This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

MBMz10

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:17:54 am

Well after some grief, disappointment, installations gone bad, surprises, bells and whistles, and the roller coaster ride that has been Zorin OS 12 I think I am in. Only reason I persisted is that Zorin do such a great job of making Zorin OS look good that I wanted that 'LOOK'. Most Ubuntu distro's seem just plain and 'Grey' in comparison.

I was disappointed that the desktop lost Compiz in OS 12, not just the eye candy but also the functionality that Compiz offers and this Gnome thing just felt clunky and tedious to me so I had some testing to do, this is what I have come up with thus far and I am rather happy with it even though its only about 8 hours old...

The single 'swipe and click' or 'center mouse button' to change virtual desktops that I could do in OS 11 and earlier was all but a deal breaker for me! Today I found a Gnome 'Hot Corner' extension that while not quiet as good as Compiz got me a little hopeful, it does seem to 'disable' the Zorin menu but I can live with that because I can also make app's load onto a predetermined desktop with another 'extension' and this is how I have used and had my systems set up ever since Zorin OS 8.

The weather app in the AWN panel (Cairo Dock also) that stopped working in OS 11 over a year ago was today replaced and activated, yeeee.
After my first 'smart phone' was found to be stalking me about 6 months ago, I have realized that at this stage I will 'use this technology' until such time as, well you get the idea. So another extension in the panel for Gmail. Integration with
Google drive and Drop Box seems to work well also.

My beloved and outdated but still sensational Cairo Dock working rather well 'down under' (I'm Aussie mate) and well I'm rather chuffed with myself. Please someone continue this app!

So far I haven't had any freezing or the "Sorry Zorin 12 has had Internal..." issues and this is the first install not to have these issues so far for me after installing it multiply times! Also this is installed on a "MintBox Mini" PC so no powerhouse there.

One other thing I would like to mention and I think others felt the same was while 'waiting' for OS 12 a shortage of information on progress made me wonder? Just a few little 'snippets' here and there on the forum/blog/home page would have made all the difference, not a blow by blow on whats happening but just something to allow us to know you are still there working on it! It felt a little 'proprietary' rather than 'open' like Linux.

A few Screen shots;
Desktop Updated.jpg

Boxing Day.jpg

Overview.jpg

star treker

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:04:00 pm

Thankyou for your review. If you've been following me on the site, you will also know that I have had my fair share of issues with OS 12. IMO it was a mistake to go with gnome shell, and to drop KDE desktop. Compiz can be installed after the fact but it makes very little difference when making settings changes, because of the lack of compatibility. Only Ubuntu Tweak tool seems to have any difference with settings changes on the system, also Dconf works well too. There is also a major glitch in regards to Nvidia drivers on 2 GPU based notebook's in regards to Zorin OS 12 as well. It toasted my login, I mean, I can still login and all, but the login page is all screwed up looking.

It also screwed up my desktop and I had to turn a bunch of extensions back on for Zorin. It also reactivated gnome screensaver and messed up my xscreensavers. So I had to re-disable gnome screensaver, (which btw isn't really a screensaver for goodness sakes, screen just goes black) and reactivated xscreensaver service daemon. I think personally there is a lot of bugs they need to role out of the system before it can be considered a mainstreem OS.

The thing that Windows users want more then anything is an OS that just works out of the box. And Windows users were also attracted by the fact that Zorin looked like Windows, so that Windows users, could more easily migrate into Linux. My experience with OS 9 was considerably better then my experience with OS 12. Infact, the only deal breaker issue I had with OS 9, is that the tiny boot partition would fill up too fast after kernal updates, and I had to use a janitor tool in Tweak to clean it out, so my system could continue getting updates.

And truth is there are better looking Linux OS's out there then Zorin, look at Commodore 64 Linux OS from like 4 years ago, sucker is beautiful with all that blue and glassy buttons, plus it has sound effects for the whole shell and everything, just a beautifully polished OS IMO. My new years resolution for 2017 is that I will be removing Zorin at some point and installed Ubuntu Mate. I've learned that its bug free and it just works out of the box.

Yes, I agree, Ubuntu Mate does not look like Windows no, but I am guess I can learn how to make it look as close to Windows as possible. I guess what I am trying to say is, I need the back end core area of the OS to function well, over having eye candy, which frankly OS 12 has very little eye candy if you asked me. Again just my opinion, but I've seen other OS's like Commodore 64 on Spatry's Cup Of Linux channel, and that is the deffinition of eye candy if you asked me lol.

MBMz10

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:03:15 pm

I was hoping that OS 12 would be similar to what OS 11 (and 10) did from OS 9. I still have OS 9 on my 'test and work rig' just an old core 2 duo with 4GB RAM but it just works for me and does everything I want it to do and more. Solid as Uluru (Ayers Rock). A few issues with OS 11, mainly with Cairo Dock and Unetbootin from my perspective and also some other features that worked better than OS 9. So I was really looking forward to OS 12, especially since 11 was out of support.

