Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby James tobin » Sun May 15, 2016 12:54 am

I have 2 suggestions:

1. Make an option to have workspace-specific taskbar icons, not to show them from all workspaces

2. On the desktop cube, number the workspaces with some kind of text so users do not get mixed up.

I may have more later ;) :D
Image
The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
User avatar
James tobin
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby Swarfendor437 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:11 am

Hi, Just add 'shiny switcher' from the Applets in AWN | Preferences | Applets - 1 through 4 starts left to right so easy to follow as workspace in use is highlighted and if a window is open it will reflect that fact. ;) :D

download/file.php?id=3285&mode=view
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
User avatar
Swarfendor437
 
Posts: 10441
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby MBMz10 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:10 am

James tobin wrote:I have 2 suggestions:

1. Make an option to have workspace-specific taskbar icons, not to show them from all workspaces

2. On the desktop cube, number the workspaces with some kind of text so users do not get mixed up.

I may have more later ;) :D



Shinny Switcher is good, yes.
Also regarding workspace numbering/naming:
Compiz Config Settings Manager (just type: ccsm in Zorin menu search)
Go to Window managment > Workspace Naming, if you want even more customization.
Also I find "Expo" in ccsm a good way to 'find myself' when lost in the cube.

Maybe its time to start a new "what we want in Zorin 12" thread? A wish list of sorts.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
User avatar
MBMz10
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby Swarfendor437 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 pm

MBMz10 wrote:
James tobin wrote:I have 2 suggestions:

1. Make an option to have workspace-specific taskbar icons, not to show them from all workspaces

2. On the desktop cube, number the workspaces with some kind of text so users do not get mixed up.

I may have more later ;) :D



Shinny Switcher is good, yes.
Also regarding workspace numbering/naming:
Compiz Config Settings Manager (just type: ccsm in Zorin menu search)
Go to Window managment > Workspace Naming, if you want even more customization.
Also I find "Expo" in ccsm a good way to 'find myself' when lost in the cube.

Maybe its time to start a new "what we want in Zorin 12" thread? A wish list of sorts.


If you want a wish-list then you can always post here:

viewforum.php?f=9
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
User avatar
Swarfendor437
 
Posts: 10441
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby James tobin » Wed May 18, 2016 1:14 pm

The reason i think that should be done is not for identification. One of these times i'll post screenshot of my taskbar when i'm running 20 programs on zorin and of my openbox taskbar when i'm running 20 programs. The difference is that in zorin it's so spammed scrolling has to be enabled but on my openbox there is only 5 per workspace because the icons are workspace-specific. That's more convenient especially for laptops with smaller screens.
Image
The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
User avatar
James tobin
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:19 am
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby dark9 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 pm

I have some suggestions and questions. :)

Check out WPS Office. https://www.wps.com/linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOaj_EqZZE0
I think WPS Office could be better choice for Zorin OS over LibreOffice.

Like how Zorin Web Browser Manager lets you quickly download and install your favorite web browser, if possible do the same by making Zorin Media Player Manager and let users quickly download and install their favorite Media Player as not everyone use VLC, some use MPV, others SMPlayer or Miro.

Will Zorin OS work on Skylake 6th Gen CPU's? I hear Linux Kernel is having lot of problems supporting Skylake CPU's, its integrated graphics and power management issues on laptops. Maybe users should wait for fully supported kernel before installing linux on skylake machines.

Will Zorin OS work on 15 year old PC? Intel 845 with 1.4 Ghz 1 core 256mb SD Ram, GeForce 4 MX440? Its the very first gen P4 that was released back in 2001, has Win XP SP3 on it, not using this PC currently but want to install Zorin OS on it to replace the outdated XP, maybe lite version but need to know if Zorin OS has all the required drivers for it.
User avatar
dark9
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby dark9 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Also i think its alright if you decide to remove Windows XP look in Zorin OS since everyone is used to Windows 7 look.
I would like to see Windows 10 look. :)
User avatar
dark9
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby Swarfendor437 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 pm

dark9 wrote:I have some suggestions and questions. :)

Check out WPS Office. https://www.wps.com/linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOaj_EqZZE0
I think WPS Office could be better choice for Zorin OS over LibreOffice.

Like how Zorin Web Browser Manager lets you quickly download and install your favorite web browser, if possible do the same by making Zorin Media Player Manager and let users quickly download and install their favorite Media Player as not everyone use VLC, some use MPV, others SMPlayer or Miro.

Will Zorin OS work on Skylake 6th Gen CPU's? I hear Linux Kernel is having lot of problems supporting Skylake CPU's, its integrated graphics and power management issues on laptops. Maybe users should wait for fully supported kernel before installing linux on skylake machines.

Will Zorin OS work on 15 year old PC? Intel 845 with 1.4 Ghz 1 core 256mb SD Ram, GeForce 4 MX440? Its the very first gen P4 that was released back in 2001, has Win XP SP3 on it, not using this PC currently but want to install Zorin OS on it to replace the outdated XP, maybe lite version but need to know if Zorin OS has all the required drivers for it.


Hi, The problem with WPS Office is that it will not work with any screenreader on any platform.

I do like the idea of media player chooser!

Ubuntu 16.04 is supposed to be Skylake compatible so you will have to wait for Zorin12!

Not sure if 256 Mb RAM will be enough even for Lite - test in live mode first.
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
User avatar
Swarfendor437
 
Posts: 10441
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby Swarfendor437 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:26 pm

dark9 wrote:Also i think its alright if you decide to remove Windows XP look in Zorin OS since everyone is used to Windows 7 look.
I would like to see Windows 10 look. :)


Well if you mean theming rather than interface MakuluLinux 'LINDOZ' is due for release any day now!
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
User avatar
Swarfendor437
 
Posts: 10441
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: Zorin OS 11 Feedback

Postby MBMz10 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:19 am

MakuluLinux LinDoz is now Live...

I like the idea of a Windows 10 look as well.
And a media player choice. Like the Zorin web browser manager. Spoil us even more please Zorin.

I just built new skylake system, not noticed any problems on Zorin 11 (just put the old drive in and it booted right up and worked) also done a clean install (Zorin 11 test install) using the Intel integrated graphics, installed steam and played games, watched a movie, all good far as I could tell. On a desktop machine of course.

Really looking forward to Zorin 12 and a new fresh install though. New hardware and new software, love that new smell.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
User avatar
MBMz10
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests