This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 & Windows 7 Pro

Rickyd863

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:31:12 am

Hello,
Background:
Tried Zorin 9 free and liked it so much that I decided to get the ultimate.
wireless download to laptop and burnt to dvd. After 2 dvds and 4 tries to install on desktop, I figured it was the laptop or the wireless download that was the problem. Downloaded on my tower and burnt.
It installed great..

Now what I found out is:
After the first free install:
1: Ran Zorin from disk to delete partitions.
2: Clicked on Install from Zorin desktop.
3: One option was to install with multiple operating systems. I only have Windows 7 installed.

4: Solution was that I had to physically disconnect my other hhds. But the only thing it could possibly have detected on the drives would be the 2 Zorin iso's or the windows 10 iso's that were there.

5: After disconnection, Zorin installed. Reconnected other drives and Zorin started perfectly.

Rick

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:27:41 am

Hi - there is an easier way:

http://vimeo.com/110085401

Disconnecting other HDDs is always a good idea if you have got more than one HDD - even if sharing on a Windows 7 Drive and you have others - you could also try 'unmounting' those other drives.
I noticed you mentioned Windows 10 - I have had a bit of time playing with it and notice:

1. The HDD drive with it on will not show up in the BIOS always if other HDDs present (unless my BIOS is developing a fault - after a Ctrl+ Alt+ Del and F8 to get my one time boot option, miraculously the HDD with Windows 10 preview is present (and yes there are no further BIOS updates to the one I have on my AMD Mobo.

2. After you have installed Zorin and you have other OS's on other partitions/drives, you can update GRUB so that the other OS's are available to boot into if you changed your mind/chose wrong OS in error. :D

Rickyd863

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:07:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.
It would seem that windows 10 review would solve the hhd issue 1st before review..oh well.

It was easy for me to disconnect the hhd's due to having a large case. (Antec 1200} Only one I had a time with was the HHD directly across from the video card.

Rick

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:18:13 pm

I have a CoolerMaster Silencio Tower - great SATA plug and play slot in the front which currenlty houses my replacement WD for the failed/failing one. Not keen on Windows 10 - you have to log in to Redmond and it wants to save all your Documents in the cloud by default - no way José! :D

To me Windows 10 Preview makes it easier for people to migrate to GNU/Linux - your personal folders are in .... 'Home'! :lol:

You can have multiple Desktops - just like GNU/Linux! :lol:

To me Windows 10 is a Games Platform - which is what the much maligned Amiga was coined - but it did MUCH more than Windows or Mac at the time!

Rickyd863

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:03:41 am

I actually had the windows 10 preview installed on a machine for a few days..That was the limit. After that I popped in a boot disk and formated, then installed Zorin 9..
The only thing that windows 10 had going for it, in my book, was a fast bootup time...Not worth it for me...enjoying Zorin on 3 machines now...

Rick