Gnome, shell, extensions and whatever else it is just doesn't work like the earlier versions of Zorin.

As far a Windows goes, well I dual boot (Win 10) with OS 11 (now Mint Mate 18) on my 'main PC' and only use Windows for Gaming so each time I start it maybe a week or two apart it spends about forever updating and restarting and telling me not to turn off my computer, then if it finishes - Nvidia has a crack at ownership of my PC and well now I'm just not in the mood anymore... Please define " an OS that just works out of the box" @?%#

Eye Candy, Ultimate Edition, only trouble is it only lasts about 5 minutes, if I even install it, because nothing works and everything is broken but damn some of them look amazing. Like a $50,000 paint job on a HQ Holden...
I would rate Windows XP as one of the better OS's I have used and likely Zorin OS 9 as my personal best. This new OS 12 is great looking like a 'supercar' but still not sure I want to take it down to get the milk. I am willing to give it a go and see 'how she goes' so time will tell.
At this stage I'll continue to run it on my 'daily driver run around' machine but not the main PC, that is what the sad part is me, I really like the 'look and feel' of Zorin. Nothing wrong with Linux Mint Mate 18 with Compiz/Cairo but just not the same as Zorin, well the Zorin that I knew before...

star treker

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:23:24 pm

Since my last post here, I have found a page on PCWORLD that explains how to do a complete Windows 7 themed makeover on Ubuntu. I will be installing Ubuntu Mate for my core OS, no it won't be coming with all the fancy apps and games that Zorin comes with. But anyone who knows how to work a software center and synaptic package manager, much less knows how to install PPA's, can get all those fancy apps and games installed manually. And I now have some experience with linux because of Zorin, so I should be ok with just some instructions.

The complete themed makeover involves getting rid of the desktop that comes with Ubuntu Mate, and what I will be doing is installed XFCE desktop, which apparantly is highly customisable. And then from there I will be running command line codes to install packages and to also change configurations around. Basically, once I am all done with it, its going to look almost completely identical to Windows 7.

Yes, I agree Windows XP was actually one of my most favorite OS's. After the first service pack was issued, Windows XP worked really well, it worked so well infact that even after service pack 3 was issued, people were still using Windows XP 12 years later!!! I was one of them! I didn't switch to Windows 7 till 2012! Now I only had a short learning curve with Windows 7 but I learned to love it to because it worked really well, that was until 3 years later. Then my BSOD's started, so I knew something went terribly wrong with the OS, and never found out the cause.

The thing I like is to be able to have the security of linux and the functionality of linux, but while having a windows theme. I however don't want a Windows 10 theme, and most certainly don't want a POS Windows 8 theme. But Windows 7 is just perfect. Well I hope that Zorin OS 12 works out for ya in the end. But it just sh*** its pants far too often for me.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37:26 pm

If you like Windows the ink you should really like London 12 Beta from Makulu Linux. It even comes with Word and Excel 365 links that work as I sadly occasionally have to use at work. If you look hard enough for Win2.7-7 that even boots with the Win7 swirl. :lol:

MBMz10

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:34:13 am

I like the 'thin frame borders' that Zorin do. The colors and theme changers. Background plus with the 'Matrix Rain Code', this looks awesome on the 'cube' with Cairo Dock hidden...music belting out! The thin scroll bars that got changed in OS 11 (10??) and additions theme colors are an example of the direction I anticipated OS 12 was heading.

I couldn't count the number of times I have installed and tried different Linux Distro's over the last 3 or 4 years, with multiply machines and spare drives I have tinkered a lot. It is good fun. I have tried downloading themes and theme packs from gnome look etc but its just not the same. I still think Zorin make one of the best looking distro's. It is still early days for OS 12 and I do recall having the occasional issue with new OS's however Zorin have patched them fairly quick also.

I might give that Win 7 theme a go on Ubuntu Mate just for fun as its raining here today, the fridge is full (just gone past the yard arm here to) and time is my friend ATM.

After Zorin Desktop xfce is my preferred choice of DE. Very customizable and friendly to changes. I had it with Mint 18 on here B4 Zorin 12 BTW. Cinnamon is nice but I love the cube, KDE has cube but I don't know how to make it work like the Compiz one, mouse wheel down to rotate?

And I have tried a few Makulu versions also, he does put a lot of effort into them. I wish those UE (Ultimate Edition) distro's worked as well as they look!

Maybe its time I learned to Code or develop my own desktop??? I have been spoiled so far.

One last and important point is the freedom GNU/Linux gives along with security, desktop environments distro choices and on the long list goes. For me it just works. Long live LINUX

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:41:29 am

One of my favourite Oz distros was OZDIAMONDB-II based on Ubuntu 13.10 best voice greeter at login screen and best startup sound.

https://vimeo.com/126311678

MBMz10

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:23:02 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:If you like Windows the ink you should really like London 12 Beta from Makulu Linux. It even comes with Word and Excel 365 links that work as I sadly occasionally have to use at work. If you look hard enough for Win2.7-7 that even boots with the Win7 swirl. :lol:

Do you have a link for "London 12 Beta from Makulu Linux" as I searched his web site with no joy! Or did you mean LinDoz 12 and your dumb phone was being smart again :lol:

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:03:42 pm

:D :lol: :oops:

star treker

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:09:00 pm

IMO, it was a mistake to go with Gnome shell in Zorin OS 12, I am not the only one with this opinion. Total OS Today is a respected member in the Linux community, and he loved all Zorin distro versions up until now because of Gnome shell. Its in both my opinion, as well as TOS, that Zorin needs to get rid of Gnome in favor of a more friendly XFCE interface that plays well with everything. And I read your post Swarf and I'd like to say that there might be a missunderstanding here. As I am learning Linux more and more, I am finding it a little easier to use then I did in the beginning, I am getting more comfortable with the terminal. I am still no programmer, but I am able to easily follow along a post guide and copy and paste codes into terminal to get stuff done. So thats another plus on the Linux side lol. Having said that however, I still find the look of Windows 7 to be supperior, I like the way things are laid out in the shell and everything.

And truthfully, its just so nice to know that Linux in general is so customisable with XFCE desktop. Because let me tell you something, Windows is nowhere near as customisable as Linux is. Oh sure in Windows you can change your wallpaper background, and maybe change some theme colors, but thats it. Say your someone who doesn't like the default look of Windows, well, if your using Windows, your rather stuck there lol. So its just nice that Linux allows you to customise so much. Now unfortunately because of the direction that Zorin decided to take with the current shell, its made the system less customisable then it could be for a Linux based distrobution. So hopefully if they bring back XFCE desktop in the next distrobution, get rid of Gnome shell, then maybe Zorin will be back on top again. One of the things I do like about Zorin however is I love how if you purchase the ultimate edition, you get all these fancy apps and games installed for you, that is nice.

That is one thing I will be lacking when I do install Ubuntu Mate, I won't have any of that, and I will have to manually get those installed. Its not the end of the world, anyone with a little bit of Linux knowledge, who can also lookups installation guides on the net, can get all those apps and games installed. ;) I will be honest and say that I did prefer Zorin OS 9, except for that one major issue with the updates deal lol. So Zorin is a really good starter OS I think, thats how I started guys. I want to give you another thankyou Swarf for helping me solve some issues with my OS and teaching me stuff which I didn't understand before. Zorin could really use you on the development team. Cause you know what people want and need, and you seem to have a good grasp of the essentials.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:49:41 pm

Thanks star treker - well I've broken 12 in that I have lost my logout on the menu - those three buttons that were there once are no longer there. Out of curiosity, I am now going to inistall xfce desktop to see if I can totally screw it! :lol: 8-)

UPDATE - they aren't gone! When i was posting for mdiener on how to uninstall Wine - the old chestnut that plagued earlier versions of Zorin has returned - namely the panel hiding the bottom segment of the menu! :lol: :shock: :o

star treker

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:15:11 am

Since Zorin is based off of Zorin, theoretically, I could do the XFCE theme makeover on Zorin I would assume. But the reason I am not going to do that is because Zorin OS is so darn buggy, that I feel that all I'd get out of it is a Windows 7 theme look, but with an OS that don't want to chooch. I mean, you can try doing the theme makeover there Swarf and get back to me on weather or not the OS is working ok but I seriously dout it will cause its Zorin. The link bellow to doing the makeover is bellow...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028896/ ... ows-7.html

MBMz10

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:13:01 am

Not sure I've tried to install xfce on 12 yet but I did try the same Win 7 tutorial from your link above a few days ago on a fresh install of Ubuntu Mate and failed spectacularly, the post is from 2013 and it just didn't work for me. Have fun though!
I have had Cairo Dock and Compiz installed and working really good on OS 12. But, all the beautiful Zorin theming is lost, bugger. If someone knows how to do this I would love to know.

I also installed LinDoz 12 the Makulu Windows 7 spin. if you like Win 7 you just might like it. I think its a Cinnamon re-skin, I've hardly ever used or seen Win 7 but thought it looked pretty good.

Swarfendor, you must have 'indicator 3' virus!

Well Zorin lite isn't out yet so maybe, just maybe???

As far as the change to Gnome for Zorin I'm sure it wasn't a decision that they took lightly and thus gave them the best overall platform from which to base their business on. I read on the blog a few weeks ago that over 140,000 downloads. Even if just a few percentage of that was Ultimate/Business (paid) versions then they have real life business decisions to make. So a lot of factors and sacrifices personal/professional/business likely went into the decision making process, I don't envy them at all. A rock and a hard place I would think. Unfortunately some of us didn't really like the result, you can please some of the people some of the time...
That said I 'knew' what I was getting into when I decided to purchase Ultimate as I had the opportunity to test the core version before hand. I still like to feel like I am supporting what I believe to be a good thing, Zorin OS.
I would be thrilled if they made a Compiz/Cairo version, hint hint. Meanwhile I continue to test and tweak what I have. I have learned new stuff, Linux is challenging me again. Windows would just *&^% me off.

star treker

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:03:27 am

OMG, thankyou so much for the much needed update! I didn't think that post in 2013 would have been made irrelevant with Ubuntu 16.04! Well I took a big look at Lindoz and I have to say that I am really really impressed with all the video's I've seen of it on youtube. However, it appears to be in beta form and has been since I believe September 2016. So its taking a long time to come to full release. I am really hoping it gets fully released in a month from now cause I am really excited about it! I'd even install the beta version if I have to, cause it looks really well polished with no bugs or glitches. I had no idea there was an OS out there that was so successful at multiple windows theme changes, when I saw the guy changing everything with such full customization I was like, DAM! lol :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12596#p55595

Lindoz is in Beta still due to lack of donations. Jacque has already had to shut down his official website. The other major point about Makulu Linux (and LXLE):

1. Clam AV included by default.

2. dConf Editor I clouded by default.

3. Firewall not only included but set to 'ON' by default - you still have to switch on manually in Zorin12.

4. Synaptic Package Manager included by default.

Whilst 12 may be beautiful to look at, as in all things, beauty is only skin deep. I have noticed for some time now with each release it is becoming ever more Zorin than GNU/Linux. In its defence it has always stated GNU/Linux when booting off live media, unlike arrogant Ubuntu which states 'Ubuntu with Linux' making it out to be greater than Linux and no acknowledgement of Stallman's GNU for without it Linux would not run - period!

I'm going back to Zorin 11 - endof. :twisted:

[Footnote: xfce would only install live desktop but not add DE. In the past I could install LXDE but not at all in 12]

star treker

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:03:58 pm

Since my last post here, I had a chance to download the beta and run in Oracle's Virtual Box. I already know running live in a VB will be limited vs just booting computer up into live via USB. However, I didn't feel like putting the beta on my flash drive at this time. My experience with Makulu Lindoz has been a good one for the most part. One of the issues you get running in a VB, is that you can't use an Nvidia drivers with the OS, as the VB your using provides the video drivers for you, so I wasn't able to test how well Lindoz works with Nvidia drivers. Another thing that seemed to not be working, again probably due to running in a VB, I couldn't get networking to work, meaning it wouldn't see my network NAS, but I did have full internet connectivity to browse the net. Lindoz actually comes with more administrative apps then Zorin does right out of the box, as Swarf pointed out in his last post, so no need to repeat that. But it also comes with some software that Zorin doesn't have either. Lindoz doesn't have Libre Office installed, but could be installed manually. It has WPS writer installed, but also appears to have Windows versions of Microsoft Word and Excell on there, which apparently just needs your Microsoft login to access them.

That function was not working cause again, running in a VB. However, the OS as a whole was running very stable even in a VB, cause I left it running all day and night and it never crashed on me, not once! Zorin crashed on me right away after installing and this was the full release. Lindoz has better theme packages then Zorin does, it allows more customisation of everything due to XFCE. See how much about Linux I am learning, its a miracle. :D The browsers it comes with are Firefox, Chromium, but as you know, you could always install the real Chrome browser to get Netflix streaming, or other browser you prefer. I've started testing and using the Vivaldi browser, which is as customisable as XFCE, and have installed a few extensions to it to add to improve my browsing experience. The other issue I had with Lindoz, but this is one i don't blame on VB, as I believe its a bug, which has also been reported, is that when you change your background wallpaper, it doesn't wanna stick for longer then a few seconds, as it gets automatically changed by the system.

Again miner bugs are no big deal, as they will usually get rolled out with the next update or full release of the software. What I will say is there are more background wallpapers available then Zorin has, and its in my humble opinion, that the wallpapers available in Lindoz are 100 times more beautiful then those you get included with Zorin. Jack, the developer of Makulu Linux, may not have a full release of his OS yet, but he seems to understand the right direction to take regarding his OS, where as I feel that Zorin has lost its way. Total OS Today use to rank Zorin as number 1 OS for beginner, number 1! Think about how hard it would be to get a number 1 rank in the linux community with the vast majority of OS's out there. But because of what Zorin did in OS 12, TOS now ranks zorin number 8. With Ubuntu Mate being his new number 1 pick for beginners.

