This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] How-To work as "root"

Wolfman

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:37:42 am

Hi,

in order to complete some tasks in Ubuntu Gnome based Linux systems; it is necessary to make yourself into user root, you can do this by:

Open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and paste the following command:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

(for Kubuntu: kdesu konqueror)
(for Xubuntu: gksudo thunar)

this will open a new window and you can do what you need to do as "root", as soon as you close the window; user root shuts down and you continue as a normal user.

It is important to note that while working as root; you are aware that whatever you are doing; will be done at an administrative level and any permissions given; are normally given to "root" only, if you feel you also need to create permission for a normal user, right click on the file or folder or package and go to > properties > permissions and select which user(s) you want to apply permissions to.

When you are asked for your "root" password, give your normal user password unless you created a specific password for "root".

Regards Wolfman :D

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

and:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/permissions

Anonymous

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:17:30 am

Can I set permanent root-level permissions by default?

I see no point to asking for a password every time I perform a root-level task when I'm going to enter it without a second thought anyway.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39:06 pm

It is possible, but:

1. There are security issues (much like running as Administrator and connected to the internet whilst logged in as Admin)

2. There is a possible chance that your system could go belly up ... if you are not rigorously careful in what you do as a user with full root privileges. ;)

I think Wolfman gave a link on this above.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:36:58 pm

Linux is secure as long as you don't run the system continuously as "root", once you do, your system will no longer be secure!. :D Simple as that!. :D

Anonymous

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:37:40 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:It is possible, but:

1. There are security issues (much like running as Administrator and connected to the internet whilst logged in as Admin)

2. There is a possible chance that your system could go belly up ... if you are not rigorously careful in what you do as a user with full root privileges. ;)

I think Wolfman gave a link on this above.

If with Administrator you refer to doing the same on Windows, that is pretty much exactly what I've been doing since... well since I started using Windows. First thing I do on a new install is to disable User Account Control (I jokingly refer to it as the Microsoft Thought Control) completely, force admin privs, show hidden files, etc.

If I download a piece of software I'm going to install that piece of software whether it asks for a password or not. I would not have downloaded it otherwise and my security comes from the fact that I don't download shady software all willy nilly.

Is Linux any more vulnerable than Windows in this regard? I don't want to be that guy that ignores all warnings and thinks he knows better here, I know my place, so please tell me if I'm mistaken in what I percieve is the level of vulnerability.

Wolfman

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:51:04 pm

Hi,

take your time and read this thread, it is a tad old but still stands today:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-915527/

And:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootS ... using_sudo

Anonymous

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:25:48 am

Thank you.

If the shell is as powerful compared to windows as implied, I can see why linux would be more vulnerable to full privilege abuse.

That said, my system is not used for anything important in the slightest, and a destroyed system just means I need to reinstall it.
Rather than logging into the root account I think I'll disable the sudo password prompt. (I assume this also works when performing actions through the GUI, such as installing software in the software center?) I believe I understand the dangers involved in either method of gaining elevated privileges, and wouldn't recommend either to anyone, but I live on the edge. ;)

The idea of an OS that punishes its user for being an idiot excites me. This will be fun.