preferences, etc).

More importantly though, I think we should not focus on what default applications to have in Zorin, but on how adding or changing a current application would improve the distribution. For instance, even though swarfendor437's suggestion of adding GnuCash sounds great, maybe we should be more specific and say it should be added in the Business and Ultimate editions of Zorin, so that the free version of the OS takes as little memory as possible and the paid versions provide more bang for their buck. Of course, that was just an example; I can't know if swarfendor437 meant it that way, but you all get the gist of it

In that spirit, I would like to suggest that the Desura client be installed as a default application, at least for the Gaming and Ultimate editions of zorin. This way newbies won't have to deal with things like extracting the tar files that Desura currently uses. It also gives them a steam alternative without going through wine, which should make installing some games that are not in the Ubuntu software center easier while hopefully reducing the user's reliance on Windows applications. This move would also differentiate Zorin even more from most distributions, as none of them really have a dedicated gaming client (they usually just have tons of games preinstalled).

In fact, while I don't know if this is possible, it would be cool to make it so the OS helps you set up your Desura account at installation if you don't have an account yet, and then maybe even give you the option to download whatever games you have on the service after installation. I think this possibility could even turn out to be a decent revenue generating activity if the zorin team could work on an arrangement where they could get money for referrals, such as accounts created during installation of Zorin OS, or while using the live CD. The latter would be a lot more difficult to determine and easier to exploit though, so that may not be a realistic possibility, but still.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, hopefully this will spark some discussion.

AZorin

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:50:23 pm

Firstly, we thank you for your suggestions which are very helpful to the Zorin OS project.
We will be including GnuCash into Zorin OS 6 Business and Ultimate and Desura into Zorin OS 6 Gaming and Ultimate. The Linux Kernel 3.0 will be included as well.
Regarding the switch to ALSA, we are currently considering this option but we fear that it might cause stability issues.

Juliano

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52:43 am

I installed Fedora 16 with kernel 3 and Gnome 3. Very good. But I found it hard to find, in fact, unable to find the system configuration. The configuration of the system had few options.

I believe if the following Zorin 6 with kernel and Gnome 3, we have a nice distribution.

Showed option to choose what to install,
Fully functional firewall, installed, configured,

Zorin out 6 with these strict requirement and faster, ready for new Core i3, i5, i7, will not have another fantastic distro.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09:45 am

Hi all,

I don't have a problem with Pulse!!. :D

What I would like as default web browser is FireFox!!. :D

Regards Wolfman :D

manmath

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:25:43 am

I'm happy the way Zorin is going. Just one request, please don't jump to gnome 3. Just upgrading the kernel, xorg and a few mainstream applications will be great.

Wolfman

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04:15 am

Assuming that Zorin6 will be going the Gnome3 road, can with have all available extensions included in the ISO, I want a flexible desktop and some distro's are making things harder with Gnome3 instead of easier!!.

boldford

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54:03 pm

While we're talking about a wish list for future Zorin releases perhaps a thing to consider is the way graphics drivers are handled. All Debian based flavours of Linux I've played with default to a fairly low screen resolution if they encounter a graphics system they don't recognise. Perhaps an alternative to consider is the algorithm Puppy Linux uses. If it encounters an unrecognised graphics system it invites the installer to experiment with various screen resolutions until one is found that a) works and b) the installer is happy with.

egypte

Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:31:42 pm

Well,,
i like to be a member in ur place
First: 1- this is linux system
so why many apps of linux dosn't run ?
2- i like to add virtual box to ur vesion and dock like cairo dock for example
3- start menu like windows 8 its more and more easy to do every thing

second : if u run program windows perfectly
we will nt need to use windows beside zorin

i like to be different with my friends in my laptop and zorin make me this

so we wait ur updates
do u mind if u add to ur name zorin
2 words or 3
for example zorin world revolution
zorin world developer
and something like this
make ur version attractive

i like ur team
i like u zorin

waiting ur reply

Wolfman

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55:11 am

egypte wrote:Well,,
i like to be a member in ur place
First: 1- this is linux system
so why many apps of linux dosn't run ?
2- i like to add virtual box to ur vesion and dock like cairo dock for example
3- start menu like windows 8 its more and more easy to do every thing

second : if u run program windows perfectly
we will nt need to use windows beside zorin

i like to be different with my friends in my laptop and zorin make me this

so we wait ur updates
do u mind if u add to ur name zorin
2 words or 3
for example zorin world revolution
zorin world developer
and something like this
make ur version attractive

i like ur team
i like u zorin

waiting ur reply

Hi,

which programs are you talking about that don't work??.

Yes! you can add docky or cairo dock.

Yes! you can run it in VB mode!!.

egypte

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:00:01 pm

Wolfman wrote:["]Well,,
Hi,

which programs are you talking about that don't work??.

Yes! you can add docky or cairo dock.

Yes! you can run it in VB mode!!.

[/quote]

yea i see
look
when we install zorin
we need time again to setup program
but i sugggest this programs to the next version like educational programs in zorin 5.2
and we need program to download videos from youtube , it must belong zorin not belong firefox for example
and docky or cairo dock is installed
if i haven't internet , i can't see ur options,

finaly i hope u get it ;)
see this

ftp:/193.1.193.64

portaro

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:06:45 pm

If i can choose i try maintain gnome 2 because panels and desktop is more organized.

The compiz extensions and applets works very well with gnome 2, the problem gnome 2 end and gnome 3 is ample and enough, but for me he is less atractive.

Thanks!

Iamwithin

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40:25 am

Thank you Zorin for providing this Forum. A little background, A year and a half ago I decided to check in on Linux. Being tired of Windows, I had tried Red Hat 7 years ago, and it was difficult to use. So this time I searched for easiest Distro and came up with Ubuntu 9.10. I thought I'd found heaven in computers OS. I stayed with them until Unity, then disappointed, I got a divorce. But how happy I was last year to find Zorin 5.1. I have been using your wonderful software for about a year and have no desire to change. But I hear the boots of Gnome 3 marching closer and closer. If you have no choice then I understand. I would like to see:
1. Cinnamon with some decent extensions or applets, I have already developed a couple themes for Cinnamon.
2. I don't use Zorin look changer, currently I have emerald themes and compiz. Cinnamon is open for developing effects, so MAYBE it will evolve into a nice DE.
3. Please include a Splash Screen Manager if possible.
4. I like your Browser chooser, but Firefox works as does Chrome for me
5. Include the codecs, flash, and java for us.
6. I haven't heard the new music yet with 5.2 but I read it was not good, find some nice music.
7. For heaven's sake give us some pretty wallpapers so we don't have to search for them right off.
8. The audio works for me, so I don't have a preference and I use an old Reel; to Reel tape deck to record and change to mp3's.
9. Thunderbird email.
10. Root terminal (a must)
I know you will do your best, but if it is Gnome 3, I will probably install Xfce.
Thanks again,
Bill

krash1220

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48:54 am

I love Zorin and have been using it for awhile now. I was so happy that there was a 5.0 version instead of that awful Gnome 3 desktop or Unity. I can't wait to see what the new 6.0 will bring. I have just tried out Pear OS which uses the Gnome Fallback Mode and I like it much better than cinnamon. You can't do as much with cinnamon in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about Pear OS is that there is a lot of configuring to do before you can use it or there was for me. The fallback mode is the closest I've seen to being Gnome 2 but maybe cinnamon will improve in the coming months.

madvinegar

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31:14 pm

Zorin 6 has not been released yet....

Look at what I found on ebay... :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linux-Evoluti ... 682wt_1270

Wolfman

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52:43 pm

Hi MV,

that link is very interesting, I wonder if the devs know about it!!??.

Auldyin

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14:43 pm

Wow all the FREE software you could want for only a fiver.
Methinks a young Entrepreneur

Take Care Auldyin

kairomatrix

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04:08 pm

For me STABILITY of the sistem is the most important issue. apart softwares included , compatibility with the mayor posible hardwares available on the market , usability and intuitive graphical 'interfaz" - why i saying this? LInux should be not only a home operation system , could be used in the office too. But to spread this in general bussines ambiance the stability "rock solid" of the sistem is the most important issue ( in my opinion) . A greeting to all the Zorin participant! of this forum!

Wolfman

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58:10 am

madvinegar wrote:Zorin 6 has not been released yet....

Look at what I found on ebay... :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linux-Evoluti ... 682wt_1270

Hi all,

I have it on good authority that "Zorin 7" doesn't exist and he is most likely selling Zorin 5 disguised as Zorin 7, I think anybody who knows about Linux will soon suss him out!!.

AZorin

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46:48 pm

We would like to warn you that this person is selling Zorin OS 5(.2) Core, claiming that it is "Zorin OS 7" which does not exist. We have already contacted eBay asking them to stop him from selling counterfeit products and deceiving buyers.

madvinegar

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01:59 pm

Detective Madvinegar at your service! :D :lol:

frits

Thu May 17, 2012 6:52:23 am

For me it is important that it runs well on my netbook. Zorin 5 flies on it! Wifi works fine. It would be nice that 6 has those capabilities as well.

I like (of course) the Gnome desktop (left Win behind me for some years now, so I don't care for the desktopchanger), but with a Mintmenu it would even be a lot better. That menu is just great to work with.

Would be nice to add Unity as a choise in the session chooser for those who like to work with it.

Most important: Keep de speed of your distro!!

Look forward to see this in 6!! ;)

Wolfman

Thu May 17, 2012 7:48:51 am

Hi frits,

what are the specs of your netbook??.