Personally, just from what I've been experiencing with the beta version so far of Makulu Lindoz 12, I personally would rank Makulu Lindoz as number 1 OS for beginners, if they get their full release out. Windows users want the amazingness that makes up Linux, but windows users also want something they are comfortable with. Windows users are not comfortable with straight out of the box Linux. But with some Windows theme packages we can choose to make the OS feel less dawnting and combersome, we will be ready to enjoy Linux. Its my personal opinion that I am giving Makulu Lindoz a thumbs up, as I think its an OS that most Windows users need. Its stable, beautiful, and easy to add software. Dont' forget that it comes with several package managers already installed by default to make that process easier.

If I were not poor, I would be donating money to help Jack, the only way I can help him right now is to spread the word about Makulu Linux. But so far I am very pleased with his OS just running in a VB! :D

EDIT: I just found out from the Makulu Lindoz chat that the wallpaper changing like it does is not indeed a bug, but it is intentional by an app module called Variety. And as I understand it, the setting for the wallpaper system can be changed to stop alternating if I don't want it to. Cool stuff. :)

EDIT 2: I have a friend who got in contact with Jack on Facebook, its been confirmed that Jack is actually hard at work and that the project isn't dead. Infact, Jack wasn't very pleased with how his beta came out, so he's working on his new OS, that in his own words, will be far better then what we have seen thus far. Also, I forgot to mention earlier that unlike Zorin, which has no screensavers by default without installing 3rd party software such as Xscreensavers, Makulu Lindoz comes loaded with what seemed to be 100 screen savers. So thats yet another plus right there IMO. ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:55:37 pm

Hi star treker, don't want to digress too much now as this is a forum for Zorin but you can change or remove changing wallpapers/frequency:

Variety.jpg

MBMz10

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59:43 pm

Just for a giggle I searched Synaptic in OS 12, found and installed "Variety". I got an error saying to run it from terminal with the -v flag...The error wouldn't close so I restarted the computer and now my wallpaper is changing every 30 seconds as I set it to.

Even Cairo Dock found it...
Variety.jpg

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:26:28 pm

Just to add there is another setting under Effects to also edit to change timings as well as on the general tab:

VarietyEffects.jpg

Nice going MBMz10 :D

Haven't got round to putting 11 back on yet - 12 has gone! Waiting to see if UltimateEdition 5.1 is out of alpha that will replace Win10. :D

MBMz10

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:48:34 pm

I think I still have my OS 11 "Image" file on the NAS. What are the consequence's of using something that is no longer supported? Think I used XP for a while! Then discovered LINUX.
I replaced OS 11 with Linux Mint Mate 18 on the 'main PC' just before moving house and OS 12 was out (beta just came out) but it (Mate) is not quiet the same.
Also I think I recall another user (Qnarkill I think?) mention that they had Butchered and repaired (install later Kernel or such) so is that an option?
Zorin Lite not yet out so that may even be an option, maybe perhaps might be.
Bit of "Tron" going on I see.

star treker

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08:14 am

Using outdated versions just means you don't get security updates anymore big deal. Secure your computer, your network, and your fine.

Swarf, I see you are discovering the wonders and beauties of Makulu. ;) I fell in love with it so much I had to stop doing VB, and use Etcher to put Makulu on my flash drive, and I got it booted over the flash drive using USB 3.0, and the drive memory itself is fast too in teh reads, no not as much as an SSD, thats impossible! LOL But fast enough. I love how much of it I can customize, and I love the true Windows look, and the ability to choose your version of Windows you want is a big plus. The OS has been running rock stable for a Beta release and I am just tickled by that. I have gotten in touch with the developer and this is what he said recently.

"Hey guys, just to let you know, i am still working on the new beta build, making progress, hope to have some positive news in the next few days :D Having some issues implementing a new kernel into the build, so just working through that, progress is being made :D "

So its clear that if he can overcome the kernal issue, he might just have some news for us, that may or may not be the soon to be full release coming out. I am really hoping so, because let me tell you something Swarf, my Zorin Os is vomit now. If I reboot the computer, Zorin resets my sound output to speakers from HDMI where it should be. When I go to login, the screen blanks, and power is lost to the external keyboard, which requires opening notebook lid, and hitting a key, to fire things up after logging in, then its good.

I gave Zorin a good run, no one could say I didn't, but its just not working out. I have better luck running this beta release. Now I have heard bad news about the Nvidia drivers, big surprise right? lol But hopefully if he can get his full release worked out to be compatible with Nvidia drivers, I can get my gaming notebook back online at full performance. But for right now with default drivers, I will say I am totally in love with Makulu.

Perhaps this is the compitition Zorin needs to do a better job? Cause IMO Gnome shell is a complete failure. Its why you both are talking about going back to Zorin 11. ;)

MBMz10

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:48:45 am

I sort of thought that Zorin was heading in certain direction, progressing and moving towards that end. But as we know it changed overnight to something new and different.
Just like a relationship that has a radical change, implications are pending. Sometimes for the best even though it might be hard to see that for the 'other' person. Guess we are the other person in this case.
Growth is inevitable for both parties, confusion despair and whatever else follows. I think I am over dramatizing the whole thing but the process is about the same.

I re-installed the LinDoz beta today (test rig), just a little to much stuff going on for me but to each their own I guess.
Not sure what I am going to do at this stage but still have Zorin 12 on my little 'daily driver' , Zorin 9 on my test/work machine (damn its awesome), Linux Mint Mate 18.1 (and Win 10 in UEFI mode) on the 'main PC' because Compiz and Cairo Dock work with it. Linux Mint 18 xfce and Win 10 (dual boot) on my laptop, it just works. I did use to have Zorin on everything...

The main PC is my main issue, what to do with it, time will tell I guess. Don't like to muck with it to much as UEFI is, well, if you have used it you will know.

Ga Nome Shell, yer. Yep that's why I am talking about options. Just clunky and tedious, I'm tolerating it ATM but not really that happy with it, just the 'looks' keeping me going!

If LinDoz is working for you and looks like a final release out soon then more power to you I guess. Maybe I play with it a bit more and see. I don't use Zorin for the "Windows" compatibility but because it looks so good and works the way I like my OS to work, well until OS 12 that is. Also I have been surprised at just how well earlier (9, 10 & 11) versions of Zorin have performed and been able to do all the things that I wanted to do. Often I thought that 'Zorin' won't to such and such, I'll need some Arch based or fully fledged Linux distro for that but no Zorin has just amazed me so far. It is no toy OS that's for sure.

star treker

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59:36 pm

Thankyou for taking the time to share with us your opinions based on your usage. I do agree that as long as Zorin is not crashing, and its doing everything you need it to do, there is no need to change. It takes work installing a new OS, then installing the apps you need, then configurating everything. There is no need to do all that if things are setup how you like it. ;) I am only doing this because things are not working out for me, and my usage requirement of an OS goes beyond the general use of a computer, I have higher demands that have to be met, one of them is Nvidia drivers, another is Windows software compatibility, and yes Lindoz does come with Wine already installed but I haven't messed with it yet. Al the ability to change my Windows theming is just out of this park awesome :D

Don't get me wrong, Zorin has got its fine points too, I really like Zorin's integration of the accessibility tool. Truthfully though, I was on the fence with the Gnome Shell in the very beginning, you can read my reviews on it to see that is true, but now I have experienced it more then enough to come to a conclusion that GS is just terrible. I understand that some sacrifices had to be made to achieve their goal, but its IMO that the wrong sacrifices were made. ;)

Swarf! :D It would make me really happy if you joined the Cup Of Linux community, it be nice to have conversations with you there, and you certainly are quite knowledgeable on Linux, that you could help out many people there. And besides, your such a helpful and nice person, you'd be an asset to the community. And I am also a new member on a new site that was built, if he decides to tell you guys about it, then I'd sure love to have you there as well. But out of respect for him, I am letting him make the choice to tell you guys all about it. ;)

And the latest update for those interested from Jack, newer computers require the latest kernal, and the latest kernal is not playing nice with the Constructor tool. He's been in contact with the developer of that software and they said they are having the same problems. If those problems can be resolved, it looks like we have a full release upon us. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24:24 pm

Hi, my makulu beta went west yesterday with the fateful apt error reported on other distros which basically removes everything - I can't find the links now but after running dpkg in Beta as it was stalling at bootsplash instead of getting Y/N at end of process was asked to enter a phrase something like 'Yes, I agree to everthing' which basically removes the entire system. Some sort of apt error.

