This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suggestion for installer

lilggamegenuis

Thu May 28, 2015 6:43:54 am

I just finished installing the new zorin after trying Kali Linux a while back. While using Kali, I had dual-booted the new windows 10 and Kali. I wanted to go back to zorin since it had a new version. when I went to the installer, it detected Kali and asked if I wanted to replace it. I read that it said it would wipe all of the files and settings for Kali BUT I never said it would WIPE the WHOLE DRIVE. I (luckily) have a backup of my data so I can simply restore my data but I think that it should say that it will wipe the whole drive and not just that partion. Thank you for reading and I hope this will be changed.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 29, 2015 1:38:23 pm

I can see where you are going with this as inexperienced users are likely to take the easy route and may have some issues - perhaps you could PM the Zorin brothers on here (AZorin and zorink) about this issue - I suspect though that it is the same wording that appears on Ubuntu 14.04 on which the distro is based. For best results you should always follow the 'something else' method for installation.

For dual-booters you should follow my video tutorial here:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

If your intention was to triple boot, a recent issue of Linux Magazine/Linux User & Developer (can't remember for sure - will edit this later) advises triple-booters to back up data partitions of the first GNU/Linux (in your case Kali), shrink to make space and 'defrag' using the open source defrag utility on sourceforge.net (will post link later). ;) :D

Wolfman

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:01:18 am

Hi,

when you already have existing partitions; use the "Something Else Method" and you can't go wrong!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

The info is already out there, people just have to take a little time and look around for the answers, beginners need to take more time because it is very easy to completely wipe your Windows/Mac OS from the PC!. :D