This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Full backup

Stephanie

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:21:56 am

Being quite new to Zorin OS I don't even know if this is applicable (I have run the integrated backup) but is there any programs that can perform a full and retrievable (via a rescue disk) backup of the complete OS, in short create a system image to a external hard drive ? any help suggestions appreciated :)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:49:35 pm

redobackup (yet to try it but is supposed to be good and cross-platform!):

http://redobackup.org

Stephanie

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:55:32 pm

Thank you Swarfendor437 I will be looking at that bit later today :D

Stephanie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34:49 am

I just did my first backup with Redo and I'm delighted ! its so fast, in the past with Windows I have used acronis, paragon and macrium reflect all slow and complicated compared to Redo.
Boot from the Redo disk to set up backup takes 4 clicks and I have backed up my complete Zorin Ultimate OS in 9.6 minutes to my external HDD.

Solved :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57:05 am

Really Glad to hear it - I too have been an avid fan of Acronis - heard they came unstuck with Windows 7 64-bit on their forums. The ultimate test is how good it is at restoring ... are you willing to give it a try and report back? ;)

Stephanie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03:54 pm

Yes I'm up for it, in fact I could try it right now, should be back soon :D

Stephanie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:37:05 pm

Im happy to report that restore in redobackup works great (10.1 mins) , Yes I remember Acronis not doing so well, many at Seven Forums moved to macrium reflect I think on Brinks advice .. I was there :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:07:49 pm

Great Stuff! :D

Wolfman

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:05:37 pm

Hi,

can we mark this as solved?. :D

(You can edit the thread topic title yourself, please type in block letters: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1901 )

Stephanie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:29:52 pm

Yes please Wolfman :D

star treker

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:58:42 am

Hi there!

Yes, I own Acronis True Image 2014 and it worked really well to clone my hard drive over when I got my new SSD drive! I never really used it as a backup program though, even though it had that functionality built in. I wanted to use Acronis again but its not compatible with Linux OS. So I too decided to go with Redo Backup and I am glad I did. I like its simplistic design and its GUI interface is easy to operate, like you, I was done in about 4 clicks, pretty awesome stuff. And like you said, the real test is how well it does in restoring your computer. Sounds like in your case, Redo did an excellent job restoring, which puts me at an ease of mind. If you are interested, please read my post here about it!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12436#p54744