Just done a screencast of SolydXK star treker - the firewall there has the Samba (CIFS) exception already present in the firewall! - Will be posting stills of welcome screen etc in 'Other OS' Discussion Board. :D

star treker

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36:33 pm

Thankyou Swarf for being such a valued member of the community. :)

I am sorry to hear you ran into such a dangerious glitch, I thankfully have not run into that, probably cause I haven't installed any software manually yet. Remember it is in BETA. So I am sure the full release will be more reliable then that. I always appreciate your screenshots, as they give me context as to what your doing, and what errors you might be getting. It be nice to get you in the Zorin IRC chatroom, or the Makululinux chatroom. Be great to have conversations if you had the time. ;)

Alright keep doing what your doing ;)

Lin66

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11:07 am

star treker wrote:Swarf! :D It would make me really happy if you joined the Cup Of Linux community, it be nice to have conversations with you there, and you certainly are quite knowledgeable on Linux, that you could help out many people there. And besides, your such a helpful and nice person, you'd be an asset to the community. And I am also a new member on a new site that was built, if he decides to tell you guys about it, then I'd sure love to have you there as well. But out of respect for him, I am letting him make the choice to tell you guys all about it. ;)

Unfortunately the strictest policies I ever seen about "commercial" sites I am not even allowed to put in my signatures. It is the most insane policies I had ever seen on a board but it's their resources not my.

MBMz10

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:11:09 pm

At this stage I have 'pulled' the Zorin 12 image from the machine and put Mint 18 xfce image that I was using back on it. Zorin 11 was on it but as support had ended sometime before the new edition (12) was released Mint went on
I fresh installed Zorin 11 back onto my test rig and I just sat there admiring it, the dreaded AWN indicator 3 issue was no where to be seen. This PC also has Zorin 12 core, Makulu LinDoz Beta, Solydk and whatever else on it.

I wasn't/aren't a Zorin user for the Windows look/compatibility, infact I have never really thought that it looks or behaves like windows myself. I started my Linux experience with Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon and thought it looked and felt rather like Windows with a different theme on it but each to there own I guess. Then discovered Zorin 8, with COMPIZ and wow I was hooked. It crashed a lot on me but OS 9 soon arrived and I got the Ultimate version that is still on the SSD in my test/work rig.

I had posted some Zorin 12 videos on YouTube and together with some of the issues that I've seen on here got me thinking. Simple things like putting a shortcut on the desktop just too hard for the average or new new Linux user. The bugs with Gnome extensions no right clicking or dragging from the menu, how is this like "Windows"? Has Zorin lost its way/identity?

I was never a Gnome fan or Unity for that matter and this has kinda solidified that for me. Guess I'll just use Mint and hope Zorin returns from the darkness with lucky OS 13, or maybe OS 12.1 Compiz edition...lol

star treker

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59:58 am

Thankyou so much for telling it like it is MBMz10, I really appreciate your thoughts, experience, and written review. Ya, I think Zorin has lost their way, but you know, this might be the kind of thing that Zorin needs to remind them to do better.

BTW what does your username stand for? I was thinking it was something like Motherboard Memory Zorin OS 10 hehe :D

MBMz10

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44:23 am

When I joined the Zorin forum your asked for a username and password etc. I had just got my Mint Box Mini and Zorin 10 had just came out so your on the money almost. It is a mini PC, my 'daily driver'. Runs on the smell of an electron or proton or something, 4.5 watts but need to crank it all the way up to 8.5 watts to get it going. Bit slow compared to my i5 6600k (around 140 watts) or the old 'test rig' dual core @3.0GHz (170 watts) but still fine to use and can leave it running all day or use it to do mass downloads overnight without sucking up to much juice! This was also my opportunity to 'donate' something back to the Linux Mint Team who got me my start with Linux.

And yes these are just my thoughts, Zorin are free to do what they want just as we are also, that is 'open source' freedom at its best. I still want the 12.1 Compiz version though...

star treker

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40:01 am

I think there is a bit of confusion here. I never asked you for your username or password, that would be a security breech and just plane stupid. I asked what your username stood for, thats all.

For example, mine is Star Treker, this has two meanings. First it means that I am a Star Trek fan, which was probably obvious to everyone who has seen my username lol. I am also an explorer, and so it would be a dream for me to navigate the stars, hence, treker lol.

Have a truly wonderful day, and remember, don't do **** ;)

MBMz10

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35:22 pm

No confusion. Just a little 'back story' to put it in some context. All good.

I was watching "Contact" and breaking my fresh Zorin OS 11 install on the test rig when I replied last night, FYI :D
Upgraded OS 11 to 16.04, more to come on this.

I live 'out in the sticks' in OZ, on a dark clear night you can almost see the Big Bang :mrgreen:
The sky is just awesome here.

star treker

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45:52 am

Awww, I envy you because of that! I love outer space, one of my dreams is to travel the stars, how lucky are you ;) See, where I live up north, we have a lot of clouds in the sky, and so most of the time I don't get to see the stars. But on those rare occasions, like about a week ago, I got to see some of them, and it was fascinating! :D Thankyou for sharing that, and I also wish you luck on the upgrade of the OS. I got the disk for Ubuntu Mate sitting right next to me. I have contemplated installing it, but when I ordered the disk, this was before I discovered Makulu Lindoz. And now that I am aware that Jacque is soon to have it finnished, it kind of renders the point of installed Ubuntu Mate kind of mute.

