This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Too Many Sticky Posts

opticyclic

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:26:16 pm

I was looking for somewhere to post but each sub-forum I looked in appeared dead.
It took me a while to realise that there were up to date posts in a forum but they were being obscured by the sticky announcements.

There are now over 2 pages of announcements now and they are the same ones in every forum and thy obscure the actual content.

Can you collapse them by default to only show 3 or so and have an arrow to click to show the rest?

Alternatively, anyone good with UserJS/UserCSS to collapse them with Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey would be good too.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:40:38 pm

Hi, I would have liked the forum to have been like the now folded ultimateeditionoz website - some great Aussie work on that site using the same engine as this forum. I had asked for the announcements to be placed on the bottom but it is not possible for the guys to do that - whether it is a hosting issue I don't know - you could always PM zorink as he is the Admin responsible for the forum side of things. ;) :D

opticyclic

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:09:14 am

So far I have this but it is quite primitive.
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         Remove ZorinOS Announcements
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  Remove Announcements from ZorinOS forums
// @author       You
// @match        http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=*
// @require      http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.min.js
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

$('span:contains("Announcements")').closest('.contentwrapper').hide();
})();

It completely hides the Announcements.
An improvement would be to move the div to the bottom.
An even more advanced improvement would be to create a rollup/rolldown button for the div.

I think if someone puts the word Announcements in the subject of their post it will also hide the main set of posts too!

Del369

Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:49:48 pm

Gotta say I completely agree there's way to many stickies.
Stickies should be temporary, while relevant, someone should go through them and un-sticky the out of date and irrelevant ones as heart breaking as that may be :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52:16 pm

Well in the not too distant future from what I have learned is that the forum will be migrating so it's format may well become streamlined. Just for clarity are we talking [STICKY] posts or [GLOBAL] Announcements - Global need to remain as there are important documents there! :D

Del369

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:33:32 am

Thinking on it Announcements should have their own forum section, and I might be mistaken but it seems like all stickies are in all sections, if that is the case then splitting them to their respective sections would help, that way you'd manage to reclaim the top page of the forum again :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:15:07 pm

Del369 wrote:Thinking on it Announcements should have their own forum section, and I might be mistaken but it seems like all stickies are in all sections, if that is the case then splitting them to their respective sections would help, that way you'd manage to reclaim the top page of the forum again :)

Well I always wanted Zorin forum to take on a similar style to UltimateEditionOz forum which is sadly no more which used the same phpBB engine but better laid out and also had sections for other OS's and Windows help sections. The forum is in the process of being redesigned and a different platform. So here's hoping! :D

Del369

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:30:37 pm

Fingers crossed for that (and toes for luck) :mrgreen: