This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to use Unetbootin

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32:58 pm

Firstly, download your preferred version of Zorin OS, 32 or 64 Bit (if you are unsure, download the 32 Bit version) (Ubuntu/Debian/Voyager/PinguyOS etc) in the form of an ISO file, remember where you store the file!. (I am not talking about using the Unetbootin download function, I am talking about you downloading your ISO directly from a website!, please see below for instructions how to use the onboard download function!.)

Install the app Unetbootin either under Linux:
Code:
sudo apt-get install unetbootin
or the Windows version: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

UNetbootin allows for the installation of various Linux/BSD distributions to a partition or USB drive, so it's no different from a standard install, only it doesn't need a CD. It can create a dual-boot install, or replace the existing OS entirely.

Now, you will need a USB stick/Pendrive of not less than 4 - 5GB in size for a good safe install, the drive must be PRE-FORMATTED TO FAT32 file format ERASING ALL DATA PREVIOUSLY KEPT ON THE DRIVE INCLUDING HIDDEN FILES!. Do not just simply delete what files are on the stick as the hidden files are exactly that; "hidden"!.

THE USB STICK MUST BE MOUNTED BEFORE YOU START USING UNETBOOTIN!!!.

Now open the app Unetbootin and you need to point the installer to your downloaded ISO file, click where it states "Disk Image":
UNetbootin_001.jpg

and then on where you can see "Select disk":
UNetbootin_010.jpg

Another window will open and you must click on "Parent directory":
Open Disk Image File_002.jpg

Then on "Home":
Open Disk Image File_003.jpg

Your user name:
Open Disk Image File_004.jpg

Downloads folder:
Open Disk Image File_005.jpg

Your downloaded ISO file:
Open Disk Image File_006.jpg

The name of the downloaded ISO will now appear in the window bottom right:
UNetbootin_007.jpg

Click on OK and the install process will start:
UNetbootin_007.jpg

Now just wait until it has finished:
UNetbootin_008.jpg

Once fihished, click on Reboot Now or Exit:
UNetbootin_009.jpg

Thats it!. :D

Booting from USB:

to boot from USB, you should have an option on your screen as soon as you start your PC which will say something like "Select boot device", on my HP rig it is the "Esc key" and on my Hewlett Packard rig, "F12".

You can also set "Boot Order" in BIOS, when you boot yor PC, press the respective key which allows you access to your BIOS settings, like "Del", "F1 or F2" and change the first boot device to USB.

See also:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/c ... ur-pc.html

For persistent installation on a USB stick, please see here:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/de/help/faq ... ersistence

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/

You can also use Unetbootin to install a version of Linux directly from the onboard tools provided:

Click on the top left button "Distrubution":
UNetbootin_012.jpg

and then on the version which is to the right:
UNetbootin_013.jpg

Then click on OK to start!.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:56:08 am

Exellent tutorial from Wolfman. I however wonder why there is not mentioned how to make a persistent file to keep settings and installed files over reboot. It is essential to have if some changes to os. should be done to work correct, like selecting the time zone, changing the keyboard language or installing driver for internal wifi and so on, even adding some application software there.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:08:10 am

Henriolavi wrote:Exellent tutorial from Wolfman. I however wonder why there is not mentioned how to make a persistent file to keep settings and installed files over reboot. It is essential to have if some changes to os. should be done to work correct, like selecting the time zone, changing the keyboard language or installing driver for internal wifi and so on, even adding some application software there.

Hi,

I have done an edit and added info about "Persistent Install" per your suggestion!.

As for your other comments, people will have to read in other sections of the forum for problems with the keyboard and WiFi drivers as they are seperate issues and don't really have a place here!.

DanYHKim

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:44:57 am

Persistence is maintained in a file called "casper-rw". Because the USB drive is formatted FAT32, the "casper-rw" file is limited to 4 GB, which can quickly be too little. It turns out that one can get around this by creating an ext2 partition on the USB drive that is named "casper-rw", to substitute for the persistence file.

It might be tricky to do this. I've done it on a 16GB USB drive thus:
1. Delete partitions on the USB drive using GParted.
2. Create a small partition formatted FAT32 (3 GB is plenty). Also, if you wish, create a 1 GB swap partition.
3. Install Zorin-OS to the FAT32 partition of the USB drive using Unetbootin, specifying a small persistence file (2 MB is enough).
4. Now, mount the USB drive somewhere and delete the casper-rw file in the FAT32 partition.
5. Using GParted, create a large ext2 partition on the USB drive (filling the remaining space, if desired). Name this "casper-rw"
6. Try booting to the USB drive.

The Linux system on the USB drive will recognize the large ext2 partition as the "casper-rw" persistence space, and will use it, so you can have 10 GB of persistence space if you're using a 16 GB drive.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:36:20 pm

DanYHKim wrote:Persistence is maintained in a file called "casper-rw". Because the USB drive is formatted FAT32, the "casper-rw" file is limited to 4 GB, which can quickly be too little. It turns out that one can get around this by creating an ext2 partition on the USB drive that is named "casper-rw", to substitute for the persistence file.

It might be tricky to do this. I've done it on a 16GB USB drive thus:
1. Delete partitions on the USB drive using GParted.
2. Create a small partition formatted FAT32 (3 GB is plenty). Also, if you wish, create a 1 GB swap partition.
3. Install Zorin-OS to the FAT32 partition of the USB drive using Unetbootin, specifying a small persistence file (2 MB is enough).
4. Now, mount the USB drive somewhere and delete the casper-rw file in the FAT32 partition.
5. Using GParted, create a large ext2 partition on the USB drive (filling the remaining space, if desired). Name this "casper-rw"
6. Try booting to the USB drive.

The Linux system on the USB drive will recognize the large ext2 partition as the "casper-rw" persistence space, and will use it, so you can have 10 GB of persistence space if you're using a 16 GB drive.

Great Job! :D 60 blue jewels to you sir!

Wolfman

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:44:38 pm

Updated!. :D

Ratteler

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59:33 am

After about 5 different attempts, unetbootin for Mac failed completely. Had to burn the ISO to a DVD.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40:49 pm

Hi, I would raise your issue on Unetbootin forums - Zorin forum support is primarily for PC's but if you have the knowledge, please share Mac people out there! ;) :D

Ratteler

Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:35:16 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I would raise your issue on Unetbootin forums - Zorin forum support is primarily for PC's but if you have the knowledge, please share Mac people out there! ;) :D

Thanks. I'm actually on a Hackintosh as my main machine.
I'll get over there when I have a chance.