This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install or activate Python

Den Hook

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:12:02 pm

Just installed Zorin OS 12 Ultimate.

All's working fine and followed tips as activate Firewall etc. Now i wanted to check if Python was installed but couldn't find it (menu - programming). So i tried to get it from de software store, but i can't find it there either !

Does that mean that i have to download it from python.org (https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-360/) ?
and next question: How do i install it correctly after downloading the tar-file ?

Thanx

Den Hook

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43:12 pm

No response so far. So I've did some research and found this: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04

Should this be the way to install Python on a Linux-based OS like Ubuntu AND also Zorin OS ?

As soon as I got a new system running on Zorin OS, I'll give it a try.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31:53 pm

Hi, Please don't think I have been ignoring you - I don't code so can't provide you with an answer. ;) :D

Den Hook

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01:48 am

I've tried the procedure found on the site of digitalocean (see above).

This seems to work so far but with the following possible issues:

[*] It seems to me that python 3 was allready installed on Zorin-OS, but has to be activated.
[*] The procedure gives you a separate environment (directory en python virtual environment) so that you can work in python apart from the Zorin/Ubuntu/OS python-environment. So you cannot interfere. That's a good thing offcourse.
[*] The command to create a virtual environment (pyvenv in the description) is replaced by a new python-command (python3.6 -m venv). I've got an error-message but the results was allmost ok (the ls command gave same result except for the file "share" that was missing)
[*] the test to create a small python programm "Hello World" didn't work with the nano-editor. Possibly nano doesn't exist in Zorin. It worked well with the editor vi.

So no guarantee... next step... try to work with python. ;)

dwi0103

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:31:50 am

i have the same problem too. i had python 2 in terminal but there is no idle python everywhere....
i'm waiting for the reply in thi topic too.

Linx

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:57:32 pm

Open up a terminal window by pressing
[ctrl] + [alt] + [t]

Then run the following:
Code:
which python
which python3
which python2

It should show you what is installed and what isn't, I personally had no issues compiling the python code from source (basically the only thing I have ever compiled without issue.

You should be able to download a .tar.gz file from python.org and you will need to do something like this.
(Note: I'm doing this from memory so the steps will likely vary a little bit)
Code:
tar -xzvf <filename>.tar.gz
cd <TheExtractedDirectory>
./configure
make

The next part is pretty fuzzy so imma jot down a few things it might be you only need the one that works =P
Code:
sudo make altinstall
sudo make alt-install

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Python is installed in most distor's by default, to write a python script you really only need to a text editor save the file as a <filename>.py then change the permissions of the file with
Code:
chmod 750 <filename>.py

then you can run it using
Code:
python <filename>.py

maint1947

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19:51 am

Hello
This site has helped me a lot in the past couple of years. It includes programming tutorials and python tutorial.
Once have a look if you need any kind of help with python related programs

swara31

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:37:00 am

How to install Python?

zorinantwerp

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:07:14 pm

Hi

Zorin15 beta
goto menu/software
in search box fill in python

you can also follow the ubuntubook for latest version
Code:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2019/02/install-python-3-7-ubuntu-18-04/

+++

anderson26

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:21:14 pm

Hello,

Actually I don't have a knowledge of Zorin 12 ultimate version.What is the feature of zorin 12?
Thanks....

zorinantwerp

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:54:18 pm

anderson26 wrote:Hello,

Actually I don't have a knowledge of Zorin 12 ultimate version.What is the feature of zorin 12?
Thanks....

wrongly posted!
look here for details
https://zoringroup.com/blog/