I'd like to have a faster computer eventually as a test rig, but right now the only desktop machine I have left is that old single core 64 bit AMD, and those computer's really arn't designed for modern OS's that require more then a single core to get stuff done. I assume your test rig is at least a dual core right?

MBMz10

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:33:23 am

star treker wrote:Awww, I envy you because of that! I love outer space, one of my dreams is to travel the stars, how lucky are you ;) See, where I live up north, we have a lot of clouds in the sky, and so most of the time I don't get to see the stars. But on those rare occasions, like about a week ago, I got to see some of them, and it was fascinating! :D Thankyou for sharing that, and I also wish you luck on the upgrade of the OS. I got the disk for Ubuntu Mate sitting right next to me. I have contemplated installing it, but when I ordered the disk, this was before I discovered Makulu Lindoz. And now that I am aware that Jacque is soon to have it finnished, it kind of renders the point of installed Ubuntu Mate kind of mute.

I'd like to have a faster computer eventually as a test rig, but right now the only desktop machine I have left is that old single core 64 bit AMD, and those computer's really arn't designed for modern OS's that require more then a single core to get stuff done. I assume your test rig is at least a dual core right?

Test rig is a "Core 2 Duo" I think its called, running @3.0GHz (E8400?) 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD 320GB HDD. I built it about 8 or 10 years ago and it was my only machine until a few years ago. It had a 2.5GHz CPU (E5200?) but upgraded to 3GHz for about $8.00 about a year ago.

Australian outback is renowned for its stunning sky view at night, thought you'd like that! ;)

Well Zorin 11 upgrade to 16.04 looked great at first. Then I realized some of the 'Zorin' stuff had changed and some of the theming was lost. EG: no apps would appear on the AWN panel when running. I installed Cairo Dock and configured it but yep it is basically a broken distro at this stage.
Damn Zorin 11 looks great though!

star treker

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35:41 am

Many seem to want to return to version 11, which that tells you a lot IMO. Of course most of us have no access to 11 cause they decided to remove all NON-LTS versions off their site. And thats a nice test rig you built, I think thats good enough to test all operating systems up to maybe 5 years into the future, then you will need a Quad core or better. And keep enjoying them stars :)

MBMz10

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28:48 am

My 'main PC' runs Linux Mint 18 Mate Edition (was Zorin 11 Ultimate) dual boots with Windows 10 UEFI is an i5 6600k with 16GB RAM and GTX1070 GPU, I built it back about May 2016. So got the Quad Core part already sorted. I moved house a few months ago (to the sticks) so was going to give the old dual core to someone that might have use for it as it was only worth about $50 to sell but I got no takers so it became my test rig.

This is one of the reasons I was really looking forward to OS 12, new PC new OS good to go for the next 5 years or so. Mint is OK just that I miss the Zorin touch. Well I continue to hope Zorin release 12.1 Compiz Edition...

I have seen links for Zorin 11, maybe even on this forum somewhere! Cheers.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01:23 pm

star treker wrote:Many seem to want to return to version 11, which that tells you a lot IMO. Of course most of us have no access to 11 cause they decided to remove all NON-LTS versions off their site. And thats a nice test rig you built, I think thats good enough to test all operating systems up to maybe 5 years into the future, then you will need a Quad core or better. And keep enjoying them stars :)

Nope!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/11/

BonusBrain

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16:20 pm

This is an old thread now but some recent changes might suit some folks viewing it.
Zorin Lite 12.3 is now based on Xfce and Compiz/Emerald will install and work fine with it.
You can add further enhancements directly into .themes, and/or .icons.
I use the ChaletOS-W10-W theme as a base and then add Emerald window borders, wobbly windows etc.
There's not so much complete control as there was with OS 9, but IMO there is enough to satisfy plus more stability and a more certain future that moving to say Makulu.

A couple of screenshots as illustration for custom themes - Zorin Lite 12.2 and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123266
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123351

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42:11 pm

BonusBrain wrote:This is an old thread now but some recent changes might suit some folks viewing it.
Zorin Lite 12.3 is now based on Xfce and Compiz/Emerald will install and work fine with it.
You can add further enhancements directly into .themes, and/or .icons.
I use the ChaletOS-W10-W theme as a base and then add Emerald window borders, wobbly windows etc.
There's not so much complete control as there was with OS 9, but IMO there is enough to satisfy plus more stability and a more certain future that moving to say Makulu.

A couple of screenshots as illustration for custom themes - Zorin Lite 12.2 and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123266
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123351

Nice! :D :D :D

MBMz10

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47:44 am

Hi BonusBrain, can you run Compiz with the Zorin theme, if so how to do?