If you want a really light version of Linux, I can recommend Bodhi, it is super fast on any old PC!!. (I am not implying that your netbook is old btw!! :D )

frits

Thu May 17, 2012 8:25:20 am

Netbook is: Akoya (Medion) E1222. I am thinking of changing the 1 Gig RAM for 2 Gig, that will improve the speed a bit. But it all depends on the way the distro is built up. Zorin 5 is doing that very well.

Additional question: If I install 5 now, will there be an automatic upgrade available for the 6 LTS? Then I might install 5 even today. :D

frits

Fri May 18, 2012 7:44:35 pm

A fresh install is no problem for me. Look forward to it! :D

mcoolin

Mon May 28, 2012 1:34:09 pm

As a new user to Zorin I like what I found in 5.2.

I'd like to see the following:
Expanded theme's selection
Expanded browser selection and support,
Add virtual machine config/run
Create a Zorin developer stack selector that auto installs a number of tools
Better support of multiple monitors. (Linux games seem to crash in dual Monitor mode or worse change the settings)
I'd like to see a developer version of the OS
A backup program that works, the 5.2 version I have points to a service no longer available.
More eye candy.
I prefer Chrome over Chromium
Sound is good on modern hardware.

Gnome 3, don't care.
Looking for pretty and stable with wide support of tools and software.

VirtualNexus

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:00:16 am

Some way to enable 5.1 speakers would be nice. Having half a sound system is something I am used to it in Linux but there must be a way to enable all the capabilities of a Soundblaster Audigy.
All sound and video drivers or libraries and Flash pre-installed would also be good.
More PPA's in the source list.

VirtualNexus

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:21:06 pm

Speaking of Opera, Opera is the only browser I can't install on Zorin 5.2. The Browser Chooser downloads it but I get an error when it tries to install. It's not on the software list either so I'm Operaless but Firefox works very well. I use Opera on my 'other' system and it is pretty fast and functional.

I found this PPA for Ubuntu site, I might be able to do it from here,,,,,
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppas

UPDATE: It worked!

Wolfman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:39:17 am

VirtualNexus wrote:Some way to enable 5.1 speakers would be nice. Having half a sound system is something I am used to it in Linux but there must be a way to enable all the capabilities of a Soundblaster Audigy.
All sound and video drivers or libraries and Flash pre-installed would also be good.
More PPA's in the source list.

I would suggest Pulse Audio with full support as I use Pulse all the time and never have a problem, this includes the pacakages "paman" and "libsox-fmt-all" which I always install. (sox should be standard!!)

madvinegar

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:55:46 am

Just an idea for the devs. It would be nice to include a unity look in look changer.

craig10x

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:45:23 pm

Actually, looking at the screenshots of Zorin 6, i get the impression that Zorin 6 Ultimate DOES in fact, include the Unity desktop in the looks changer... ;)
I was a bit surprised to see it myself... :lol:

madvinegar

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14:55 pm

Where are these screenshots craig?

Swarf, I know that most people hate it :D , but it might be the future DE of linux and it would not be wise to stay completely away from it.
And since Zorin has this amazing look changer feature, it would be really easy for them to just include a unity look. If you don't like it, you don't use it, but it's nice to be there! :mrgreen:
Also, it is something that is completely unique and different from all other looks. and it is quite ergonomic imho... :mrgreen:

madvinegar

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21:14 pm

Craig is right. The devs will be including a unity look in premium version.

Look it up in the scrrenshots swarf: http://zorin-os.com/gallery6.html

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

john.mills

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22:07 am

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post about this. Anyway I understand from reading the literature on this site that the 'Lite' version of Zorin OS is based upon Ubuntu 11.10.

My question to you is would you consider basing a version of Zorin OS on a version of Debian and release this for the Raspberry Pi? The LXDE environment is already up and running well on the Pi hardware? Given the fact that the Raspberry Pi has a lot of 'momentum' around it and the educational market that it is targeting it would appear to me to be an excellent opportunity to further your educational release by targeting this platform.

The maintainer of the Raspbian Project (Debian Wheezy recompiled to support the Hard Float operations of the ARM V6 CPU) is working towards producing a desktop / education orientated distribution.http://www.raspbian.org/

Additional information can be found on the official Raspberry PI website:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=66

Perhaps depending on your schedules you might be able to lend some time support to this very worthwhile project. There are already base images available to test using LXDE and these can be installed via virtual box (with qemu) or of course on physical hardware.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianImages

There is also a developer virtual machine available for compiling and testing packages:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=7345

This might be an for you opportunity to really help make a big difference to the educational market and help fill an important niche that exists. Consider that the Raspberry Pi will be distributed in the hundreds of thousands if not millions from September onward. It would be a big boost to your distro to have it of the features from it available in a market that has strong synergies to the type of releases you target.

Thanks and best regards,

John

Deacon

Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:08:54 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I've already responded in the other thread - if it becomes the default DE then I am sorry, but Launchpad on Pear is TONS better! :D

If it is an option fine - but once Unity becomes 'de facto' I'm outta here! PERIOD! :P

Please don't ever default Unity!