This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

able to repair crashed portable hard disk

sugind

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:14:15 pm

Hi all. i wanted to share one advantage of using zorin oS.i was having a 1000 GB portable seagate hard disk.somehow after using it in windows suddenly it became unusable in windows environment due to some sectors became unreadable.every time windows OS used to crash ,with blue screen of death.hard disk became unusable and it contained lots of useful data. thanks to zorin OS, after i installed i was able to access the hard disk and was able to get back most of the data.further the disk was formatted using disks application and now the hard disk is usable and detected in windows OS also.

star treker

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:47:45 pm

Good deal man! I too am able to boot into Zorin live on the USB stick and gain access to the files on my hard drive so that its not a total loss. However, word of advice, if you have Zorin installed on your computer, when it comes to the updates, don't let Zorin update your video driver. If you see it wanting to do it, deny it from updating. Cause Zorin updated my Nvidia driver, then all the sudden I lost the signal to all screens once the OS booted. Basically the update bricked the OS cause if I can't see anything, then I can't do anything. Now there might be a way to fix that if I hadn't disabled the boot loader, as I probably could have accessed advanced options to boot into a safe mode of sorts or something. Thats another piece of advice, don't disable the boot loader from loading up at the beginning of boot, just to speed up the boot time. I've learned my lesson, Zorin boots up plenty fast on an SSD, I can take the few seconds it takes to make a boot choice lol.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:34:24 pm

star treker wrote:Good deal man! I too am able to boot into Zorin live on the USB stick and gain access to the files on my hard drive so that its not a total loss. However, word of advice, if you have Zorin installed on your computer, when it comes to the updates, don't let Zorin update your video driver. If you see it wanting to do it, deny it from updating. Cause Zorin updated my Nvidia driver, then all the sudden I lost the signal to all screens once the OS booted. Basically the update bricked the OS cause if I can't see anything, then I can't do anything. Now there might be a way to fix that if I hadn't disabled the boot loader, as I probably could have accessed advanced options to boot into a safe mode of sorts or something. Thats another piece of advice, don't disable the boot loader from loading up at the beginning of boot, just to speed up the boot time. I've learned my lesson, Zorin boots up plenty fast on an SSD, I can take the few seconds it takes to make a boot choice lol.

To add to the graphics advice - don't use proprietary drivers! Life is much easier using the Nouveau GNU/Linux drivers! ;) :D